IGNORED

My Air Raid Auction Update

Tanman

Being a long time Atari fan and competitor, I just had to join and put in my comments. I can only say what a fantastic find :o and congrats to tanman and wonder. The last 10 seconds were jawdropping. I was just curious, if the box had a price sticker attached to it, does this mean that it was released without factory shrinkwrap or does Tuesday Morning add price stickers after shrinkwrap is removed?

OMG ... did you see the news?

the men-a-vision programmers want their game back .... they're protesting on the streets with thousands of NES fanboys ...

com0706q.jpg

while on the other side of town, atari fans are protesting because they have heard that the programmers have a secret stash of boxed air raids.

48989-APTOPIX_Gay_Rights_March_DCJM101.jpg

WE WANT A BOX! WE WANT A BOX! WE WANT A BOX!

Edited by jahfish

heyhey there, im a lurker but came out of the woodwork after years of reading and wanted to just say congrats to both tanman and wonder, you guys both made history here with this and its truly heartwarming to see. knowing that this piece of history will go to someone who appreciates it, as well as has an idea and a plan to do something so beautiful as open a museum if it can happen is great and i hope that wonder can follow through with that. i think atari is an incredible prospect to do in this right, i'd be more interested in going and seeing a museum of atari stuff then any other system. you guys did a great thing here and i hope you can recoup some of the cost from your loose copy, as well as maybe with the prospect of the museum.

also, one thing i'd like to clear up: the $40k stadium events did not sell at $40k, it eventually sold for a significant amount less. that would make this in my eyes one of, if not the true holy grail of video game collecting.

heyhey there, im a lurker but came out of the woodwork after years of reading and wanted to just say congrats to both tanman and wonder, you guys both made history here with this and its truly heartwarming to see. knowing that this piece of history will go to someone who appreciates it, as well as has an idea and a plan to do something so beautiful as open a museum if it can happen is great and i hope that wonder can follow through with that. i think atari is an incredible prospect to do in this right, i'd be more interested in going and seeing a museum of atari stuff then any other system. you guys did a great thing here and i hope you can recoup some of the cost from your loose copy, as well as maybe with the prospect of the museum.

also, one thing i'd like to clear up: the $40k stadium events did not sell at $40k, it eventually sold for a significant amount less. that would make this in my eyes one of, if not the true holy grail of video game collecting.

Do you know what the Stadium Events eventually did sell for? Was it more than $31,600, or is Air Raid the highest price ever paid for a game. I know there were a lot of false bidders at the end of that auction.

Do you know what the Stadium Events eventually did sell for? Was it more than $31,600, or is Air Raid the highest price ever paid for a game. I know there were a lot of false bidders at the end of that auction.

Wait, didn't the Powerfest '94 SNES cart sell for like $50k or something? Crap, I can't remember.

-Rob

Really no other game has sold for more than this?

I wonder how long this record will stand?

I imagine more air raids will eventually surface, but I don't know about any more nice, clean boxes.

The Air Raid record, if it is a video game record will probably be broken fairly soon. Now the highest priced Atari 2600 game record I could see lasting for another 4 or 5 years.

Hello All,

Yes, it is I that won it. :) Thanks for the kind words. Since I won, I have an extra Air Raid available. I already received several inquiries on it. Please submit a formal bid for it if you are interested. I know the cart alone was at $4150 on ebay when it was pulled down to change the auction to a CIB one. If I do not get any acceptable offers, I will hold on to it.....not really in a rush to sell it. I am just making it available right now since several people have already asked me about it.

Please PM me with any questions. My cart is great condition, it is in better condition than the one in this auction so I will keep the better copy obviously. I will give it a week to entertain offers (I will make a decision next Saturday at 7:00 pm PDT if I will accept the highest offer or hold on to it...not sure yet.

Thanks,

- Wonder007

BTW: I also have an Atlantis 2 and Music Machine with instructions available if interested as well. :) Thanks for reading. :)

So you have two Air Raids, Atlantis Twos, and Music Machines?

You need to have some video tour of your entire collection of all your 2600 stuff, that collection sounds amazing.

LOL, seriously, duplicates of air raid!?! How dare you!?!

Well, while your at it, you might as well just try to get all 13 of them. :cool:

Edited by BlackDS

LOL, seriously, duplicates of air raid!?! How dare you!?!

sh*t happens!

i'd say the keywords are "Quality Upgrade" and "Museum"

;)

as i do exhibitions from time to time, i have 3 gameline modules, one sealed one opened box to display the content and one i'm gonna sell .... so there is nothing too unnormal about having another copy.

and he is not hoarding them, he is offering them: so go and get them ... or shut up!

:P

Personally does the amount of money Wonder makes really matter? The man makes more than enough to live very comfortably. So whether that amount is $100,000 or $10 Million it in all intents, and purposes is all excess anyways. From the signs I get Wonder is very well off. That is all I really need to know.

I agree Homer. I think that it is fine asking what he does for a living, but asking someone's salary is definately not OK. Asking someone what they do for a living is part of general conversation when getting to know someone.

i wonder why the men-a-vision fans often write "pride" on their flags .... the company only released one game :P :D

....spits ramen noodles on the screen :)

I will say that I am thrilled that Wonder won the auction.

First off he is a good dude and a LOYAL Atari fan and secondly he bought my Glitched Seawolf so.....now my Seawolf and Air Raid are likely in the same room ...part of my collection is now part of the boxed Air Raid collection :)

Wp

Edited by sandmountainslim

Damn.. finally started reading this whole thread from the beginning and am only up to March 31 and starting to get into the intrigue... 12+ days later.

How sad is it that I hang around these forums 24/7 for the past DECADE and barely even glanced at what was going on :lol: I'm a lame 2600 guy :(

Would it be inappropriate to ask what Wonder007 does for a living and what his annual income is? icon_ponder.gif

He may not be insanely rich. Depending on bills, he could do it making 150k to 200k per year.

I know of an Atari collector (not Wonder) who took out second mortgages to buy stuff for his Atari collection. This was a few years ago when it was easy to get a second mortgage.

That's stupid. Really stupid. That's stepping over the line of a fun hobby into obsession. In the end its just circuit boards and plastic and to put your house on the line for it is icon_dunce.gif

People with severe gambling addictions do things like that.

The difference is at least if you spend an insane amount on a game, you're guaranteed to get the game. Not so if you bring an insane amount to Vegas. You may wind up with nothing.