IGNORED

Intellivision II Controller Variations

I am interested in knowing a little more about this latest Intellivision II controller variation i just got in the mail. Here's a couple vids, first one of me opening them and testing them out, and the second comparing them to the other controllers.

I am including pictures below. The ones i just got, the numbers aren't raised at all, the entire keypad is smooth all the way across. But it has the same texture as one of my other controllers. The disc has a gritty surface instead of the smooth surface discs on all other controllers. But what i don't know is if all the controllers discs came like that brand new or not and maybe the grit just got wore off over the years? Also the new ones only say "Hong Kong" on the back. All the others say "Mattel Inc. 1982 Hong Kong" on them.

The gritty disc is easier to use, my thumb doesn't slide off as much. I'd have to do more testing, but with an overlay inserted it may be easier to press a button with a smooth surface.

Pics

The one i just got with smooth keypad and gritty disc and says Hong Kong only on back

Front

picture1573315.jpg

Back

picture1573317.jpg

Second variation. Same textured number pad but with raised numbers

Front

picture1573320.jpg

Back

picture1573324.jpg

Third variation. It has slick and shiny raised numbers

Front

picture1573325.jpg

Back

picture1573330.jpg

The gritty disc is easier to use, my thumb doesn't slide off as much. I'd have to do more testing, but with an overlay inserted it may be easier to press a button with a smooth surface.

-- I got some smooth controllers when I purchased replacements from JHC or some company like that back in 1989-90 ( the official repair center )

I did not like them at all. However, I never used the overlays. I liked the feel of the buttons, so you know where you are on the controller.

The only exception to the No Overlay rule was Utopia. Maybe I never memorized it because it was slow enough paced to actually look at the overlay!

Not knocking Utopia. One of my all time favorites.

I ordered Sears replacements later. I like the bubbled numbers much better.

They were supposed to be "NEW". They worked fine, but they where clearly hand made from spare parts.

Brown lower control housing and Sears "White" upper housing.

I would gladly take SMOOTH ones now. If they where NEW. Manufactured in the last year that is!

Gene

• 1 month later...

I am interested in knowing a little more about this latest Intellivision II controller variation i just got in the mail. Here's a couple vids, first one of me opening them and testing them out, and the second comparing them to the other controllers.

I am including pictures below. The ones i just got, the numbers aren't raised at all, the entire keypad is smooth all the way across. But it has the same texture as one of my other controllers. The disc has a gritty surface instead of the smooth surface discs on all other controllers. But what i don't know is if all the controllers discs came like that brand new or not and maybe the grit just got wore off over the years? Also the new ones only say "Hong Kong" on the back. All the others say "Mattel Inc. 1982 Hong Kong" on them.

Pics

The one i just got with smooth keypad and gritty disc and says Hong Kong only on back

Front

picture1573315.jpg

Back

picture1573317.jpg

Second variation. Same textured number pad but with raised numbers

Front

picture1573320.jpg

Back

picture1573324.jpg

Third variation. It has slick and shiny raised numbers

Front

picture1573325.jpg