IGNORED

Painted? Astrosmash label

As I've mentioned before, I'm working on the Intellivision variation list. With the help of INTV Funhouse, I've been able to work rather accurately so far, and have even given them some missing scans they didn't have.

I just came across this, and thought it was a normal variation. Astrosmash doesn't have many, the few being red, with one white. I have the small label version that's not on INTV FH, so you'll get to see that in a day or two when I finish Astrosmash. This one that is strange has a date of 1981, which the other red labels don't have dates. The USA has moved to the bottom right. But the funny thing is this isn't a label, it's painted directly on the cartridge. There is a light red border, which I thought the label covered up something, but then I took a real close look at it and see that it's not a label at all.

Has anyone seen this before, and if so, are there other titles with it? I'm posting the scan here so you can see if for yourself before I get it up on the website with all the Astrosmash listings.

Phil

post-1349-126870167798_thumb.jpg

I've run across a few of these direct-screened carts. Back when I was still doing the recycled shells, scraping the ink off these was.... special.

I am SO glad I am no longer in the business of defacing existing Intellivision cartridges to make my own.

What the deuce? There's solder holes so it's a 2-chip board but only 1 chip inside.....very, very weird!

That's actually pretty standard. Astrosmash is a 4K game, and the earliest copies probably went out as dual 2K ROMs. When the 4K ROMs got cheaper, they probably cost-reduced. The 2K, 4K, 8K etc. ROMs all have the same pinout, so a two-chip board layout can accommodate many different game sizes without them making different boards.

I've run across a few of these direct-screened carts. Back when I was still doing the recycled shells, scraping the ink off these was.... special.

I am SO glad I am no longer in the business of defacing existing Intellivision cartridges to make my own.

What a shame you did that, you scraped away history!

A tear came to my eye..........