IGNORED

Retro Gamer Are A Joke!

The_Laird

I picked up the new issue of Retro Gamer (73) a few days ago and finally got round to reading it today and was looking forward to seeing their review of Zaku. But they decieded that the first commercial Lynx game in ages only deserved a tiny little space at the bottom of a page and a little screenshot. They only gave it 73% before anyone asks.

Its a disgrace that a magazine that calls its self Retro Gamer devotes more column space to the iPhone, which is not even retro, to all of the Atari machines combined.

I already had my little rant HERE

Feel free to chip in, it seems that RG don't understand how big the Atari community is.

• Like 1

I picked up the new issue of Retro Gamer (73) a few days ago and finally got round to reading it today and was looking forward to seeing their review of Zaku. But they decieded that the first commercial Lynx game in ages only deserved a tiny little space at the bottom of a page and a little screenshot. They only gave it 73% before anyone asks.

Its a disgrace that a magazine that calls its self Retro Gamer devotes more column space to the iPhone, which is not even retro, to all of the Atari machines combined.

I already had my little rant HERE

Feel free to chip in, it seems that RG don't understand how big the Atari community is.

Yeah, you know..

I think you are right, but I never read magazines since there are countless blogs and columns free on the internet.

Save your money and use it to invest in more Atari games.

May the force be with you.

Edited by Mrjey
  • Like 1

Oh do get over yourself. Zaku got the score it deserved. It's a fun little shooter, but massively flawed in quite a few areas and we're not going to ignore that just because it's a new commercial game on a dead system.

To suggest that we're a joke because a game on the Lynx didn't get the score you feel it deserved is rather childish to be honest. I love the Lynx and have posted on these very forums and taking part in high scores competitions when I've had the time, so please don't insult myself or the mag because you haven't got your own way.

• Like 10

I do believe that Laird has a point on the column time devoted to newer systems for a retro magazine.

Software reviews and app launches are a dime a dozen for the iPhone and latest game systems. For a magazine with the name "Retro Gamer," I feel the expectation is set for about 90% retro content, followed by a few blurbs on what is happening with new systems (VC on the Wii for example).

Just a thought....not a personal criticism in any way to the people behind the magazine.

• Like 4

Zaku has been reviewed elsewhere.

Scored 4/5 from :-

http://www.the-nextlevel.com/review/retro/zaku-atari-lynx/

http://www.hardcoregamer.com/index.php?option=com_magazine&id_rubrique=1&type=article&id_article=495

So the retro gamer score isn't exactly out of line when two other reviewers awarded it 80%.

• Like 3

I don't have it yet so I haven't seen the article. I take it Zaku was given very little space (compaired to newer iPhone stuff/etc..) If so that is a shame but who knows the reasoning, maybe we can find out?....Retro Gamer, how come Zaku has such a small write up? Thanks :)

It was simply a lack of space i'm afriad. What The Laird has failed to mention is that we gave it a page article in the news the previous month. Typcially we wouldn't even cover a game like Zaku in the non homebrew section of the magazine, but because we'd recently put Rush, Rush, Rally Racing (a new DC game) in the commercial reviews section we gave Zaku the same privalidge.

• Like 3

I do believe that Laird has a point on the column time devoted to newer systems for a retro magazine.

Software reviews and app launches are a dime a dozen for the iPhone and latest game systems. For a magazine with the name "Retro Gamer," I feel the expectation is set for about 90% retro content, followed by a few blurbs on what is happening with new systems (VC on the Wii for example).

Just a thought....not a personal criticism in any way to the people behind the magazine.

Retro Gamer is 114 pages, 5 pages of which is to review retro/retro styled games on newer systems). Hardly a massive amount of non retro gaming content.

• Like 2

Zaku has been reviewed elsewhere.

http://www.the-nextlevel.com/review/retro/zaku-atari-lynx/

http://www.hardcoregamer.com/index.php?option=com_magazine&id_rubrique=1&type=article&id_article=495

So the retro gamer score isn't exactly out of line when two other reviewers awarded it 80%.

I am not sure why people seem to think games that score around 70% are turds. I mean, you can't give every game a 90%-100% or the entire ratings system would be bullshit (kind of like nintendo power when they rate there own games)

I don't have it yet so I haven't seen the article. I take it Zaku was given very little space (compaired to newer iPhone stuff/etc..) If so that is a shame but who knows the reasoning, maybe we can find out?....Retro Gamer, how come Zaku has such a small write up? Thanks :)

It was simply a lack of space i'm afriad. What The Laird has failed to mention is that we gave it a page article in the news the previous month. Typcially we wouldn't even cover a game like Zaku in the non homebrew section of the magazine, but because we'd recently put Rush, Rush, Rally Racing (a new DC game) in the commercial reviews section we gave Zaku the same privalidge.

Yes, I do remember the full page article now, very nice. I think your answer makes perfect sense and as a long time Retro Gamer magazine purchaser (ever since issue 1) I see no reason why this topic would stop me from buying your mag in the future. Keep doing what your doing, you guys are awesome ;) :)

• Like 1

To my mind, 5 out of 10 is right in the middle of the scale, and represents an average or mediocre game.

