IGNORED

My Air Raid Auction Update

Tanman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zDoKY9QJJU

For the poor people who missed the auction. Keep in mind, the video is still processing.

Thanks for posting, I missed out on the action. Congrats Jose :party:

Yeah, even though I witnessed it end the auction is just so much cooler to watch with final countdown playing in the background :D

And now that I know just how much I really don't fit in here anymore,

Why? Because you have an opinion and place your priorities a little differently than some others? If anyone else has a problem with that, it's their issue, not yours, fuggedaboutit! Some people will spend a lot of $ on a box, others won't, still others would but can't, and many wouldn't and can't anyway LOL... takes all types.

Congrats to Tanman.

And now that I know just how much I really don't fit in here anymore, I'll say goodbye to you all (until the next soapbox opportunity, anyway).

Why Don't you think you fit in here anymore?? I didn't know anything about AtariAge til a few days ago and I'm glad I joined cause so many people have so many different types of views that makes all these discussions great. Yes, I'll be the first to admit, I don't have any atari items, but now I might start to be interested cause of what others have had to say. I should be the one that should say I don't fit in here but I'm not going to say that cause this is fun. I look forward to what others have to say and who knows once said and done, I might leave here making new friends.

• Like 1

Congrats to Tanman.

And now that I know just how much I really don't fit in here anymore, I'll say goodbye to you all (until the next soapbox opportunity, anyway).

Why Don't you think you fit in here anymore?? I didn't know anything about AtariAge til a few days ago and I'm glad I joined cause so many people have so many different types of views that makes all these discussions great. Yes, I'll be the first to admit, I don't have any atari items, but now I might start to be interested cause of what others have had to say. I should be the one that should say I don't fit in here but I'm not going to say that cause this is fun. I look forward to what others have to say and who knows once said and done, I might leave here making new friends.

That, my friends is what it's all about. This is a great community, with a lot of diverse people, all jamming on their Atari and other retro gear.

Don't leave for something like that. Stick around, talk to some folks, share your interests, and you will make a friend or two. It's hard not to.

We've got everybody here from somebody, who just kind of likes retro, and will run an emulator, or talk about old stuff, to fairly well off people collecting, to programmers both pro and amateur, and professionals looking to escape, and kids having a good time on old tech!! Edit: I forgot Moms. (sorry ladies :) )

You will fit. It's not hard. Cheers!

Edited by potatohead

Got this from the article of Tanmans auction:

I asked Sandlin what he intended to do with the money and he wasn’t quite sure yet. He did know that he wanted to buy something tangible; something he could point at it and say, “I bought that with a video game!”

LMAO, so you want to buy something tangible and just point at it and say you bought that with a video game.... Now thats priceless!!!!

And now that I know just how much I really don't fit in here anymore,

Why? Because you have an opinion and place your priorities a little differently than some others? If anyone else has a problem with that, it's their issue, not yours, fuggedaboutit! Some people will spend a lot of $ on a box, others won't, still others would but can't, and many wouldn't and can't anyway LOL... takes all types.

I think the problem is that he has an issue with us, not the other way around. Additionally, he may just be seeking attention as a drama queen. After all, we are talking about a single unique event. It's not as if every day here at Atari Age is a celebration in excess and frivolity. Most of us appear to be down to earth penny pinchers, at least usually.

If I felt so offended and disenfranchised with an internet forum, I would simply not come back. I would forgo the drama of:

"I'm really leaving now, guys, so don't even try to stop me...I'm grabbing the door handle....I'm turning the door knob...I'm pulling open the door...This is for reals, yo!...I'm taking a step across the threshold...Stay back!...Oh? You want to tell me how great I am? How 'special' I am? How 'wonderful' my opinions are? Well, okay, I'll stay for a few minutes more, but then I'm really leaving. I mean it! Now, you were saying about my insightful wisdom?"

Ironically, I suspect if people were actually jumping on his opinions and attacking him, he'd stick around for a long while. It's no fun when people don't voraciously snap up the bait.

I say yes, if you're looking for drama, attention, and ego stroking, then you may not fit in here.

All is IMHO.

Edited by Jay Silverheels
  • Like 1

I`m late to the party and don`t have much more to add than:

WOW

:cool:

Me, too, I got here around post #1000 and it took a while to get caught up. I did watch the end though, my daughter ran downstairs to see what the noise was about!

April Fools Joke or not? It was an entertaining twist on an already phenomenal find.

Is this too much money? Only if everyone driving a car worth more than $10K or so is doing the same thing. They ought to just drive reliable transportation and feed the world or whatever with the difference.

And people with that kind of money are often very generous to various charities, but they aren't allowed to spend anything on themselves? (Especially in Jose's case, where he plans to display it in a museum!)

Hi Everyone,

I signed up on this website after reading about the AirRaid auction. I had the atari as a kid and to me it'll always be one of the best gaming systems ever.

