IGNORED

Astrosmash Remake

Ophelius

Arcade version released!

-New retro arcade-style title with rotating demo screens. Feels like the real thing.

-This version is ready to be put into a custom PC-based arcade cabinet. Just re-route the keyboard keys to the joystick, pushbuttons, coin slot etc using a JAMMA board or similar. If you already have a MAME arcade cabinet, let me know so I can send you a custom game with the Keys you specify(because your 'Fire' pushbutton might not be linked to the game's 'Z' button, etc). I guess I'll come out with a config tool to map out the keys how you want.

Let me know if you actually use this game in your arcades ;)

www.astrosmashproject.com

Major Update!

Version 1.0 (Current)

-Released March 24, 2010

This version has been transformed from the ground up. It includes major bug fixes, improvements, face lifts, and changes.

[New] - The game is arcade ready, which means it can easily be ported into an existing PC-based arcade, or put into a dedicated one.

[Changed] - Before there was the PC version and the Arcade version of this game. There's only one version now which can be suited for both worlds.

[Fixed] - Major syncing issues. Before I was relying on the system clock to control timing such as item spawn delays, monitoring events for recoding/playback, etc. This means that if the game ran on machines incapable of achieving 60 FPS, then you would start noticing unwanted timing behavior(too many items would spawn at a time, bad recording playback, etc). To use the system timer to control the game's timing was simply not the right approach to use. The game now uses a Frame-based counter to regulate everything. A game played on a slower machine will now only have the disadvantage of a lower frame rate. Because of this, the game, including demos and recordings, can be played perfectly on any machine.

[Added] - Mouse support!

[Added] - Replay Mode, which can playback a game you've played as if it were a video. Look at the Readme file or the About page to read more about it.

[Added] - A lot more options in the config tool.

[Changed] - The game overall is a bit more challenging.

[Fixed] - a lot of minor bugs, too many to count

www.astrosmashproject.com

Someone found a strange bug where if played in Hardware mode the game doesn't cap at 60, but goes as fast as possible(he was getting 140 FPS). He said it capped at 60 FPS if he ran it in Software mode.

If the game seems too fast for you, you might have this problem too. In the Config tool, check 'Show FPS' too see how fast the game is being ran at. If it's higher than 60, try changing the Rendering option to see if that fixes it. I'll see what I can do to solve it. Let me know if you experience this as well. Thanks

Edit: I added a 'Force 60 FPS' option in the Config tool. This allows you to force the game in 60 frames per seconds if it isn't doing so automatically. The only reason the game wouldn't cap at 60 I found out is if you have your vsync settings turned off in your video card settings. For optimal game play turn on your vsync instead of using this option.

Edited by Ophelius

Minor Update

Version 1.0.2 (Current)

-Released March 26, 2010

[Fixed] - The game now forces 60 FPS no matter what. If your monitor is not refreshing at 60Hz and/or you have your vsync turned off in your video card settings, it will still refresh at 60 FPS, but the game won't run as smooth as possible and you might experience some unwanted graphical side-effects like jerkiness. This is because instead of allowing vsync to sync to a 60Hz refresh rate perfectly, the engine would have to time and adjust a delay to force it to 60FPS which isn't perfect. Most people have it set the right way, but some people don't.

***So for optimal gaming experience, turn on your vsync and run your monitor at 60Hz.

[Added] - the ability to change the letters at the highscore entry by moving the mouse left or right if you're using the mouse.