IGNORED

HOT! ATARI JAGUAR INJECTION MOLD TOOLING on eBay NOW! call Curt!

Defender II

The text in this auction is kind of misleading. "Tooling package for all parts and components to build the Jaguar game system" implies that it contains everything you could need to produce Atari Jaguars, when obviously it's only for the plastic case. And of course you'd need whatever manufacturing equipment is necessary to use the mold.

For some reason I never contemplated the possibility of Imagin ever selling these. I hope they end up in good hands because these are a big deal. Imagine if someone like SS4U landed these instead of someone like Buddies? That is one of the saddest thoughts I have ever had. :sad:

I'm with the monkey... would anyone seriously like to pool resources to save these? If like 50 of us could put in $150-200 each. We might be able to get these.

Is there really a point to owning them though other than pure historical interest? I mean, couldn't you just reverse engineer them anyway by taking a Jaguar case and just having a new mold made from it with presumably less expensive mold components? It's not like the Jaguar case is super complicated in its design. Also, wouldn't there have been more than one set of these given how many cases had to be made?

I'm with the monkey... would anyone seriously like to pool resources to save these? If like 50 of us could put in $150-200 each. We might be able to get these.

Is there really a point to owning them though other than pure historical interest? I mean, couldn't you just reverse engineer them anyway by taking a Jaguar case and just having a new mold made from it with presumably less expensive mold components? It's not like the Jaguar case is super complicated in its design. Also, wouldn't there have been more than one set of these given how many cases had to be made?

yes but your getting these for pennies on the dollar. theres alot of money in material alone there if you melted it down. Like it said in the auction, these cost atari 250,000 to make.

The text in this auction is kind of misleading. "Tooling package for all parts and components to build the Jaguar game system" implies that it contains everything you could need to produce Atari Jaguars, when obviously it's only for the plastic case. And of course you'd need whatever manufacturing equipment is necessary to use the mold.

Of course it's only for making the case, you didn't think the PCB and chips are made in there too did ya'? Those are the original case molds, "Injection Mold Tooling", it says in the title. IBM & JVC made the boards/chips.

However, you may be right about other manufacturing equipment that will be needed to use them. There would be costs to that, but I am sure that stuff is standard and readily available through hiring a company to do a run with these molds. The main and big thing is have a mold to make something.

Having the original case molds would be the best, most precise, option to making custom case colors for fans, don't you think? I'm sure you could make a casting from an existing case, that's just more work and money, and that's quite expensive to do nicely and correctly I have heard from people in the industry, who were going to do custom Jagcart shells/colors.

I don't know how fast this mold set can churn out complete shells but I was under the impression from the old "white Jaguar cases" threads that this was the one and only set used to make all the Jaguar cases ever produced.

OK here was my question and the owners' answer:

Dear soptopevoppy,

Hello, I understand from pictures of some white Jaguar cases that the; son of Imagin systems' owner, posted on Atariage.com, that the white cases that were made for the dental camera had a side or back panel of the Jaguar case cut out to accomodate the camera. He was trying to help Atari Jaguar fans get different colored cases of their choice, but for some unfortunate reason did not follow through in getting us the custom Jaguar cases. We have now seen your auction and there are a number of serious Jaguar fans that are considering pooling their funds to purchase and save these molds, my question is: Can original, non-camera modified, fully intact, no panels missing Jaguar cases still be molded from these casts?

noel52-57

Answer:

Dear noel52-57,

I would love to see you guys keep these molds, I could scrap these and get big dollars just for the P7 steel, but I've got feelings for this thing in a big way. The top mold is untouched, where as the bottom had the rear panel removed, but I may have a second bottom mold, I'll double check.

Steve Mortensen

650-596-1001 x26

- soptopevoppy

Edited by ovalbugmann

I hope that you do buy them!!! :) If not they will likely be melted down. :(

Hey NBC, if you would like to read more about what the son; Mark Mortenson(known here on AA as "4tez") of Imagin Systems owner Steve Mortenson, was going to do with making clear Jaguar cases for us please read these topics:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/106352-white-jaguar-cases/

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/115539-jaguar-color-cases/

Edited by ovalbugmann

Here is the deal. I own a factory. So I got the money. I just aked my but my wife said no. We are not rich but better off than most. When I saw them I had no ideal what the was at first.

So I can not buy them. But if my wife changes her mind then I will. We always discuss the cash we spend. She will call me today somtime. If she says no again the deal is off. I just bought a 15 thousand dollar machine for my factory.

Plus I would have reserch things out befor I make any thing. I never realy thought that far. Except once in my head.

I just thought as a collecter stand point how often do you buy or have somthing like that. It would be like buying the playstation one molds.

I just love weird things.

Edited by NBC

Ok then, it was a nice thought to save the Jaguar molds from melting, too bad you could not save them. At this point I highly doubt anyone outside of the Jaguar Community would possibly want these molds.

If I had the money I would buy them and use them in my bedroom as bedstand endtables or in the living room as endstand tables!- can you imagine the conversation piece these would be!?!(as well as making a bunch of custom Jag shells with them) - I think the steel blocks with a thick-ass round glass tops being used as a set of four endtables would look "UltraModern" especially in a nice house. :P Or use two of the big ones with a large oval piece of really really thick glass as a coffee table in front of the couch. :P

Edited by ovalbugmann

While I love the idea of having a clear or different coloured case for one of my Jaguars, :thumbsup: I wonder about the practicality. If the guy wants minimum of $8000 and it costs another $2000 to get the molds working, materials, etc. that's a substantial investment. Even if you charged say only $50 a shell, you'd have to sell 200 of them to break even.

I'm not trying rain on anyone's parade here, but there would be a lot of hard work and expense involved with producing new shells, and for no guarantee of getting your money back.

I'm sorry but this is so stupid... I love the Jaguar A LOT, but spending this kind of money for these hunks of metal is ridiculous... You could get Jaguar cases fabricated somewhere for WAY cheaper than 8k. I mean, these things are nothing to look at really, there's no Jaguar logos or anything right? You are just looking at hunks of steel that made Jag cases, big whoop!

PS - If you want different color Jag cases.. UM.. PAINT EXISTING CASES! :lol: Really not that difficult...

I realize its a lot of money worth of metal, but actually, speaking of that, how much EXACTLY are these things worth in scrap?

I'm sorry but this is so stupid... I love the Jaguar A LOT, but spending this kind of money for these hunks of metal is ridiculous... You could get Jaguar cases fabricated somewhere for WAY cheaper than 8k. I mean, these things are nothing to look at really, there's no Jaguar logos or anything right? You are just looking at hunks of steel that made Jag cases, big whoop!

PS - If you want different color Jag cases.. UM.. PAINT EXISTING CASES! :lol: Really not that difficult...

I realize its a lot of money worth of metal, but actually, speaking of that, how much EXACTLY are these things worth in scrap?

High grade steel goes for $285 a ton as scrap. I couldn't find any information about P7, but unless it is mostly gold, silver or another precious metal, I doubt that it is worth 25 times as much. I also doubt Atari spent $250K on those molds originally unless they are including the time of the industrial designers who created the prototype cases, etc...

Unless you get someone who knows what they're doing, painting usually looks like it's, well, just painted. Yuck.

Besides, most people were looking for clear or translucent shells. I think a grey smoked shell would be awesome looking...