"Untrusted server certificate"

7 replies to this topic

#1 shadow460 OFFLINE  

shadow460

Gunslinger

• 16,540 posts
  • *bink* Good Shot

Posted Tue Mar 9, 2010 8:19 PM

For some reason I get an "untrusted server certificate" error when I try to log in to the forums on my cell phone. I think it's something to do with the wireless service, but I wanted to know first if it might be something to do with the actual forums or Atari Age site instead. Maybe the site doesn't trust my cell phone?

I have to know. Since it's illegal to talk on the phone and drive and it's illegal to text and drive, I have to have something to distract me while I'm flying down the road at 110 MPH. :ponder:

#2 Rybags ONLINE  

Rybags

Quadrunner

• 12,696 posts

Posted Tue Mar 9, 2010 8:33 PM

Normally you should get an option to accept the Certificate, or at least permit it for the duration of the session (on a PC-based browser).

Maybe your phone or the application has some settings that'll let you downgrade the security settings a bit.

#3 Albert OFFLINE  

Albert

Greetings, Avatar!

• 30,184 posts

Posted Tue Mar 9, 2010 8:39 PM

I renewed the site's SSL certificate two weeks or so ago, and the current certificate expires in 2012. The login page for the forum does use SSL, but you should not be seeing an "Untrusted Server Certificate" message. I can log in on my iPhone without any problems. Not sure what would be causing this. What kind of phone are you using?

..Al

#4 shadow460 OFFLINE  

shadow460

Gunslinger

• Topic Starter
  • 16,540 posts
  • *bink* Good Shot

Posted Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:09 PM

I'm using a Samsung R430.

#5 Wntermute OFFLINE  

Wntermute

Moonsweeper

• 471 posts

Posted Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:47 PM

Different platforms have variations on what they trust as a Certificate Authority and how they parse the certificate. I know one of my browsers (I forget which) had problems parsing a certificate with a wildcard in the hostname (ex: *.domain.com) and whined like crazy until I told it to trust it.

When things like this happen to known good sites, I just double-check the cert info then whitelist it.

#6 shadow460 OFFLINE  

shadow460

Gunslinger

• Topic Starter
  • 16,540 posts
  • *bink* Good Shot

Posted Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:48 PM

I haven't found a way to whitelist anything or change what my phone's browser trusts and what it doesn't, though. It seems to have a mind of its own sometimes, and it affects all the features, not just the internet.

#7 Albert OFFLINE  

Albert

Greetings, Avatar!

• 30,184 posts

Posted Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:50 PM

Are you only seeing this issue with AtariAge? The only portions of the site that use SSL are the store and the forum login page. Everything else is just straight http, so you absolutely should not be seeing any server certificate issues then, unless your phone is trying to use SSL for all pages (which you can do). And even then, the server cert is valid.

..Al

#8 shadow460 OFFLINE  

shadow460

Gunslinger

• Topic Starter
  • 16,540 posts
  • *bink* Good Shot

Posted Sat Apr 3, 2010 11:31 AM

It happens as soon as I hit "sign in".

If I could figure out how to whitelist the forums I think that would solve the issue. It's not a huge deal since, though. I don't think there's been any time I've really needed to access the forums when I'm either not at a computer or away from a wireless point.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users