IGNORED

[AQUARIUS] Mattel Aquarius Multi-Cart

Aquaricopia? Aquaripedia? Aquaripendium? Whatever you call it, it will be legend....wait for it...ary!!! Morgan

I rather like 'Aquaricart'.... But hey, whatever it's called, it will ROCK!! Even if it's called 'Fred' ... :P

I pre-ordered mine yesterday.... :cool:

Soo nice to see some love for this most un-loved system.. (OK, ppl here have some Aquarius love, but ask the average person.... :( )

• Like 1

Ah, I get it now. I don't watch TV, so most pop culture references just go right over my head.

I really need to pick a final name and put an end to all this crazy speculation ... :)

Not that it matters to this discussion, but that famous Looney Tunes bit about the rabbits is a parody of the book "Of Mice and Men."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8f9UmK5d0Og

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuxVKReKDm4&feature=related

Edited by Jay Silverheels

Jay was a little self conscious about my videos showing his naked multi-cart in my Aquarius, thinking it looked ugly... I personally though t it was a work of art. So I made some clothing for it so it looks pretty, I put it in a shell and added a label.

post-24636-128796507997_thumb.jpg

Edited by the-topdog

Jay was a little self conscious about my videos showing his naked multi-cart in my Aquarius, thinking it looked ugly... I personally though t it was a work of art. So I made some clothing for it so it looks pretty, I put it in a shell and added a label.

Nice work! Same with the 32k cart. I now have cart envy. ;-)

Are pre-orders being taken for these yet? If yes then what is the procedure?

I've been asked this by several people, so let me give my answer here. I'm very grateful for your interest, but I decided early on that I was not going to be offering open pre-orders on this project.

The main reason is that, in the years I've been watching the classic gaming and computing hobby, I've seen pre-orders go disastrously wrong in too many different ways. I didn't want to create even the possibility of something similar happening with my project, especially given all of the unknowns that were involved: it was my first attempt to design a hardware product of any kind, the first time anyone had implemented a bankswitched cartridge design on the Aquarius, and so on. The project could very easily have failed at any number of points in its evolution. I'm very glad that it didn't, but I'm also glad that I did the whole thing out of my own pocket, so that the risk was mine alone.

I hope my reasons for foregoing pre-orders sound reasonable to you, but don't worry: when they're finally ready to ship, there should be plenty of multi-carts available for everyone who wants one. :)

In the interest of full disclosure, I will say that I have extended private pre-order invitations to a few individuals, mostly to people who have been following the project and who expressed interest in it early on. But that was only so I could get enough of my money back to manufacture the boards and to acquire the other components I will need, and as I told them, I was reluctant to take even that small step until I was certain that all the required pieces (hardware and software) were present and working well together, albeit in an incomplete form.

Limiting my pre-orders to a small group of people will also make it easier to issue full refunds if I get hit by a truck or if some other unexpected crisis occurs. I'm very close to the end now, and I'm not anticipating any such crisis. At the moment, I'm only aware of one remaining issue that might (but probably won't) affect the success of the project; the rest is just finishing what I've started and making it as polished and as professional as I can make it. I'm still on track to have it done within three or four weeks, but if something happens to change that, I'll let everyone here know about it immediately.

• Like 1

While I'm at it, I should also say that I've thought seriously about the many suggestions that were submitted for a final name for the multi-cart. I've decided on "Aquaricart" as the final name, but I'm very grateful to everyone who contributed their ideas.

"Aquaricart" is nice and easy to say, it ties in nicely with "Intellicart" (Chad Schell's earlier multi-cart for the Intellivision), there are presently no other occurrences of that name to be found on Google (outside of this thread), and most important, "Aquaricart" has an even number of letters in it, so I can center it perfectly on the Aquarius's 40-column screen without having more spaces on one side than the other! :)

(I'm keeping "Album Cartridge" as the "subtitle," because I still like it much better than "multi-cart.")

Many thanks to BassGuitari, who was (I think) the one who suggested the name first! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

amazing improvements from the beginning idea!

I agree! I'm sooooo glad that Jay made this... cuz my attempt at a multicart would have been duct taping all of my cartridges to a hula-hoop then just turning the hoop to the game I wanted to play and insert :ponder:

Jay rocks! :D

Edited by the-topdog

I agree! I'm sooooo glad that Jay made this... cuz my attempt at a multicart would have been duct taping all of my cartridges to a hula-hoop then just turning the hoop to the game I wanted to play and insert :ponder:

Well, I think that's only one or two steps removed from what I started with, so don't feel so bad! :)

• Like 1

While I'm at it, I should also say that I've thought seriously about the many suggestions that were submitted for a final name for the multi-cart. I've decided on "Aquaricart" as the final name, but I'm very grateful to everyone who contributed their ideas.

"Aquaricart" is nice and easy to say, it ties in nicely with "Intellicart" (Chad Schell's earlier multi-cart for the Intellivision), there are presently no other occurrences of that name to be found on Google (outside of this thread), and most important, "Aquaricart" has an even number of letters in it, so I can center it perfectly on the Aquarius's 40-column screen without having more spaces on one side than the other! :)

(I'm keeping "Album Cartridge" as the "subtitle," because I still like it much better than "multi-cart.")

Many thanks to BassGuitari, who was (I think) the one who suggested the name first! :thumbsup:

You're quite welcome! Happy to contribute. :)

(Incidentally, I was also thinking of the Intellicart, and jokingly came up with "Untellicart," since most Aquarius games kind of look like "dumbed-down" versions of Intellivision games...but I didn't think that would fly. :D Also, I feared it might be misconstrued as trashing the work being done here.)

(Incidentally, I was also thinking of the Intellicart, and jokingly came up with "Untellicart," since most Aquarius games kind of look like "dumbed-down" versions of Intellivision games...but I didn't think that would fly. :D Also, I feared it might be misconstrued as trashing the work being done here.)

Hey, no worries ... that's not nearly as bad as suggesting that we aren't a viable community or anything of that sort! :)

• Like 1

Why I ought-ta!

;-)

Good name. Good job picking it.