IGNORED

HxC Floppy Emulator: any ST owners here getting one?

ok - stupid question. I get that this device allows you to covert your disks to run off the SD card (using a PC). My question: does this function as a pseudo-hard drive, but run off the floppy drive port (and subsequent speeds)? In other words, can I load up 1GB worth of ST files/images, and select what to play off the SD card (albeit at floppy speeds)?

Well not exactly 1GB floppy.

If you also read my post on the UK based Atari forums, you would have seen - about my question on "Monster floppy" :twisted:

Jeff replied that the ST can read up to 256 tracks, note that normal floppy is about 20 tracks (both sides).

However, the PC software can create a 127 track floppy, the "monster" floppy.

Such a beast will be about 8 MB large ( 6 x 1.4MB).

Ok, so not 1GB but you should be able to transfer files > 1.4MB easily with this.

Of course we have to see the real hardware to confirm this ;)

amazed that he is getting away with such a long pr-order, The SaTan drive thingies were all refunded due to paypal/ebay terms about the goods have to be available. That and the Pandora.

I'm sure everything will be OK, he is a good guy

• 2 weeks later...

IT'S HERE AND IT WORKS!!!!

I can't believe how cool this is!

This is the "Sdrive for the ST" that I've been wishing for! It also supports SDHC cards, according to the instructions!

I am using it on 520ST (no built-in drive) and the board out of another SF314 drive.

My setup is extremely crude; I'm going to have to build or buy some extensions, to say the very least.

I've only had it running a few minutes. ST Arkanoid and Super Sprint - my test games.

Not sure what an elegant case solution would be, but mutilating a dead SF354 may be an option. I think the floppy cable in STfm is too short as well.

Seeing as how floppy drives have been so passe for so long, I am looking for suggestions as to where to source stuff like cables, etc. Would be nice to get a 34-pin male connector, some cable, and a female - and make an extension so you don't have to change anything on the ST. Also, a power cable extension would be nice. This only uses the +5v power (ignoring the 12v), I don't think I've ever heard of (nor seen need for) a floppy power connector. Just that a nice extension would make for a neater job than hacking and splicing.

click to enlarge

post-16281-127325971562_thumb.jpg

Edited by wood_jl

It's a shame so few people [in this country] care about the ST. I have to declare I've been away for a long time, so I guess it's a shame regarding myself as well.

I just can't believe how well this hxc device works. I've been fooling around - SUCCESSFULLY - for hours.

The ST certainly isn't an A8. It has an entirely differnet look/feel, it's from a different time period, etc. It was one hell of a bang-for-the-buck machine, no question there. I like the "COLOR MAC FOR 1/3 THE PRICE" line. Youngsters nowdays would have difficulty conceptualizing a world where - YES - the Mac was a black and white piece of shit in a little shitbox case with no resolution. [Macs are - in my opinion - pretty stunning today]

I've been perusing the ST "TOSEC" collection and "GamebaseST" with the HxC device and a 2GB card, and I'm completely tired now. What a hell of a way to fool with a computer; there's too much to try!!!

I don't know how "technical" you folks are, or how much you care about the ST [very little, evidently, as I am guilty of in years past] but today has been extremely eye-opening and very entertaining for me. I am delighted with the HxC device, and I am likewise absolutely delighted with the strange animal that is ST. It wasn't "the best" but it was close, and overwhelmingly "the best for the money" and this HxC device makes it easy to reclaim the glory days, multiplied by about 10x since you've never seen all this stuff on real floppies because there's too much and you can't help the fact that you're mortal.

Long live the ST!!!!!! Long Live Jeff hxc floppy man, and long live our Atari pal Lotharek for doing a fine job building the thing!!!! I bought 2 of them and they both work flawlessly!!!!

It's sad - for the ST but not the TI-99 - that [all bullshit aside] - THE TI-99/4A HAS A LARGER FOLLOWING ON ATARIAGE.COM THAN THE ATARI ST DOES!!!!!! All I can say is, "WOW." I guess the ST crowd prefers atari-forum, and indeed that is a kick-ass site but so is Atariage and I can't believe how few give a squirt of piss for the ST but embrace stuff like Jaguar and Lynx which certainly did not compete with the fortitude that the ST did; I'd say the ST was the last true "hit" Atari did have. Go figure.

Edited by wood_jl

It's a shame so few people [in this country] care about the ST. I have to declare I've been away for a long time, so I guess it's a shame regarding myself as well.

<snipped>

Quite a few of us are still around...and will be until our last dying breath.

I'd rather play with my ST's than have se...er, well - I really like to play

with my ST's a lot! :)

Hello,

my HXC has arrived too!

Great work, Lotharek!

But how do i get or create this SDHXCFE.CFG File?

regards,

Wolfram.

Your run the little "config" program - the one where you tell it how long to keep the backlight on and whether or not you want the little speaker to click when tracks change (etc) and it generates that file.

You also have to make sure and format the SD card in FAT32. I was - at first - trying to use an OLD 16MB card. Windows just wouldn't give the option to format it in FAT32 - just FAT. So I did, and it didn't work. Turns out it's "too small" to be formatted FAT32. I found an extra 2GB card in my junk, and of course Windows presented the option of FAT32 and it worked!

The ST certainly isn't an A8. It has an entirely differnet look/feel, it's from a different time period, etc. It was one hell of a bang-for-the-buck machine, no question there. I like the "COLOR MAC FOR 1/3 THE PRICE" line. Youngsters nowdays would have difficulty conceptualizing a world where - YES - the Mac was a black and white piece of shit in a little shitbox case with no resolution. [Macs are - in my opinion - pretty stunning today]

Speaking of today's Macs. Is there a way to run Windows-based CDROMs on it using some shareware software? I heard there was some CyberPC or something like that. I don't find much use for them but I got one for almost free and it's intel based so I am assuming there must be a way to use it to run PC-based CDROMs under Mac OS 10.??.??.