IGNORED

SimpleStereo v3 and IO-Board

candle

As I see some intrest in IO-Board (SIO2PC running at 126kbit/s under AspeQT and connector set for SimpleStereo) and SimpleStereo (dual pokey upgrade, audio mixer and amplifier, aki (atari keyboard interface - enables Atari to use standard PC keyboards), and covox all in one upgrade) I wonder if there is a point in making another production run of those boards

i would also like to introduce some improovements compared to v2 boards:

as for SimpleStereo

- audio channels remapped in Amiga style (required by interia player, NeoTracker can be set up for SimpleStereo board mappings)

- added support for Atari ST (Mega ST, STE and TT) keyboards

as for IO-Board

- stand alone mode (to enable it for use as 1050 to PC interface with aproperiate software)

price would stay the same

$45 for SimpleStereo (pokey chip not included)

$28 for IO-Board

I need at least 10 people to make it happend, otherwise board cost would not be acceptable for anyone

Sign me up for a SimpleStereo board! Having an extra POKEY and a PC keyboard interface in one upgrade is a brilliant idea.

I've still got lots of POKEY chips (on 7800 Ballblazer cartridge boards), so if anyone needs an inexpensive POKEY to go with their SimpleStereo, let me know!

Hello Candle

What address range would the Covox upgrade be mapped too?

Would the SimpleStereo upgrade have all the extra's Mega-Hz's upgrade has?

Still no way to get to use the interupt of the second Pokey?

I really don't like all the pins on the old version of the IO-Board. Is there a way around this?

greetings

Mathy

same as on v2 - d280-d283, or d600-d603

simplestereo already has everything that Wolfram's board have

irq from second pokey causes some problems with some software, so the answer stays no

if you don't like all the pins of the old version of the io-board, then its not for you - they are ment for people that would like to extend their ataris beyond one internal sio device, and provide lots of flexibility

Dual POKEY and Covox I can understand. Keyboard interface... does that need an OS patch? What does the I/O board do, and how are these boards installed? Thanks.

No, my understanding is that the AKI interface doesn't require an OS patch. It adapts the PC keyboard signals for the existing keyboard interface on the POKEY chip. The I/O board seems to be an SIO2PC interface, for connecting the Atari computer to a PC running a peripheral emulator (SIO2PC or APE).

Candle's Web Site:

http://spiflash.org/block/12.html

I'd like to see a photo of the back of the Atari where all the connectors are.

Check out my AA blog post detailing my Simple Stereo + IOBoard here. I am not finished with it yet - this reminds me, I have to ask candle some questions about the final few wires.

- added support for Atari ST (Mega ST, STE and TT) keyboards

Does this mean I can directly wire any ST (and Falcon) keyboard to the board without problems? That would simplify one of my old projects enormously.

Count me in for 1 Simple Stereo and 1 IO-Board.

Candle's Web Site:

Check out my AA blog post detailing my Simple Stereo + IOBoard here. I am not finished with it yet - this reminds me, I have to ask candle some questions about the final few wires.

That's what I wanted to know where the wires are going from the two boards-- i.e., how many wires need to be soldered assuming you have socketed chips on 800XL or is this only for XE systems?

Candle's Web Site:

That's what I wanted to know where the wires are going from the two boards-- i.e., how many wires need to be soldered assuming you have socketed chips on 800XL or is this only for XE systems?

It's quite a few wires actually, even with all chips socketed. I will update the blog when I finish the installation. I've been too busy to work on it for the past few weeks. I'll put together a list of what I still need to finish it, and send off a PM to candle this evening. When I have it done, I will offer him my pictures and see if he wants me to write up a point to point wiring tutorial. As far as I know, both boards will work in every model of Atari. My instructions will unfortunately be specific to the 130XE since that is the only model I have.

Candle's Web Site:

It's quite a few wires actually, even with all chips socketed. I will update the blog when I finish the installation. I've been too busy to work on it for the past few weeks. I'll put together a list of what I still need to finish it, and send off a PM to candle this evening. When I have it done, I will offer him my pictures and see if he wants me to write up a point to point wiring tutorial. As far as I know, both boards will work in every model of Atari. My instructions will unfortunately be specific to the 130XE since that is the only model I have.

I guess a comparison with other Dual POKEY boards as to how many wires need to be soldered may help. I guess a mono-aural dual POKEY should work with minimal soldering if it used existing audio output.