IGNORED

My Air Raid Auction Update

Tanman

This leads me to ask:

In 30 more years, what will this game be going for?

How long will it be before my fifty copies of Combat are worth something?

Does this mean that Nintendo collecting is more valuable than Atari collecting?

Should Tanman's garage be buried in New Mexico?

1) Depends on world economy and all that. 30 years could be post-nuclear like Mad Max. :)

2) About 300 years. :)

3) Nah, Stadium Events, which sold for over $40,000, was sealed. This is the record for a non-sealed game.

4) I don't get it, must be an ET reference. :)

My purpose in life is to archive as much Atari 2600 related items as possible for a Atari 2600 ONLY museum in the future. It is my opinion that the Atari 2600 put video gaming on the map....without the 2600 who knows where video gaming would be today. Moreover, the Air Raid box now adds validity to the background of Air Raid (how ironic that it is going back to its birthplace of Los Angeles, CA). I am glad that I got it and will take very, very good care of it.

Jose, just make sure you have everything insured! Maybe before you open the museum too. When the museum finally opens, I may convince my wife to take a trip to CA.

Phil

It was a heck of a night especially with Tanman keeping us company in the chatroom during the countdown. I congratulate him of course, he's really a very cool person after bsing a couple times. I also hope he isn't deaf from his wife screaming, isn't too tired in the AM after all the fun he's probably having 'celebrating' tonight with his wife, and hope everyone enjoys the round of drinks he's buying in Vegas, lmao.

I am beyong pleased at the home the cart has found and know it at least is going to be well taken care of and shared with the community. Couldn't have gone to a much better person imo, though there were a lot of good people involved throughout.

Thanks also to Albert because if it wasn't for AA and his verification I doubt history would have been made like this.

*Huggz* all and be well.

Tanman is probably in the hospital right now.

We can joke about that, but I'm actually a little concerned. A sudden, unexpected windfall like this is a huge change in a person's life. Even though most of us would have to consider it a positive change, it can nevertheless be a very difficult experience to integrate as a fact of one's life. For many people in these situations, it has lead to real psychological and interpersonal problems (and, ultimately, financial problems, because they never learn to manage their new money properly).

Granted, much larger sums--like multi-million-dollar lottery wins--were usually involved in those cases, but think about it: this auction gradually went up to around $13K and hovered there for several days, but then after everyone involved had gotten used to that, it suddenly jumped to over $31K in the last few seconds. That's a shock by anybody's definition. Now, I'm sure that Tanman is a solid guy who's got all ten toes on the ground, but even so, he might want to consider giving these people a ring. I'd just hate to see this experience turn sour for him.

Ok! I am back from a night of drinking!

Thank you to everyone for all the kind words. I too am glad a AA member got the box. Sounds like it will be taken great care of. And when I visit the museum and peer at the box through to inch think, argon filled glass, I will always be able to say that I once had that item boxed up in my garage. HAHA

Here is the link to the followup story:

http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/archives/52521

And I am now off to bed.

Talk to yall tomorrow!

Tanner

My purpose in life is to archive as much Atari 2600 related items as possible for a Atari 2600 ONLY museum in the future. It is my opinion that the Atari 2600 put video gaming on the map....without the 2600 who knows where video gaming would be today. Moreover, the Air Raid box now adds validity to the background of Air Raid (how ironic that it is going back to its birthplace of Los Angeles, CA). I am glad that I got it and will take very, very good care of it.

+++ This is a great idea, Jose! This auction has been a lot of fun to watch. It got me to start bidding on some other Atari items, albeit nowhere near 31.6K. icon_wink.gif Thanks to brandonwright for posting the final minute - I had to take the wife to see a movie and missed it... And thanks to Tanman for finding the box in the first place. And if this is an April Fools joke there will be hell to pay... icon_twisted.gif

My cart is great condition, it is in better condition than the one in this auction so I will keep the better copy obviously.

Doesn't that affect the value of the boxed one? You know... like not having matching serial numbers on a vintage car? Provenance and all that? :ponder:

I agree. It should be kept complete with the matching box and cartridge the way it was bought from the store. Switching out the cart is just like rebuilding an engine. Sure it's all original parts but a rebuilt engine has the stigmata of being rebuilt.

• Like 1

HOLY COW! IT SOLD FOR...

$31,600!!!!!

My friend and I were watching it. First $16,700, then $17,000, then it suddenly jumped to $30,000 in the last few seconds, when the winner jumped in with $31,600 at the last second. I never had so much fun watching an auction on eBay!

Congratulations on the that! It almost beat the Nintendo Summer Games record.

You can get a really decent car for $31,600. That definitely is some major money.

Even though Air Raid for 31k is not the greatest long term investment it is a way better investment then a new car which is worth about half the price the second you drive it off the lot. If I had to invest 30k on either a new car or a boxed Air Raid, I would go with Air Raid. In ten years that car will be worthless and Air Raid will be???? Who knows.....but it will be worth more than the car ;)

Nice score Wonder, looking forward to seeing some collection pics one of these days ;) :)

You can get a really decent car for $31,600. That definitely is some major money.

Even though Air Raid for 31k is not the greatest long term investment it is a way better investment then a new car which is worth about half the price the second you drive it off the lot. If I had to invest 30k on either a new car or a boxed Air Raid, I would go with Air Raid. In ten years that car will be worthless and Air Raid will be???? Who knows.....but it will be worth more than the car ;)

Nice score Wonder, looking forward to seeing some collection pics one of these days ;) :)

Come on Crazy Climber, I am the last person on this site you should be telling this too. ;) I hope my words did not come off as criticizing. I was just trying to correlate how amazing the ending auction price was. Congrats to both Tanman, and Wonder. This day will be looked back in history for a very, very long time. 20 years from now they will be talking about this auction.

Yeah, had to report this (I'm the games editor of the site in question), been reading the thread and following the auction since day 1.

It's a shame you weren't in the chatroom, lol, though I am not sure I want certain people if not the world to know what words I woke my daughter up with at the closing second of the auction. :ponder: Lets pray she never ever repeats them again. :ponder:

Just remember all, even nerd hangovers are a way or reminding you you really kicked butt last night, or at least Wonder did. :D Along with the Gatoraid and Excedrin Migraine just watch the last 10 seconds of teh auction again and that should help fix things. :D

ps - Brandon is famous, lmao, for something other then being a pain. Congrats Brandon, one of your best moments catching the last min of that auction on vid!

Yeah, had to report this (I'm the games editor of the site in question), been reading the thread and following the auction since day 1.

pps- I just felt I have to add that Wonder is such an amazing person that even with everything he took the time to drop me a quick msg last night and asked how my health and how the Princess is doing and to talk family. I'm not saying it to embarass him or anything but good friends here like that have kept me going and it speaks volumes about the kind of person he truly is and what is most important. So thank you, it truly means so much.

Come on Crazy Climber, I am the last person on this site you should be telling this too. ;) I hope my words did not come off as criticizing. I was just trying to correlate how amazing the ending auction price was. Congrats to both Tanman, and Wonder. This day will be looked back in history for a very, very long time. 20 years from now they will be talking about this auction.

Yeah, I did think it was a little out of character for you to say a car is a better investment than an Atari game, I must have took your quote wrong.