IGNORED

Rob Hubbard on the Atari 8-Bit

abbotkinneydude

Hello everyone !

Did Rob Hubbard only write music for five games on the Atari 8-Bit platform ?

I'm thinking of:

- Jet Set Willy

- Extirpator

- International Karate (World Karate Championship)

- Warhawk

- Ninja

Is there any other title I'm missing ?

Thanks.

Edited by pierreandre

Thanks ! I didn't know about The Last V8 being written by Rob Hubbard.

I've been comparing both the C64 and ATARI versions of those five tracks and I just wanted to make sure that it was the same author (I understand the conversion can be done by someone else).

BTW- Warhawk and Ninja are much more moody (at least their respective intros) on the C64 before kicking into high gear. In comparison, the ATARI version starts at full tempo right away.

I don't know if anyone has asked before but is there a decent tracker on the Mac to create Pokey tunes ?

Thank you.

Danke Schön Heaven ! I didn't know about Virtual Box (only Parallels).

I'll take a look at what XP install it requires.

Miker - Thanks for the file; I didn't know at all about that cover.

The use of a tracker with a dev machine like a MAC or a PC is a great idea but I'm wondering if anyone has ever plugged a midi keyboard (with translation of midi commands) into an Atari tracker (let alone an Atari machine); that would make the use of pitch bends and aftertouch much easier. :-)

Danke Schön Heaven ! I didn't know about Virtual Box (only Parallels).

I'll take a look at what XP install it requires.

Miker - Thanks for the file; I didn't know at all about that cover.

The use of a tracker with a dev machine like a MAC or a PC is a great idea but I'm wondering if anyone has ever plugged a midi keyboard (with translation of midi commands) into an Atari tracker (let alone an Atari machine); that would make the use of pitch bends and aftertouch much easier. :-)

RMT also works fine under wine, so if you do not want to bother with installing XP inside Virtual Box, you can install debian stable and use wine.

The music of Thrust was also composed by Rob Hubbard but the Atari 8-bit conversion is definitely not done by him.

B.T.W. Orall Cornelius did convert some Rob Hubbard tunes for some unrelated Atari 8-bit games:

Speed Hawk (speedy part of C64 Knucklebuster)

Thunderhawk (Thrust inspired)

Tiger Attack (Phantoms of the Asteroid)

Side Winder II (Zybex music (I know, not from Rob Hubbard but it is a cover too))

I think some of his other musics are also covers.

Rob Hubbard did also only a few Atari ST conversions:

Thrust

Warhawk

Goldrunner (Human Race music on C64)

Jupiter Probe (was there a C64 original for this?)

Robert

Sad, Hubbard used the wrong platform to release his stuff.

I'd bet he learned all necesssary about computer music on the Atari. But the result didn't really fit to his taste. So he decided to jump over to the SID as soon as possible. Hubbard was the only one who made this minimalistic synth effects on the C64, while others used more straight sounds.

I wonder what he would have done with POKEY music, if he had known the possibility to have a stable timing at the filter voices.....

Sad, Hubbard used the wrong platform to release his stuff.

I'd bet he learned all necesssary about computer music on the Atari. But the result didn't really fit to his taste. So he decided to jump over to the SID as soon as possible. Hubbard was the only one who made this minimalistic synth effects on the C64, while others used more straight sounds.

I wonder what he would have done with POKEY music, if he had known the possibility to have a stable timing at the filter voices.....

LOL the "wrong" platform?

so the most successful and famous musician in computer gaming history chose the most advanced soundchip available in any computer for 10 years and he chose the wrong platform did he? i very much doubt he would agree.

and where do u get your supposition about him learning his trade on an a8? there have been an awful lot of interviews with the man over the years and i'm sorry to burst your bubble but nowhere does he say anything to even suggest that.

you are being delusional or its just wishful thinking.

Steve

Edited by STE'86

Listen to the music, Hubbard did.

Then listen to the music of Galway and others.

You clearly recognize the difference in the usage of SID music.

I'd bet that tunes like International Karate and Jet Set Willy were there on the A8 before.... even before C64 reached the market. The Sid versions got enhanced by the given generators and the easier handling of music stuff.

That's all.

Hubbard is often called "Music God" by C64 freaks. But, really, he only was something like that on the SID. The flat ear hurting sounds, he produced with the Pokey brings all back to the ground.

The music itself was well, but you never could drive the stereo to an enhanced level.

I wonder, how the results would sound with some enhanced POKEY sounds.

Btw:

so the most successful and famous musician in computer gaming history chose the most advanced soundchip available in any computer for 10 years and he chose the wrong platform did he? i very much doubt he would agree.

This is an oxymoron how you wrote this sentence.

When Hubbard went to use SID and the C64 for making music, he wasn't any famous. The KEY moment for his sussess, is one of the KEY moments for the C64. You might remember that he was the "1st" musician releasing a real piece of music on the C64 in Monty. So what happened, if he really was a "Music God" and created such stuff for the A8 ?

;)

What strikes me about Rob is that this mega syth super computer music maker is such a quiet reserved guy who says very little and comes across as if he's either bored or boring when you chat to him. I quite expected a very different person, very much more loud like his music :)

Its strange how you suspect some people are going to be and they are almost the opposite in real life..

LOL ok then we will settle on delusional. i was giving u the benefit of the doubt.

and while we are on the subject of oxymorons...."enhanced pokey sounds" ROFL

btw i would check the history of the IK music if i were u before u make such ludicrous suppositions.

Steve

Edited by STE'86

I'd bet that tunes like International Karate and Jet Set Willy were there on the A8 before.... even before C64 reached the market. The Sid versions got enhanced by the given generators and the easier handling of music stuff.