To me, 7.3 is well above average, and represents good but not great - which is a fair assessment of Zaku. It is a great game for a couple of guys working on the kitchen table, but does anyone really think it should be ranked as high as KLAX or Shanghai?

Edited by ls650

I've never played Zaku, so I don'y know about that part. But to me it seems ridiculous for a magazine to dedicate more space to IP/Wii/360/PS3 than it does to the actual retro systems.

• Like 2

I've never played Zaku, so I don'y know about that part. But to me it seems ridiculous for a magazine to dedicate more space to IP/Wii/360/PS3 than it does to the actual retro systems.

Hmmmm...you must have missed his previous posting.

Retro Gamer is 114 pages, 5 pages of which is to review retro/retro styled games on newer systems). Hardly a massive amount of non retro gaming content.

So what part of that sounds ridiculous to you? :?

• Like 1

This is exactly my point. Darran seems to be trying to make me out to be some bitter fanboy but thats far from the truth. I have no problem with the score you gave Zaku, thats you opinion. My problem is with the lack of coverage you gave it, especialy when so much was dedicated to new machines.

Lets have a little look at the facts, I have issue 73 right here:

Pages 6 & 7 - coverage of emulators for the iPhone (ok emulators allow play of retro games but playing most roms is also illegal)

Page 9 - Afterburner Climax for Xbox 360

Page 11 - Microsoft Arcade article

Page 90 - Full page review of a PC Game

Page 91 - Near full page review of iPhone game

Page 92 - 2 iPhone review

Page 93 - Near full page again to the iPhone mostly devoted to a poor game

Page 94 - Full page review of a new XBox 360 game

Page 99 - Full page interview with some guy who makes PC games

So that 10 pages devoted to Non-Retro (double the 5 pages you quoted) that 10 percent of the magazine. Take out the adverts too and that 80% of the magazine devoted to Retro Gaming (taking away the introduction and index its 100 pages)

Also great point Fadest for bringing up Lynxopoly, my bad. I bought that game myself so supported the author and I should have mentioned it too.

In the ENTIRE magazine there is only 2 and bit pages devoted to anything Atari (which makes up a massive part of the retro scene) and of the 2 pages are about an arcade game. That leaves less than half a page devoted to all of the Atari machines combined, I know your bias to the Amiga over the Atari ST has been mentioned many times (Amiga versions of games are always shown and rarely the ST one). There is so much going on in the Atari world every month that there is so much coverage you make if you wanted too but seems you would rather devote column space to the stuff you want to see not the readers.

Where was your coverage of the Skunkboard? Your review of Madbodies? Your review of Lynxopoly? Review of Do The Same? Lynx flashcard? Pacman Collection for the 7800? Bonq for the 7800? I could go on but there's no point.

Edited by The_Laird
  • Like 1

Atari taking up a massive amount of the retro scene? That sounds more like opinion than fact. Besides, hasn't the Atari nostalgia train been milked 100 times over already? Laird, it sounds like you want just an Atari-centric magazine almost, from you name dropping several Jag & Lynx things. Maybe that's why you are being called "fanboy" here.

To those born after a certain year, Atari's going to be foreign to them. In fact, I doubt the Skunkboard would be of much interest to readers, period. Also note the magazine is from the UK, where Atari didn't seem to have that much impact(at least from what I've seen). A Japanese-born retro gaming mag would probably have no Atari coverage at all, and focus more on PC-88, and other consoles/computers we never heard of.

I don't mind, and in fact, read coverage of games for newer consoles if they are arcade/console compilations for them.

I will always buy & read Retro Gamer.

• Like 3

I agree with the Laird.

I just think its funny that ppl think that we are ALL Atari fanboys here on AA.icon_mrgreen.gif

I love Atari,but I also have like 30-40 other systems too.

I like to call myself a Videogaming Fanboy.icon_razz.gif

And that dead systems arent worth time spent on them in mags.

I personally dont really need any more 360/PS3 ...ect reviews for stuff in mags the net has all that,plus I can watch a youtube vid of the game.

If I buy a mag anymore its going to be for good old retro stuff like homebrews/dev stuff/interviews with old schoolers/Some neat trivia/retro system mods and accessories all the cool stuff.

I also really dont need reviews of classic games on a compolation disk for newer systems like 360/PS3..iphone maybe if I owned one.icon_wink.gif

But that just my opinion.

• Like 1

Also note the magazine is from the UK, where Atari didn't seem to have that much impact(at least from what I've seen). A Japanese-born retro gaming mag would probably have no Atari coverage at all, and focus more on PC-88, and other consoles/computers we never heard of.

Seems you know very little about the UK market then!!!!

The UK was an Atari stronghold. Everything except the A8 sold very well over here.

The Lynx sold pretty much better than anywhere and the machine and its games were still being sold in major stores when the Jaguar was released.

