IGNORED

R10 NTSC Funvision Karate + Condor Attack!

Dino

I recently purchased a T Handle Karate and Condor Attack by Funvision, not Ultravision. For those that are not familiar with the PAL versions of these games, they are very rare in PAL format, and have a "Funvision" sticker stuck over the Ultravision label. For years these were thought to have been released as PAL only, and the seller had posted them in the PAL rarity thread, so I thought I was buying PAL copies. They were sold to me as 'untested' as the seller did not have a console to test them on and I thought my 5 years of searching for these PAL T handles had come to an end. The one confusing aspect about the carts was that the seller was not a collector and he told me he bought these at a flea market in the US 15 years ago, so I was a little unsure of how these PAL carts ended up in the States.

I had them sent to a friend of mine in the US (a well-known member here) who tested them and told me they were PAL. He sent them to me along with some other purchases I had made. I tested them on my NTSC Atari portable which is alls I have set up at the moment, and which is good for checking PAL v NTSC games. I was suprised that the games didnt roll on the portable, when I was sure my PAL Ultravision carts did roll.

I did a comparison and confirmed that the PAL coies I had were rolling, but these did not. When I raised it with my friend, he said that when he tested them on his TV the colors seemed off which happens with PAL games on an LCD screen. I did notice that the colors of these games apear to be a little off compared to the colors of the NTSC screenshots in Atarimania, but that could just be the screenshots in Atarimaina compared to a portable. Also, the colors are far more closely aligned with the NTSC versions on Atarimania rather than the PAL version. A dump which will come in the following weeks will confirm the contents of the roms.

So there you have it, 2 Funvision games in NTSC format.

I have posted pics below of the NTSC and PAL games in action. The early photos are NTSC and the last 3 are PAL.

Interestingly, the seller also had a Funvision Space Monster T Handle for sale. I didnt buy it at the time as I aleardy had a PAL copy and had assumed it was PAL. I've let the owner know that if he hasn't sold it, that it may be NTSC also. Hopefully the contents of that cart can be confimed too.

post-7232-12668792345_thumb.jpg

post-7232-126687924968_thumb.jpg

post-7232-126687927219_thumb.jpg

post-7232-126687929355_thumb.jpg

post-7232-126687931349_thumb.jpg

post-7232-126687941712_thumb.jpg

post-7232-126687947479_thumb.jpg

post-7232-126687975112_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Wow, just wow!!

I don't think those have ever been found with the Funvision sticker on them, in NTSC. Wonder will want to beat you to death with a fistfull of cash!

I can't wait to look into that Karate rom either Dino. I want to know if that Bit Corp is still stuck in there, and if it does match the Froggo rom 100%.

Wow, just wow!!

I don't think those have ever been found with the Funvision sticker on them, in NTSC. Wonder will want to beat you to death with a fistfull of cash!

I can't wait to look into that Karate rom either Dino. I want to know if that Bit Corp is still stuck in there, and if it does match the Froggo rom 100%.

I'll get them both dumped in a couple of weekends time and shoot you through the roms.

I wish I had bought that Space Monster too. I'm really curious to know what's on that cart. but iicolsandersii hasn't been on the forums since November :sad:

The irony is I still need those damn Funvision Karate and Condor Attacks in PAL!!

Congratulations!

Very interesting discovery.

Well, it's a fact that Funvision released quite a few NTSC games, but I did not expect these to be NTSC.

Looking forward to the ROMs.

I bet they don't carry the Funvision logo on screen, do they?

Dino, could you make sharp scans of these two, so I can add them to the database?

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

Congratulations!

Very interesting discovery.

Well, it's a fact that Funvision released quite a few NTSC games, but I did not expect these to be NTSC.

Looking forward to the ROMs.

I bet they don't carry the Funvision logo on screen, do they?

Dino, could you make sharp scans of these two, so I can add them to the database?

8)

Rom, this is the first time a funvision labelled NTSC cart has surfaced in the US. correct me if i'm wrong, but up to now the only carts that surfaced were pirate branded by them.

No they dont have the funvision logo on the screen, they are quite consistent with the current NTSC versions.

you already have the condor attack scan, these are iicolsandersii's carts ;) I'll scan the karate for you

Rom, this is the first time a funvision labelled NTSC cart has surfaced in the US. correct me if i'm wrong, but up to now the only carts that surfaced were pirate branded by them.

True.

But these are rebranded Ultravision carts.

That's why the Funvision logo is not on screen.

Would be very interesting to find hidden Funvision or Bit Corp logo data inside, though.

8)

True.

But these are rebranded Ultravision carts.

That's why the Funvision logo is not on screen.

Would be very interesting to find hidden Funvision or Bit Corp logo data inside, though.

8)

That's what I find interesting. Up to now it seemed that Ultravision never wanted to sell carts in the US under the Funvision brand. There's plently of Funvision carts in PAL territories, but up until now there have been no North American NTSC Funvision releases. For me that is very significant.

I also received a PM from my friend who sent the games and it appears that there was a problem with the colors on his S-Video modded Atari, so it looks like the dump is not necessary to confirm whether they are NTSC afterall

Here is the scan as promised. I haven't cropped it as I don't know how to do it without losing resolution. Is there any other way of cropping a scan other than Microsoft Paint? Note that my scanner is basic and doesnt allow you to crop.

post-7232-126741915528_thumb.jpg

Fascinating, a Karate Funvision NTSC variant.......just fascinating.... :lust:

That's what I LOVE about this hobby, just when you think you've seen it all, something new pops up to make things fascinating again! You don't get that with NES that's for sure!