SNES Game Genie question

10 replies to this topic

#1 atari2600land OFFLINE  

atari2600land

Quadrunner

• 7,796 posts
  • Happy birthday, Abe!

Posted Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:11 AM

I have a SNES model 2 (the one that came out late in the SNES's life.) I got a Game Genie, and none of the codes work. Do I need a model 1 SNES or is it a defective Game Genie?

#2 Nukey Shay OFFLINE  

Nukey Shay

Sheik Yerbouti

• 20,921 posts

Posted Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:58 AM

Dumb question:
Is the code-enable switch on the GG toggled on? IIRC, the SNES and Genesis versions had them.

#3 atari2600land OFFLINE  

atari2600land

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 7,796 posts
  • Happy birthday, Abe!

Posted Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:33 AM

Dumb question:
Is the code-enable switch on the GG toggled on? IIRC, the SNES and Genesis versions had them.

Yes, it was.

#4 figgler OFFLINE  

figgler

River Patroller

• 3,153 posts
  • Dot Matrix With Stereo Sound

Posted Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:35 AM

Mine does that too, in both versions of SNES. I figured mine was faulty too. You should be able to still use it as a pass through for imports though

#5 atari2600land OFFLINE  

atari2600land

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 7,796 posts
  • Happy birthday, Abe!

Posted Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:38 AM

Wait a second, this means I can play Japanese SNES games on my American SNES now?

#6 figgler OFFLINE  

figgler

River Patroller

• 3,153 posts
  • Dot Matrix With Stereo Sound

Posted Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:34 PM

Right, that should work for you provided you can get the SFC cart into the Genie. You might need to remvoe the claspy-lock thingy on the front to make it happen.
Both SNES and N64 will play Japanese games, as there is no region lockout chip, but the trick is that the carts are made differently so that the imports won't fit in our cart slots. If you can create a bridge, like a Game Genie, Action replay, Honey Bee, etc, the Poof! you can play imports. Alternatively, so people mode systems or games so that they'll fit, but using a pass through is much better of course

#7 Classic Pac OFFLINE  

Classic Pac

River Patroller

• 3,048 posts

Posted Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:50 PM

I know on the Genesis Game Genie you can use it to by pass the regional lockout.

#8 Ze_ro OFFLINE  

Ze_ro

Quadrunner

• 8,511 posts
  • Welcome Back!

Posted Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:33 PM

The only region lockout on the SNES (aside from PAL/NTSC issues) are the notches in the cartridge port, and the Game Genie has the same posts as the system. If you really want region free play, you could just break the posts out of the console itself, without bothering with a Game Genie.

--Zero

#9 Video OFFLINE  

Video

Quadrunner

• 6,980 posts

Posted Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:37 PM

You can use it as a passthrough for any game that doesn't have the wings on the side of the port (don't know what you'd call it, like Starfox has the extra pins on the side of the main cart pinout)

I'd suggest cleaning the hell out of it. It is possible that it's just a finicky bastard, It's especially so when you start stacking carts for systems like that. The GG has a loose port IIRC anyways, so you may not make a good contact. As for the switch, if that's off, it should just boot to the game, instead of the GG screen.

#10 Wntermute OFFLINE  

Wntermute

Moonsweeper

• 471 posts

Posted Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:19 AM

Actually, there is a region lockout of sorts, but the main difference is PAL and NTSC (Japan & US have the same region chip).
http://en.wikipedia....egional_lockout

I have a Pro Action Replay for SNES and it has 2 slots for the purpose of bypassing region lockouts. One for the cartridge to be played (on top) and one for the domestic cartridge lockout donor (on the back). Unfortunately, it was created back when most of the games only used the middle section of the cartridge slot, so it doesn't have a wide enough slot for special chip games like Star Fox and Yoshi's Island.

I double-checked with my SNES Game Genie, it has a wide slot on the top, but the extra pins aren't connected to anything.. it has the middle section only on the card edge side.

#11 Video OFFLINE  

Video

Quadrunner

• 6,980 posts

Posted Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:16 PM

I've heard stories of people modding their genies to play the wide carts, don't see any reason why not, but as it's probably not compatible as a cheat device at that point anyways, not sure what the point would be, other than an antilockout.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users