IGNORED

Free Atari games at Taco Bell...

Nope, the ones on atari.com are Jeff Vavasour's fine work and are in fact emulators in flash - not an easy task.

These are re-writes of the originals and updates of the classics, plus as I mentioned earlier - there is also Breakout which is a game with no cpu/rom and can't be emulated, so thats a nice bonus treat for everyone too.

Curt

Ah man, I bet it's USA only. :( I would even eat at Taco Bell to try those out! :lol:

Are they the same as the Flash-based games on the atari.com web-site?

Nope, the ones on atari.com are Jeff Vavasour's fine work and are in fact emulators in flash - not an easy task.

Interesting...

If folks haven't checked out those atari.com games, they should; they did a pretty good job!

These are re-writes of the originals and updates of the classics, plus as I mentioned earlier - there is also Breakout which is a game with no cpu/rom and can't be emulated, so thats a nice bonus treat for everyone too.

Curt

Yes, I coded everything from scratch in an incredibly hectic (if not almost impossible) time line. But I'm pretty damn happy with the final results. And just so people understand, these are not your usual flash looking games, these were done entirely in bitmaps instead of the usually seen homebrewish vectorized style.

Likewise, they *do not run in a browser*. Adobe Air allowed them to be run as normal desktop apps. And let me tell you, once you have the browser overhead out of the way, flash really cruises. I actually had to slow up a lot of the game content from the browser versions I used for testing. Also, the "evolved" versions are not the same ones in the previous evolved releases, I tried to redo and tweak wherever they allowed me to.

• Like 1

Curt

Ah man, I bet it's USA only. icon_sad.gif I would even eat at Taco Bell to try those out! icon_lol.gif

Are they the same as the Flash-based games on the atari.com web-site?

Ah Jeff Vavasour, the author of the best Tandy coco emulator on the net.

Well I played my game tonight, Lunar Lander. Maybe it's just better memories of the ones on the net, but this game was excruciatingly slow. It takes forever to get the lander down to the ground, and when the view changes to close up, you're much further right than where you should be. Furthermore, in the "modern" version, you have to land much slower than in the classic version if you don't want to blow up.

Don't get me wrong, it's still a blast. Maybe my memories of the original is faded. I just don't remember it being so agonizingly slow. The hardest difficulty really doesn't make the gravity any heavier, just less gas, which only allows you to really land twice at the most.

Not in El Paso, yet :( I'm sure they'll turn up here soon.

When I checked with the Taco Bell in Rosenberg I was told "no".

But when I asked what the kids meal toy was lo and behold the girl showed me the games.

$4.25 and I had all four!!! ;)

I'd like the games but not the food,thanks! lol Maybe the only thing I'd eat off their menu would be the bean burritos,although I try to stay away from fast food entirely these days. Also I'm a vegetarian soo Taco Bell beef is a huge no-no for my diet.

Well I played my game tonight, Lunar Lander. Maybe it's just better memories of the ones on the net, but this game was excruciatingly slow.

That was Atari and Taco Bell's direction, they wanted the descent a bit more manageable for kids. You'll notice 3 skill levels vs. the multiple options in the arcade version. Though it shouldn't be much slower than the arcade rom, I used that as the reference.

Don't get me wrong, it's still a blast. Maybe my memories of the original is faded. I just don't remember it being so agonizingly slow. The hardest difficulty really doesn't make the gravity any heavier, just less gas, which only allows you to really land twice at the most.

Actually, it does make the gravity "heavier". That's also why it effects the gas, costs more to fight the gravity.

Edited by wgungfu