IGNORED

Anyone have old 5.25 games laying around?

I just got a nice Heathkit PC with dual floppies. It was upgraded with the 386/25 upgrade kit back in the day, and is running on DOS 6 and Windows 3.1

I was hoping to buy some old DOS games for it now.

Whether its an unwanted stack of backed up or bootlegs, or in the original box, I just want to get some gaming out of this PC!

I have very fond memories of popping in that big ol' floppy and typing A:\ and then "run" :D

I have some lying around here somewhere...

I just got a nice Heathkit PC with dual floppies. It was upgraded with the 386/25 upgrade kit back in the day, and is running on DOS 6 and Windows 3.1

Whether its an unwanted stack of backed up or bootlegs, or in the original box, I just want to get some gaming out of this PC!

I have very fond memories of popping in that big ol' floppy and typing A:\ and then "run" :D

Its just what I ended up with. I have a few vintage PCs, but I was looking for something in the 386/ 486 range that had 5.25 floppies. Its what I grew up with, I have good memories of playing games like Silpheed, Dig Dug, and Guantlet II on floppy.

Theres just something about popping them in and having to type a command for it to load, its just a good feeling.

And even though I have a boat load of consoles and PCs, I have no games on 5.25 (except Gateway to Apache) and the only PC I had with a 5.25 was a 5150 which cant do too much.

eBay!

**edit: there seem to be a few 5 1/4 floppy games on eBay right now that should be 386-friendly. I see a versions of Lemmings up there right now, cheap.. Although it's coming from the UK and there's no shipping listed :/

The perfect solution would be to get an external 5 1/4" drive that hooks up to modern PCs. I'm not sure if they exist, though.. I see loads of 3.5 external USB drives, but no 5.25s.. With all the abandonware/shareware/freeware DOS games floating around the 'net now, the most ideal situation would be to download them on your modern computer, then transfer them to blank disks for use on the 386.

Here's one I found on eBay. Seems to be the cheapest of the rest. It has a lot of 3.5 floppy games, but it does seem to have a couple of worthy 5 1/4" inch ones (Star Control II and Alone in the Dark, amongst another game or two I haven't heard of). As of writing this, it ends in about 14 hours, with no bids so far:

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 3602454323551?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=360245432355&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

Cool, thanks!

I have seen no external 5 1/4, at least no one that would work on a modern PC, but I have seen plenty of internal ones. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to hook on up to my modern PC to copy shareware and abandon ware games. Maybe I could find some cool floppy disk label makers on eBay too while I'm at it :D

Yep, exactly. Back in the '90s when my Dad had his then-new Pentium 166, I would spend time on it downloading and copying games to 3.5 floppies to load onto my personal 386 (Even back then a lot of DOS titles had been abandoned and made available on the 'net). I would often have to manually spread the files of larger games across multiple disks. Oh, what a pain in the ass it was--especially when I had to copy all of the contents back over to a specified DOS folder on the 386. I digress, though--It was fun while it lasted. Those were the days.. ;)

Remember: Any PC that still supports 3.5" floppy drives should also work with 5.25" drives. Of course, you'll have to have one of those and a cable with the corresponding plugs. Windows up to XP does support them, however I've heard in Vista they finally dropped it.

If you can't get it to work check the options in the BIOS, maybe you've to change the floppy type manually there.

Edited by Herbarius

I definitely had a bunch of games still complete with box. My problem is getting my Copy II PC Option Board going so I can make duplicates of the copy-protected disks. Once I get that done I'll copy whatever you want from my catalog.

In the meantime, there are a lot of sites on line that have titles available for free. Google "abandonware" and you will come up with a ton.

Here's one to get you started:

http://www.abandonwaredos.com/

-Trem

I definitely had a bunch of games still complete with box. My problem is getting my Copy II PC Option Board going so I can make duplicates of the copy-protected disks. Once I get that done I'll copy whatever you want from my catalog.

In the meantime, there are a lot of sites on line that have titles available for free. Google "abandonware" and you will come up with a ton.

Here's one to get you started:

http://www.abandonwaredos.com/

-Trem

Heres another http://www.abandonia.com/

-Darren-