IGNORED

Beryl Reichardt & The Helm Of Wooldridge

The Codex

Here's a 30-line RPG set in Owen's "Beryl Reichardt" game universe. Not intended to curry favor, mind, just I've been discussing that project with him and when it came time to give justification to this little dungeon crawl, I though it would be fun to do a "prequel" in his game world. Hope it doesn't offend you mate that I did this, and I'll gladly change it if so.

Anyway, here's the game. Guide the young Beryl through a six-level random dungeon. Fight eight types of enemies, collect weapons, armor, and potions, and recover the lost artifact of your noble family.

post-25494-126827905572_thumb.png

DUNGEON.zip

The file includes the DSK1 version (DUNGEON), the slightly commented source (DUNGEON.XB), the instructions, and an image key to the game objects. There's a tiny bit of room left in the game for changes and corrections, but overall I think (I hope, I pray) it's playable now.

Hope you like!

Okay, first off this is totally amazing. All of this in 30 lines plus. The story and items sets the atmosphere. Obviously it needs CPU Overdrive. Fantastic arcade action. Don't think there's any enemy AI, so I got to level 4 in no time.

With hitpoints at 20 I ran into a Darkhound. That hurt. Hitpoints was at 6. Got to level 6 easily. I didn't even care to collect too much. Just walk to the exit and finally go to the Helm. Didn't get into any fights. XB terminated with the end message inbetween all the garbage (undefined characters).

Other than that, it's a most wonderful game. I recommend tuning a few things (I know how many man hours can go down that pit). Or maybe I was just too lucky !? I have to have another go now, and the aim is to have all the collectables. Here I come !

Again, totally amazing !!!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: (out of three)

Edited by sometimes99er

Okay, tried to move as fast as I could and collect everything. Having to kill 1 creature on level 1, 3 on 2, 4 on 3, 3 on 4 and running from a Darkhound (my hitpoints were getting way low), on the 5th I had to stay and fight a Darkhound to get to a sword, draining my 20 hitpoints and quickly failing the quest all together. Hehe, nice ! 9 minutes of play/fun !

There is probably about as much you can do in 30 lines, so maybe it's all fine. Sometimes a level starts with the exit only a few feet away. And I've got a feeling that the levels are not static/the same !?

:)

Edited by sometimes99er

Thanks for the comments! Yes, the levels are randomly generated, and there is virtually no enemy AI (apart from detecting you are adjacent and then attacking). In many ways the game is more like an advanced version of Fly Guy than a true RPG, but what are you going to do with 30 lines? :)

There are elements I worked up but had to leave out in the end. I had simple code for doors, which could only be opened by the player, that would have given the game more tactics, but the placement code for them ate up too many lines. Similarly, the idea for leveling up had to be dropped, though there is still XP code and values in there.

As you point out, the game basically relies on you to do the dungeoning. You can rather easily complete it by avoiding most critters and heading for the doors, though you run the risk of sustaining a two-hit kill from a Doppelisk on the last level if you do so. Never the less, it would greatly benefit from some true AI. If there is enough response on this game, I'll probably take it beyond the competition and flesh it out properly. There's so much I'd still like to add, including a decent font and sound effects.

Thanks again for all the playthrough notes, and I'm glad you like the game!

Edited by The Codex

Codex--- my heart is warmed. :) How kind of you to think of me--- :). What a cool game too!!! you put me in the dungeon my friend. :). And how the hell did you design the randomizer to create the levels!??? That is VERY cool.... :cool:

Edited by Opry99er

Any chance to see this one expanded upon?? :). After the contest, perhaps I could use some of your ideas to further along the big RPG in my universe?! :). Also, expect to see this one featured on Opry99er.com--- I'd like to publish all these games to Opry99er.com if the folks here would allow me to feature and showcase their games. :)

Yes, I'd definitely like to take this one beyond 30 lines. There are a lot of ideas I just didn't have room to implement - leveling up, sound effects, doors, combat animations, and spell scrolls. I'd like to vary the monsters by more than just toughness as well, plus give them some AI. So yeah, there's a lot I'd like to do with this. :) But feel free to share this version as well if you like.

It would be great to have a web page enshrining all the games from this competition, plus the aforementioned diskette release for the Chicago Faire. When is the next Faire, by the way? I'm close enough that I could attend with a bit of notice.

Well I'm certainly excited to see how many entries we have... So far there have been some great ones!!! Inaccurate invaders is pretty mind blowing--- so are Marc Hull's games. Codex, you are a monster with these games too man.... I wish I had the time to really work on a bunch of 30 liners too.... The 1 I have is pretty cool, but nowhere near the "coolness" factor of some of you all's games. I'll put it out there though.... Essentially---you're Captain Nemo and your sub is gone... You're being attacked by giant squid and you're trying to recover oxygen tanks that fell out of your sub so you can stay alive. :). I'll try to post a screenshot later on a separate thread. But I love this RPG flare you and Adamantyr added to this contest!!! I think Bergman is doing one too. I'll have to holler at him and see. :)

Just sent this game to a friend of mine who knew about this "game universe" even before the ToD Beryl game and he loved it. Told me I was dragging my feet pretty bad on my RPG work. :). I laughed and said he was right. His suggestion was to expand it into a full prequel and be able to save your character's stats to be imported into the "Legend of Beryl Reichardt" RPG when it gets done. :) I told him I liked that idea and that I would pass it on. :)

Sounds like a plan. Of course, I'll need to know the stats from your game design, and whatever monsters, weapons and items you want implemented that will stay consistant with the game world. But I know you're working on all that right now, so we can thrash it out when you've got that done. :thumbsup:

So--- the more I play this game, the more I realize just how unique it is!! Of course my perspective is a little biased as it's my universe.... It won't be taken into consideration during the judging process though. :) and I won't be the only judge either... But I'll have my own final say as well... If you'd be willing, perhaps you could rework your game as I work on mine and we could learn and build them in conjunction.... Interesting thought--- it'll keep us motivated anyway. :)

Can do, man. I can flesh out my game setting more and expand the code to implement all the ideas I couldn't squeeze into 30 lines. I can take more monsters from your game world as well when you've got that plotted. Only a couple of mine are "original" in any sense, the Darkhound and the Doppelisk. And the Doppelisk is inspired by the Doppels in your own game - I just took that premise and worked backwards into making a creature that suited it. If you want to keep either or both of those critters in your game universe, I can detail them out as well.