IGNORED

Needed: Commodore 1702 Monitors

Albert

I plan on having many classic gaming systems setup at the Classic Gaming Expo this year. In my last appearance at this event I had eight 1702 monitors setup for four systems on a corner, as such:

DSCN2867.JPG

I'd like to do this again, but at present I only own three 1702 monitors. And I'd like to have even more systems setup this time around, probably eight or so (mostly 2600, but also 5200, 7800 and ColecoVision). Unfortunately, 1702 monitors are expensive to ship due to their size and weight. However, I will buy them if I need to--there are usually some on eBay at any given time.

However, I figured I'd ask here first--does anyone have any Commodore 1702 monitors they can either:

1) Bring to the show and allow me to use in the AtariAge booth, or

2) Sell and ship to me?

A third possibility is bringing a monitor to the show and allowing me to buy it and then take it home with me.

At any rate, if you can help out please let me know before I start buying expensive monitors on eBay. :)

Thanks!

..Al

Have you looked into renting?

There are tons of trade shows in Vegas, and consequently companies that rent out monitors.

It'd save you the hassle of lugging them out there.

I'm going to be driving a cargo van up, so bringing them with me isn't a big deal. I want to use Commodore 1702 monitors as they are appropriate for classic gaming systems, they have chroma/luminance inputs (and I have a ton of systems modified with such outputs--2600, 5200, 7800 and CV), and they have a nice, flat top so they can be stacked and you can put stuff (like display placards) on top of them. I bet it would be fairly expensive to rent monitors for the weekend.

I snagged one at MGC from Sean for $30. :)

Yeah, Sean was trying to sell me one at the Portland Retro Gaming Expo. I really didn't have room to take anything extra back with me--it was a tight enough fit as it was. I was driving a Mazda 5, which isn't even a full-size minivan, and it was absolutely jam-packed. Let me see if I can find a picture.

I have a spare one but it doesn't have sound and shipping it to you would probably cost a fortune.

Yeah, would be nice to have one with sound. Although if I stack systems like I did at CGE2K2, I can have monitors that don't have sound (and fixing the audio would probably be easy). But you're right, shipping is a bitch.

..Al

This isn't the exact image I was looking for (I appear to have deleted it), but close enough. :D

moab_car.jpg

This was taken in Moab, Utah on my way back from Portland. Yes, I actually did manage to get my bike INSIDE the car (take pedals and seat off, turn handlebars sideways, the bike slides right in the middle, believe it or not)..

..Al

That beverage is not beer.

Correct, it's a sports drink.

I think a cargo van would be much smarter this time.... :thumbsup:

Depends on the trip and how much I need to bring. Typically I've rented cargo vans. I've also rented normal minivans, which are still pretty roomy with the seats removed/folded down, they are more comfortable to drive and get better gas mileage than cargo vans. But for CGE I will need as much space as possible, hence a cargo van (and I will be bringing my bike again so I can make a few stops in New Mexico).

..Al

Beer IS a sports drink. Haven't you seen all those commercials? Beer is ALWAYS associated with sports. :D

Well like I said our car is available for extra stuff if need be.

Okay having said that I am out the door to be early for my 3:30 attorney appointment. Called at a good time apparently.

Too bad you didn't live near me Al. There's a "Computers for Kids" yard sale held monthly and they have about 3 or 4 of them there at $10 a pop. Shipping would be cost prohibitive though, especially from Canada eh.

Ahh, yeah, $10 in Canadian money would be a great deal! :D Oh, wait, the US and Canadian dollars are almost equal right now. Damn.

..Al

Too bad you didn't live near me Al. There's a "Computers for Kids" yard sale held monthly and they have about 3 or 4 of them there at $10 a pop. Shipping would be cost prohibitive though, especially from Canada eh.

Ahh, yeah, $10 in Canadian money would be a great deal! :D Oh, wait, the US and Canadian dollars are almost equal right now. Damn.

..Al

Actually I think its worth less. I had $10 US and used it at a McDonalds one day and they said it was worth $9.70 Canadian :o

Just for kicks I took my video camera when I was there a couple of weeks ago, you can see some of the 1702's in this

Filthy place but the 1702 I bought works great. They really are a fantastic monitor. Sorry I couldn't be of more help Al.

One of those CL ads is paying off--going to pick up two 1702 monitors in a few minutes. The other guy selling the complete C64 setup doesn't want to sell the 1702 separately. Also have another one in the mail, so once that arrives (and assuming I don't get mugged or anything like that in a bit), I'll have six.

Not yet sure how many I want total, but definitely more than six. :D

..Al