The 2600 sold well everywhere while the 7800 had a decent showing here mostly sold through catalogues and the famous catalogue shop Argos. I can also remember still being able to buy 2600 & 7800 games/consoles in the early 90's in both Toys R Us and Software Plus.

The Jaguar sold out within a few days on all of its first shipments. If Atari had had the stock who knows how well it actually would have sold over here, it was also well recieved by the press intially too.

The ST outsold the Amiga for most of its lifetime was Atari's most successful machine over here and incredibly well supported.

So you don't think a UK magazine should devote much space to the Atari machines? :ponder:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

This is exactly my point. Darran seems to be trying to make me out to be some bitter fanboy but thats far from the truth. I have no problem with the score you gave Zaku, thats you opinion. My problem is with the lack of coverage you gave it, especialy when so much was dedicated to new machines.

Lets have a little look at the facts, I have issue 73 right here:

Pages 6 & 7 - coverage of emulators for the iPhone (ok emulators allow play of retro games but playing most roms is also illegal)

Page 9 - Afterburner Climax for Xbox 360

Page 11 - Microsoft Arcade article

Page 90 - Full page review of a PC Game

Page 91 - Near full page review of iPhone game

Page 92 - 2 iPhone review

Page 93 - Near full page again to the iPhone mostly devoted to a poor game

Page 94 - Full page review of a new XBox 360 game

Page 99 - Full page interview with some guy who makes PC games

So that 10 pages devoted to Non-Retro (double the 5 pages you quoted) that 10 percent of the magazine. Take out the adverts too and that 80% of the magazine devoted to Retro Gaming (taking away the introduction and index its 100 pages)

Also great point Fadest for bringing up Lynxopoly, my bad. I bought that game myself so supported the author and I should have mentioned it too.

In the ENTIRE magazine there is only 2 and bit pages devoted to anything Atari (which makes up a massive part of the retro scene) and of the 2 pages are about an arcade game. That leaves less than half a page devoted to all of the Atari machines combined, I know your bias to the Amiga over the Atari ST has been mentioned many times (Amiga versions of games are always shown and rarely the ST one). There is so much going on in the Atari world every month that there is so much coverage you make if you wanted too but seems you would rather devote column space to the stuff you want to see not the readers.

Where was your coverage of the Skunkboard? Your review of Madbodies? Your review of Lynxopoly? Review of Do The Same? Lynx flashcard? Pacman Collection for the 7800? Bonq for the 7800? I could go on but there's no point.

Okay, so 10 pages devoted to classic games released on new systems of a 100 page magazine is still 90% classic systems, right? I don't get your point? Oh, and by the way...IT IS STILL CLASSIC GAMES BEING RELEASED ON NEW SYSTEMS. It's not like we are getting 5 page Halo reviews. It is relivant classic gaming on new systems. Are you mad that they didn't review the games you like so you feel the need to try and tear down there entire magazine? Besides, I really like the coverage these magazines do on the new "classic" stuff that is being released for current systems. You are lucky to even see a release date mentioned in other (current gen) magazines for something like the Data East collection or SNK arcade classics, and when they do review them it is some 19 year old punk that never even saw a real arcade and they just dis it and say it's dated and sucks because to them Halo and Madden are the only thing in the world worth playing. I like hearing a true Retro Gamers point of view on classic stuff being released on current systems and I hope they continue it. Magazines like Retro Gamer are usually already struggling enough just to get by, I seem to remember production already stopping once and then we are lucky enough to get them back and people like you freak out that Madbodies was not reviewed, well, do me a favor and quit being a little baby :roll:

• Like 4

Still missing the point I see. I don't even own Madbodies or Zaku for the record BTW!

My rant is about new games for old machines not being supported in the magazine while games for new systems are (alot of which are far from retro). Pretty simple really.

• Like 1

Hmmmm...you must have missed his previous posting.

So what part of that sounds ridiculous to you? :?

The part where there's a lack of retro stuff. :| A re-release of a retro game on a new system is not the same as the original game. A magazine shouldn't call itself Retro Gamer if it only devotes half-a-page to actual retro games.

• Like 1

Fist of all I think Retro Gamer is a excellent magazine. Although im not a subscriber and I have bought only a few issues.

Retro Gamer did a nice 8-page Lynx special once (can't remember what issue) including a interview with Carl Forhan. But in general I wish the Lynx would get a little more attention in Retro Gamer. When a game like Zaku is released I think it deserves more then a tiny column, no matter the review score. I think you have to put it in a perspective. In the Atari Lynx community the release of Zaku is HUGE. The biggest thing that has happened in years. It's a game that was in development since 2003, eagerly awaited by many.

Darran, you say "Zaku arrived far too late in the day to give it more coverage." Maybe you could have played the game more and saved the review for the next issue? Also, you say Zaku is "easily the best shoot-em-up available on the Lynx". So that means you would give Gates of Zendocon and Zarlor Mercenary what score? 60% ? 50% ?

• Like 1