That's all.

Hubbard is often called "Music God" by C64 freaks. But, really, he only was something like that on the SID. The flat ear hurting sounds, he produced with the Pokey brings all back to the ground.

The music itself was well, but you never could drive the stereo to an enhanced level.

I wonder, how the results would sound with some enhanced POKEY sounds.

Btw:

This is an oxymoron how you wrote this sentence.

When Hubbard went to use SID and the C64 for making music, he wasn't any famous. The KEY moment for his sussess, is one of the KEY moments for the C64. You might remember that he was the "1st" musician releasing a real piece of music on the C64 in Monty. So what happened, if he really was a "Music God" and created such stuff for the A8 ?

;)

If you had ANY facts correct it might be worth having a discussion about this with you, as it is you've got it all wrong from when he wrote tunes, which his first tune was etc etc. Hubbard (unlike pretty much everyone else at the time) was a coder AND a trained musician. That enabled him to get more out of the SID than coders who just copied some classical pieces or whatever and just used simple waveforms with no manipulation, because they couldn't. You just sound like an A8 "freak" wishing someone with some skill had stayed working on their machine instead of going with the better option.

Here's a relevant part of an interview..

SPEX: How and when was your first encounter with computers and especially with their soundchips?

ROB HUBBARD: Back in the early 1980’s. I first saw an Apple 2 and then the old Sinclair (pre spectrum) machine. I bought the C64 for it’s sound chip.

There's really no point guessing when, why and how people did what (this game has a big black bit to save CPU, etc) and posting it hoping it's true. Try asking them, doing some research etc. Might also be an idea to learn the meaning of oxymoron before basing a reply on it..

Pete

Edited by PeteD

What strikes me about Rob is that this mega syth super computer music maker is such a quiet reserved guy who says very little and comes across as if he's either bored or boring when you chat to him. I quite expected a very different person, very much more loud like his music :)

Its strange how you suspect some people are going to be and they are almost the opposite in real life..

Most of them were. All talent, no ego needed. I worked With Ben Daglish for a while and he's a really cool friendly guy with no pretensions.

Pete

Yes, but that doesn't prove anything more than the C64 is a more versatile "instrument" than most 8-bits really; Martin Galway made a name for himself on the BBC Micro before moving to the C64 and, if you listen to the later tunes he composed for the Acorn machine such as Galaforce 2, his style was fully formed before he even picked up a C64 assembler. But Hubbard has said in multiple interviews that he started on the C64, wind three minutes into

and he'll pretty much tell you himself.

That's all.

i'm happy to take that bet in the case of International Karate because, even without the words of the man himself contradicting it totally, the driver behind that tune is more complex than his first C64 ones used on Confuzion. Since Jet Set Willy is an exclusive A8 track, there's no C64 version to compare it to but that doesn't prove your point since there's also an exclusive tune on the Z80 machines that the C64 didn't get.

LOL ok then we will settle on delusional. i was giving u the benefit of the doubt.

btw i would check the history of the IK music if i were u before u make such ludicrous suppositions.

Steve

It's already an oxymoron that you write in this Atari related forums. "enhanced pokey sounds" is not an oxymoron, it's a real thing.

As I stated above, it is an assumption that the tunes were done on the A8 before. It's just as the tunes got built with the instruments. Other got even better results -soundwise- on the SID. Hubbard did those small sounds that were not necessary for the same tune with the SID. If it was what he learned before, he must have learned doing those sounds on "older" hardware -and/or- If he liked what he did in personal, he was influenced by the weak sounding of "older" machines.

The only machine were it fits to, is the sound of the Atari. Apple and Sinclair had all but something like a good soundchip to offer in that time.

Steve

It's already an oxymoron that you write in this Atari related forums. "enhanced pokey sounds" is not an oxymoron, it's a real thing.

As I stated above, it is an assumption that the tunes were done on the A8 before. It's just as the tunes got built with the instruments. Other got even better results -soundwise- on the SID. Hubbard did those small sounds that were not necessary for the same tune with the SID. If it was what he learned before, he must have learned doing those sounds on "older" hardware -and/or- If he liked what he did in personal, he was influenced by the weak sounding of "older" machines.

The only machine were it fits to, is the sound of the Atari. Apple and Sinclair had all but something like a good soundchip to offer in that time.

Watch the video TMR linked to. Once again you troll and start arguments based on nothing but guesses and wishful thinking and you wonder why people like you get banned from their "own" forum. ;) Of course it's nothing but jealousy because YOU chose the wrong machine.

Pete

Great. Thanks for the Videolink. I laughed my arse off , listening to that helpless presentation.

I wonder why he never said " You know my life " ;) by just according to what the C64 freaks want to hear...

Yeah.... he just got the C64 , loading and saving stuff took 45 minutes and every single learning step took a full night till 5am....

And he poked all into Basic, crashing the machine multiple times. After all, he had the music available in "some days"....

At least he seems to be very clever, telling C64 guys all they want to hear.

..... you know .....

Yes, but that doesn't prove anything more than the C64 is a more versatile "instrument" than most 8-bits really; Martin Galway made a name for himself on the BBC Micro before moving to the C64 and, if you listen to the later tunes he composed for the Acorn machine such as Galaforce 2, his style was fully formed before he even picked up a C64 assembler. But Hubbard has said in multiple interviews that he started on the C64, wind three minutes into

and he'll pretty much tell you himself.

Actually, it was Galway that turned my taste to listen to SID tunes, not Hubbard. Some SIDs are really great, but that doesn't mean to need a C64.