IGNORED

Cleaning Intellivision games?

JacobZu7zu7

Recived my new boxed games, however were very dusty and even 1 game seemed to have a

few mouse droppings in the white game holder (could be wrong)... i quickly got rid, and washed my hands.

(luckly it's only one game this occured, and it's a dublicate of a game i have) but i dunno i wanna be

excited ... though items aren't as good shape as i hoped.. BUT, maybe i'm bein picky?

it is 20+ year old stuff. it would be fine if i didnt imagine mice running all over the games.

*Sigh*, but thats how it goes with stuff from attics basment, I can't go back now... might as well deal. So, I think

maybe a rubbing alcohol cleaning can clear up grime, dust, hair, "dropping" etc.. right?

If there's any animal, mite, worm.. living in the game, an alcohol q-tip scrub would make

it 100% clean again, you think?

I didn't clean my first 7 boxed games, cuz they seem ok... just a few cobwebs but

decent enuff but maybe it's a good idea to clean every game now with Q-tip + Alchy?

I did clean bowling because it shut off in mid-game probably mold.. now it works great.

As I have gotten older, I want all my video games to shine clean, and not have dust,

I hate that... when I was kid I didnt care however... lol.

Please anyone reply soon.

Recived my new boxed games, however were very dusty and even 1 game seemed to have a

few mouse droppings in the white game holder (could be wrong)... i quickly got rid, and washed my hands.

(luckly it's only one game this occured, and it's a dublicate of a game i have) but i dunno i wanna be

excited ... though items aren't as good shape as i hoped.. BUT, maybe i'm bein picky?

it is 20+ year old stuff. it would be fine if i didnt imagine mice running all over the games.

*Sigh*, but thats how it goes with stuff from attics basment, I can't go back now... might as well deal. So, I think

maybe a rubbing alcohol cleaning can clear up grime, dust, hair, "dropping" etc.. right?

If there's any animal, mite, worm.. living in the game, an alcohol q-tip scrub would make

it 100% clean again, you think?

I didn't clean my first 7 boxed games, cuz they seem ok... just a few cobwebs but

decent enuff but maybe it's a good idea to clean every game now with Q-tip + Alchy?

I did clean bowling because it shut off in mid-game probably mold.. now it works great.

As I have gotten older, I want all my video games to shine clean, and not have dust,

I hate that... when I was kid I didnt care however... lol.

Please anyone reply soon.

From what i read on different forums (i searched this not long ago) is that rubbing alcohol is just fine, but if they are real dirty and still won't play after you clean them they say you need something that has deoxidizing power like Deoxit, Denatured Alcohol, or electronic contact cleaner. I have bought some Deoxit but haven't needed it for games yet. Rubbing alcohol has done the trick so far.

Yup, 90% is what I use as well. I figure if I remove any visible dirt/mouse droppings/whatever, then wipe it down with 90% alcohol, it's clean.

Okay great! Thx for the fast replies you guys.

I have 70% alcohol, is that fine too? I also have 50%... but no 90% here. Would you all recommend 90%, or is 70 basically the same and good enough? Yes, no lables will get wet. I been lucky, I never ruined 1 label.

I gave all the boxes a soild but light cleaning...(windex/towel) also cleaned the overlays... and looks waaaay better now. They look new!

Now, it's time to fix up those games contacts.

(If I get the approval for u guys, on the bottle of 70% alcohol)

Ransom, this will also kill any germs, and absorb any animal funk that may be left in the games?

Though, most seem just fine to me... but trying to be careful at same time, and not ruin anything.

Peace.

70% is OK, but not ideal, it has more water (and no one likes their alcohol watered down!! :P )

CVS/Walgreens usually has 90% over by the peroxide.

Picked up some 90% and new q-tips. Got to work on the games and most cleaned up good, and things are

going okay, and I hope all will work/play fine. Gotta sleep and check back tomorrow when I can play them. :

90% works better I think, and seems to dry better then 70%. :)

I use a couple different producta. I have a white cleaning paste i bought from the Nintendo repair shop online. I use that on all my cartridge based games for a good initial cleaning followed by a rinse. I then have some liquid i bought off ebay from a seller called "the Nerb" who makes some stuff called Classic game cleaner....and i use that in between scrubbings. Works perfectly.

[quote name=jsmith73' date='Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:00 AM' timestamp='1267074006'

post='1950054]

I looked at my carts, and noticed a

couple had red smudges similar to

your blue smudge. I've never had a

problem with them so I'd say it's

harmless.

I wonder what causes that?

but okay, thanks!

:)

I think it is grease pencil that was left on the board from production...

Just a guess though, I've never taken one of my intellivision carts apart that had that type of mark.

• 11 years later...
On 2/25/2010 at 5:42 AM, Taskmaster99 said:

I use a couple different producta. I have a white cleaning paste i bought from the Nintendo repair shop online. I use that on all my cartridge based games for a good initial cleaning followed by a rinse. I then have some liquid i bought off ebay from a seller called "the Nerb" who makes some stuff called Classic game cleaner....and i use that in between scrubbings. Works perfectly.

10-11 years later…

what are people doing to clean their cartridges and ports and cases these days? Have we learned or advanced beyond denatured alcohol?

22 hours ago, JasonlikesINTV said:

I use different solvents/cleaners for different surfaces.  It's all about solvent/material compatibility.

That is great. Please share any details about products and levels of success that you can. This tends to be a frequently asked question. 

Thanks! 

11 hours ago, First Spear said:

That is great. Please share any details about products and levels of success that you can. This tends to be a frequently asked question. 

Thanks! 

Sorry for the ambiguous answer.  After I typed the initial part, I realized that my reply would take some additional detail.  Then I looked at the clock and realized it was almost 12:30 am, so I went to bed ? I'll try to elaborate in the next few days.  There are already some good answers in here though ?

• Like 1

Not sure if I'll get shut down for this but if I a cartridge really won't work, I'll sand the contacts with 1000 grit sandpaper, scrub with 91% isopropyl, spray with contact cleaner, wait, then scrub with 91% isopropyl again.  So far this has proven successful.

• Like 1