IGNORED

7800 - Tempest

GroovyBee

The 192 lines comes from the 16K RAM needed to store the 4BPP data for the video display's bitmap. I don't want to get into scaling because it'll slow the game down quite a bit.

In the latest version I've moved the level's wire frame graphics down the screen by adjusting the final coordinates that the 7800 has to plot. It still needs some work to get the score, high score, lives and level all on screen at the same time but I think it'll look and play fine when its been optimised.

Maybe you could shorten the zones by one line (ie. Don't display every 8th row or something like that). Of course that might not look good.

Maybe you could shorten the zones by one line (ie. Don't display every 8th row or something like that). Of course that might not look good.

As far as I can see the game screens will completely fit on the 7800 display just by moving them down 24 pixels so its not an issue at the moment.

However, any other games that use the maximum height of the Beeb display would require many more tweaks other than straight code porting.

Wow - this is awesome!

Thanks for the compliment, however all I'm doing is ignoring unsupported Beeb OS calls, turning joystick input into fake keys and drawing points and lines :lol:.

The original Superior Software Beeb game was sanctioned by Atari so I'm guessing this is a good version of the game.

Those pics look amazing! I'm soo glad to see the 7800 getting a version of Tempest... it belongs in the library of all Atari Systems (2600-Jaguar)

Continued success and I wouldn't complain if someone could post a couple more pics! :) (No CC2 for me so all I can do is drool like I used to reading Electronic Games back in the day! lol )

Thats great looking so far no CC2 either but the Wii will do for testing icon_smile.gif

Pardon my ignorance but how can I get this to run on my Wii? I know nothing about emulators and such, nevermind getting them to work on my Wii!

That would be a great way to go to test 7800 WIP's though!

Thats great looking so far no CC2 either but the Wii will do for testing icon_smile.gif

Pardon my ignorance but how can I get this to run on my Wii? I know nothing about emulators and such, nevermind getting them to work on my Wii!

That would be a great way to go to test 7800 WIP's though!

I used http://wiibrew.org for my info when I installed the Homebrew Channel and then got Raz0red's Wii7800 and Wii2600 emulators They both work pretty damn good (wouldnt replace either of my consoles for emu's but for WIP Testing not bad)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Nothing new to report. Debugging anything serious on the 7800 emulators is a royal pain :(.

It won't work in the currently available Harmony Cart which is solely targeted at 2600 use. However, if the H2 allows 16K of RAM I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Thanks for the update. Hmmm...so there is going to be a Harmony Cart 2 that could be used for the 7800 as well? Is that brand new? I hadn't heard anything about it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...