IGNORED

Whatever happened to Chris Houlihan

Those of you who've played Zelda Link to the Past know about the Chris Houlihan room. He was the grand prize winner in a Nintendo Power contest and as a result, forever received video game immortality.

That being said, whatever happened to Mr. Houlihan himself? He (the person) is not mentioned in Wikipedia. Does he have a MySpace/Facebook page or something? I'm just curious as to what became of him.

I remember reading about this once before, but I've never found this room myself.

I just looked up how to get there, and wow, it's ridiculous. There's no sense to it, and no reason anybody would ever find it except by dumb luck. Maybe 3 people found it before the internet. And it's so nonsensical that those people probably wouldn't be able to figure out how to reproduce it again.

It seems lame to me that they had this contest, promising such a cool prize, only to hide the winner so deep into the game that almost nobody would ever see it. I wonder even if Houlihan himself knew he was in the game, or where. And they don't even have a character standing there - it's just a talking wall plaque that says his name.

I don't know what the contest terms were, so maybe this is what they advertised. But even if it said it would be a "secret room" - there are secrets and then there are SECRETS. This secret is so obscure it looks like he got cheated.

I remember reading about this once before, but I've never found this room myself.

I just looked up how to get there, and wow, it's ridiculous. There's no sense to it, and no reason anybody would ever find it except by dumb luck. Maybe 3 people found it before the internet. And it's so nonsensical that those people probably wouldn't be able to figure out how to reproduce it again.

It seems lame to me that they had this contest, promising such a cool prize, only to hide the winner so deep into the game that almost nobody would ever see it. I wonder even if Houlihan himself knew he was in the game, or where. And they don't even have a character standing there - it's just a talking wall plaque that says his name.

I don't know what the contest terms were, so maybe this is what they advertised. But even if it said it would be a "secret room" - there are secrets and then there are SECRETS. This secret is so obscure it looks like he got cheated.

Count me as one of those who found it by dumb luck lol! I was playing the game for so long and when that happened I could not believe it! I was unaware of the contest or any reason I found what I did, that sucked because I had no means to record it or prove it and of course I tried to repeat what happened and never could.................

• 3 weeks later...

Too young. From what I've read, the Nintendo Power contest was held in 1990, and the person you linked to was twenty years old in 2008. So, unless he somehow entered and won the contest when he was one or two years old, it's probably not the same guy.

• 11 years later...
On 3/10/2010 at 6:32 PM, tz101 said:

Here's a youtube clip of how to find the Chris Houlihan room:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXp124VgFrw

I stumbled upon it a different way bitd, but wrote down everything I did leading to it to try to recreate it... but was never successful.

I also jumped down a (different) hole to find it.

The stardom went to his head, sending him down a spiral of goofballs and hooch, waking up on stained bare mattresses in back alleys with no memory of how he got there. One day after a pill-induced religious vision, he finally had enough, and joined the French Foreign Legion under an assumed name, which is clearly why we don't know exactly what happened to him after that.

Maybe his helicopter crashed over the rainforests of Afghanistan,

or maybe he's now a proud French citizen named Jacques Fauxnom.

We may never know.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Haha 2