IGNORED

Any tipps on how to remove labels from floppy disks?

Well, the title says it all. What's your suggestion on how to remove labels from 5.25" floppy disks, without destroying/damaging the disk? I wouldn't dare to try the usual hairdryer trick, as it is very possible it could heat the disk to temperatures too high for the disk (most safety instructions on the back of the sleeves give a maximum temperature of 52°C/125°F).

How much "force" do you think is okay to apply when trying to pull of labels without hurting the disk? It is better when I try holding down the disk with my other hand so it does bend as little as possible while pulling off a label, or may that actually "increase the stress" to the disk?

Edited by Herbarius

I use a hairdryer for this all the time. Without boring you with a long story, I've had to remove lots of labels from 5.25" disks lately. It won't damage the disk itself but can warp the housing if you aren't careful. Some labels come right off, and others are so hard to remove that it isn't even worth trying.

You can also try Goo-Gone or WD40...

Chris

Did you use the hair dryer at full power or the lower setting? (Or if you have more than two settings on your hairdryer, which did you use?)

EDIT: Now that I think of it, is the lower setting using a lower temperature at all? Or does it only regulate the speed at which the air is blown out, which would make the actual temperature the same, or even a higher temperature on the lower setting.

Edited by Herbarius

I would think there risks outweigh the benefits. Either apply a different label over the old one or assign a code number to each disk. Write the number with a felt marker on the original label then list what is on that disk in a separate document.