Photo

SSGC Submission - Inaccurate Invaders (now with less inaccuracy)

18 replies to this topic

#1 unhuman OFFLINE  

unhuman

Stargunner

• 1,142 posts

Posted Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:50 PM

Inaccurate Invaders
29 Lines / 7 DATA

Attached File  InaccurateInvaders.JPG   4.31KB   54 downloads

Attached File  InaccurateInvaders.zip   1.86KB   36 downloads

Updated 4/13/2010 : Now less inaccurate. Improved collision detection :)

Edited by unhuman, Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:17 PM.

#2 sometimes99er OFFLINE  

sometimes99er

River Patroller

• 3,922 posts

Posted Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:11 AM

No no no no !!!

Fooking Space Invaders !? Freaking animation, colourful, great graphics, full screen movement and totally accurate !?!?? Totally fooking playable !!!?!

Itís totally beyond me ! After one amazing go/play, I had to go and look for machine code in the source ... And thereís none !?

I would never ever have thought this possible with XB Ė and if so, it would be a demo, not something playable. This is the one to beat. This will be the winner. This is mission impossible.

:lust:

#3 unhuman OFFLINE  

unhuman

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,142 posts

Posted Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:07 AM

Holy crap. I never expected a response like that. You almost made me cry. Thank you. Last time I programmed a game for the TI was probably 1989-ish. The time per line was quite high for me.

I still like Cyber-Run.

-Howie (not be be confused with Howard/Codex - altho he's a jeeeeniooous)

No no no no !!!

Fooking Space Invaders !? Freaking animation, colourful, great graphics, full screen movement and totally accurate !?!?? Totally fooking playable !!!?!

It's totally beyond me ! After one amazing go/play, I had to go and look for machine code in the source ... And there's none !?

I would never ever have thought this possible with XB Ė and if so, it would be a demo, not something playable. This is the one to beat. This will be the winner. This is mission impossible.

:lust:

#4 The Codex OFFLINE  

The Codex

Dragonstomper

• 573 posts

Posted Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:03 AM

That looks seriously excellent. Can't wait to try it out at home tonight. Kudos on what looks like an amazing entry! :thumbsup:

#5 sometimes99er OFFLINE  

sometimes99er

River Patroller

• 3,922 posts

Posted Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:16 AM

Sorry about my language and all. Iím still in shock ...

Iíve been having these plans about redoing TI Invaders for Flash and Java (thatís two separate projects) and maybe even emulate the 9918 in the process (for future projects). For that reason I had already taken a good look at how TI Invaders pulls off the hordes. And then you come along and do it in XB. Shock ! And then with a straitjacket on (30 liner limit). Double shock !!

#6 The Codex OFFLINE  

The Codex

Dragonstomper

• 573 posts

Posted Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:37 PM

Superb! That is a smooth game and an astounding conversion, indeed an improvement in many ways. That you pulled off such technical prowess within the confines of this competition only makes it even more impressive. Great job!

#7 Opry99er OFFLINE  

Opry99er

Quadrunner

• 8,260 posts

Posted Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:44 AM

Just played have this thing a good go... Man, that's a greased machine!!! Great job

#8 unhuman OFFLINE  

unhuman

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,142 posts

Posted Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:17 PM

Updated the binary at top to make it less inaccurate. Of course it reset my download count. Sad. :(

Off to update the official entry thread.

#9 sometimes99er OFFLINE  

sometimes99er

River Patroller

• 3,922 posts

Posted Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:07 AM

Eh, I can also move the ship up and down :?:

#10 unhuman OFFLINE  

unhuman

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,142 posts

Posted Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:09 AM

Sounds like something is wrong with your TI.

Eh, I can also move the ship up and down :?:

#11 The Codex OFFLINE  

The Codex

Dragonstomper

• 573 posts

Posted Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:30 AM

Isn't vertical movement intentional in the game? If not, I'm going to have to take back some of the nice things I said. ;)

#12 unhuman OFFLINE  

unhuman

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,142 posts

Posted Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:32 AM

Err - you guys serious? Guess there will a mad dash to recheck & fix before the deadline... Grumble.

Isn't vertical movement intentional in the game? If not, I'm going to have to take back some of the nice things I said. ;)

#13 The Codex OFFLINE  

The Codex

Dragonstomper

• 573 posts

Posted Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:45 AM

I'm tempted to say leave it in, or at minimum just cap the range of the player's vertical motion. It adds to the game, giving it that "field of motion" that some of the post-Invaders vertical shooters had.

#14 unhuman OFFLINE  

unhuman

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,142 posts

Posted Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:49 AM

Not sure how that could've happened. Oh crap. Can't allow any more motions, etc. The game is already at it's limit for what it can do checking wise. It's packed tight. Wonder if I didn't do "new" between working stuff and just got lucky. Who knows.

I'm tempted to say leave it in, or at minimum just cap the range of the player's vertical motion. It adds to the game, giving it that "field of motion" that some of the post-Invaders vertical shooters had.

#15 The Codex OFFLINE  

The Codex

Dragonstomper

• 573 posts

Posted Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:12 AM

I noticed the vertical motion in the first release of the game. Assumed it was intentional all along. :ponder:

#16 Opry99er OFFLINE  

Opry99er

Quadrunner

• 8,260 posts

Posted Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:25 AM

In your joystick routine, just don't allow for up or down motion... It might in fact decrease the length of code. :) But I like the concept too of having a bit of vertical motion. :) Still slick man--- haven't tested it on real gear yet, but I'll do that during the judging phase. :)

#17 unhuman OFFLINE  

unhuman

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,142 posts

Posted Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:29 AM

y'know, coulda sworn I did it right - but whatever. I've openly lost my mind before. I also haven't played it on a real TI. But, there's a lot of competition, so need it to be as good as possible.

#18 unhuman OFFLINE  

unhuman

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,142 posts

Posted Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:18 PM

Refixed. I prolly just didn't notice b/c I use keyboard. Thanks for the pointer.

#19 Willsy OFFLINE  

Willsy

River Patroller

• 3,011 posts

Posted Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:16 PM

Yeah - just reviewing this after sometimes' neat little demo.

This is the real deal, right here! I'm still gobsmacked by this! :-o Utterly utterly amazing!

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users