IGNORED

Monkey Industries

Cebus Capucinis

On a secondary note F^&* spray paint for these babies, they're geting a RIT Dye Bath..... :D

Vinyl Dye is preferred by most case modders. It sprays on like paint, but chemically bonds with plastics.

I've used it on cameras and such, and its brilliant.

On a secondary note F^&* spray paint for these babies, they're geting a RIT Dye Bath..... :D

Vinyl Dye is preferred by most case modders. It sprays on like paint, but chemically bonds with plastics.

I've used it on cameras and such, and its brilliant.

I'm trying el-cheapo first :) I will be working with that if this does not turn out to my liking.....that stuff is crazy expensive I have heard.

I'm trying el-cheapo first :) I will be working with that if this does not turn out to my liking.....that stuff is crazy expensive I have heard.

Last time I bought some, a couple of years back, it was about $6 a can.

That said, you'll need to sand off any paint you've applied before you try it. Its only meant to adhere to plastics.

Monkey Industries might have to red light this project, cart stacks will not have enough internal structural integrity to be able to hold up the amount of weight I am looking at, and increasing the stacks will lead me to run out of carts too soon! Damn!

EDIT: Maybe with other user input I can figure it out! What I was planning on doing was making a cocktail arcade cabinet with Atari carts! I was going to make legs out of 2x2 stacks of carts in an arrangement similar to my lamp...then using MDF or something build a cabinet for the television to go into. The television would be recessed into the tabletop. I was planning on making a control pad on one side and hack up a 2600 so that the cart slot and switches were on the control panel but with a built-in CX40 joystick and a paddle next to it....

This is a very ambitious project!! Lots of work and I think it still might be doable but my concern now is that the 2x2 stacks of carts are not going to be able to hold up that much weight even with an MDF box made for the cabinet....and with 2x2x25 (which is still a very short table) it is 100 carts x 4 legs = 400 of the carts already used, and it doesn't look anything like what I wanted it to. 3x3 is more structurally sound but I will run out of carts too quickly!

That's actually what I was thinking you were doing (cocktail arcade) but I didn't want to destroy the mystery you were trying to build up LOL. The TV painted black was sort of a dead giveaway.

Could you just build something hidden under the TV to hold most of the TV's weight... sort of like an engine stand? Unless the MDF was supposed to be clear? Then you'd see it. If it's not clear, it seems like that might work. Basically the cart shell legs would end up being more for balance than anything. The "engine stand" part could be made out of wood, I guess, unless excess heat comes out of that TV. Also, some TV's don't like being mounted like that. Did you try it out first to see if it still works well in that position?

Cool idea though... you're full of them!

Let me know how the RIT dye works out. I have done it on other types of plastics and it works incredibly well... but don't know how it would work on cart/computer case plastic.

The Rit Dye did okay....I should have let it cure more! I did it for 45 minutes, but should have done 60 methinks because they looked better but still not brand-new.

Yeah, the TV works fine when tipped over in that way -- I got it for $19.99 at my local pawn shop ironically! I was really hoping I could just use one big piece of particle board to keep the whole thing up, but it would be rather unstable I think.

With the 4 legs it wouldn't be hidden enough, I don't think. I now see why most arcade cocktail cabinets are just solid pieces rather than a table with legs! Hmm, I am seeing what you mean by like an engine stand now....that could possibly work but I think it would be beyond my monkey skills. It would probably have to be steel as nothing else would hold it up....

The Rit Dye did okay....I should have let it cure more! I did it for 45 minutes, but should have done 60 methinks because they looked better but still not brand-new.

Yeah, the TV works fine when tipped over in that way -- I got it for $19.99 at my local pawn shop ironically! I was really hoping I could just use one big piece of particle board to keep the whole thing up, but it would be rather unstable I think.

With the 4 legs it wouldn't be hidden enough, I don't think. I now see why most arcade cocktail cabinets are just solid pieces rather than a table with legs! Hmm, I am seeing what you mean by like an engine stand now....that could possibly work but I think it would be beyond my monkey skills. It would probably have to be steel as nothing else would hold it up....

You have to keep stirring the dye (well, you used a wash machine?! LOL... so I guess that wasn't an issue!) and use more salt than the instructions call for for best results. I'll have to try it sometime on an old C64 case or something.

Yeah, I was thinking you were somehow going to fill in the sides with sheets of MDF or whatever. You could put the sheets on the INSIDE of the legs, and that would hide the frame. But then you probably wouldn't have enough ventilation for the TV. Probably best to red-light this before the red lights are coming from the fire department!

Well I still have my original little project from earlier that I am doing. I have a Plan B anyhow ;)

Like you are saying, it would be good to use solid pieces of MDF for it and then what I could do is glue the carts to the MDF and print labels so it is just a big wall of Atari carts on the sides....that would be pretty cool but yeah, fire hazard is also something I didn't consider and with no ventilation for the TV (even with my original idea there wouldn't have been)........good call!

it would be good to use solid pieces of MDF for it and then what I could do is glue the carts to the MDF and print labels so it is just a big wall of Atari carts on the sides....

Hmmm, yeah, that's an even better thought than I was envisioning. If you can figure out a way to ventilate it just a little bit, maybe it's worth pursuing. The old CRT's in actual cocktail cabinets just had a little bit of ventilation, but they also didn't have the plastic case. Dunno, I'm not an electrician or a fire marshall, so I'm totally unqualified to tell you how safe that may or may not be!

Unfortunately now we are venturing into the realm of table saws, routers, vice grips, and other scary things monkey does not own, so yeah, project probably not happening....damn!

HMMM...wait...if I made it just wide enough for the TV it would have enough integrity to hold the weight....but then ventilation is going to be an issue still.....

Yeah, I think CEO of Monkey Industries is going to red-light this project. My imagination was bigger than my capabilities!