After looking over the pictures of the cartridge and box, i found it interesting that the logo for Men-A-Vision would be their company name in front of a rainbow because that could have some "unintended" meanings.

I'd like to add some hypothesizing:

What if the people involved with the game were from Mena, Arkansas. The area in general has excellent Rainbow trout fishing and is surrounded by Quachita National Forest. Interestingly enough, there is a retail company in that city called Men Rainbow. They deal with retail trade in home furniture, furnishing, household appliances, and some electronics.

Being that i heard the T-handle cartridges also have some origins in Brazil, perhaps that the entire thing was home-brewed with the proper connections to the source material. They obviously wanted a unique looking game case in order to get things started. Perhaps they knew someone in brazil or had a mail order catalog and were shipped a bunch of cheapo cases and they rebranded with their own sticker and made their own game box. It would have taken some work, but they probably had a cheap way of doing it by having the proper connections for source material and box manufacturing as mentioned.

The best area for distribution of a game like this would have been a high population density nearby, and that area would be Dallas/Ft worth at a distance of 4.5 hours driving time from Mena, Arkansas. Tuesday Morning chain stores (such as in Austin) would be within striking range of picking up vendor merchandise from Dallas. This would explain not only the regional nature of the distribution, but also where the game originated from along with the meaning of the company logo.

Personally, i believe that the Taiwan and L.A. California information on the box is completely bogus. Perhaps they wanted to appear to everyone like a legal U.S. company in a great location with world-wide reach.

Ironically, the sale price of the ebay auction last night may have been worth more than it took those original guys to make their entire run of manufactured games at the time, if it was all home brewed. If the original people involved in the original game ever caught wind of this, they might have to search for their own original prototypes still around in their garages. Either that, or their jaw has dropped in awe by how incredibly well their game is currently doing on the open market. I think anyone involved with that "company" probably won't end up stepping forward anytime soon because of the embarrassing legal implications of being associated with this, especially if it was a rogue employee from an actual legal company who was doing some moonlighting on the side for what they thought would be some easy cash. I would think that they would be within 10 years of retirement age anyway by now, so maybe in a few more years it'll come out in the open what happened once they don't have to fear that they'll lose their current jobs.

Your thoughts?

I'm not using the $ sign because after all the assembly programming I've been doing, I kinda associate it with hexadecimal numbers.

Yeah, I understand that... ^^ in another thread somebody said about something "great value at $60!" and I thought "Huh?" :D

Welcome!!!

Hi Everyone,

I signed up on this website after reading about the AirRaid auction. I had the atari as a kid and to me it'll always be one of the best gaming systems ever.

After looking over the pictures of the cartridge and box, i found it interesting that the logo for Men-A-Vision would be their company name in front of a rainbow because that could have some "unintended" meanings.

I'd like to add some hypothesizing:

What if the people involved with the game were from Mena, Arkansas. The area in general has excellent Rainbow trout fishing and is surrounded by Quachita National Forest. Interestingly enough, there is a retail company in that city called Men Rainbow. They deal with retail trade in home furniture, furnishing, household appliances, and some electronics.

Being that i heard the T-handle cartridges also have some origins in Brazil, perhaps that the entire thing was home-brewed with the proper connections to the source material. They obviously wanted a unique looking game case in order to get things started. Perhaps they knew someone in brazil or had a mail order catalog and were shipped a bunch of cheapo cases and they rebranded with their own sticker and made their own game box. It would have taken some work, but they probably had a cheap way of doing it by having the proper connections for source material and box manufacturing as mentioned.

The best area for distribution of a game like this would have been a high population density nearby, and that area would be Dallas/Ft worth at a distance of 4.5 hours driving time from Mena, Arkansas. Tuesday Morning chain stores (such as in Austin) would be within striking range of picking up vendor merchandise from Dallas. This would explain not only the regional nature of the distribution, but also where the game originated from along with the meaning of the company logo.

Personally, i believe that the Taiwan and L.A. California information on the box is completely bogus. Perhaps they wanted to appear to everyone like a legal U.S. company in a great location with world-wide reach.

Ironically, the sale price of the ebay auction last night may have been worth more than it took those original guys to make their entire run of manufactured games at the time, if it was all home brewed. If the original people involved in the original game ever caught wind of this, they might have to search for their own original prototypes still around in their garages. Either that, or their jaw has dropped in awe by how incredibly well their game is currently doing on the open market. I think anyone involved with that "company" probably won't end up stepping forward anytime soon because of the embarrassing legal implications of being associated with this, especially if it was a rogue employee from an actual legal company who was doing some moonlighting on the side for what they thought would be some easy cash. I would think that they would be within 10 years of retirement age anyway by now, so maybe in a few more years it'll come out in the open what happened once they don't have to fear that they'll lose their current jobs.

Your thoughts?