70 replies to this topic

#26 MEtalGuy66 OFFLINE  

MEtalGuy66

River Patroller

• 2,602 posts
  • If it aint broke, fix it anyway!

Posted Fri Apr 2, 2010 10:40 AM

(which reminds me - anyone want a Muncie 4-speed

How much, and which model is it exactly? The aluminum T10 with the (M22) close-ratio gears?

I got a friend who'd probably buy that from you, just to have as a spare..

#27 atariksi OFFLINE  

atariksi

Quadrunner

• 5,337 posts

Posted Fri Apr 2, 2010 11:17 AM

The reason for this amount is because of I was really addicted to atari 8bit for years. I was really "terrified" by the idea there would be a day that all my atari's would not boot anymore. So that is when I started to buy every 2nd hand atari 8bit I saw on internet of market places.

It was definately some kind of obsession. Honest.

I have enough space to store everything. In my new house: a complete room for this kind of equipment.

I am sure when I have that atari fever again, I'm afraid again for the non-atari future, and I start to collect them again. It's some kind of crazyness *blush* I guess....

But I did not start this topic because of the amount... I started the topic to read WHY I should continue on this hobby. Please tell me something really cool about it. Let me know why you are with atari. All those +++ stories might give me a good feeling, so that I decide to stay with you atari people.

Here's some reasons to still use Atari 8-bit:

STA WSYNC (wait for cycle #104 and restart processor during specific DLI)
LDA 54016 (4 cycles, get joystick directions from PIA into accumulator)
LDX 53264 (4 cycles, get trigger info from GTIA into X register)
LDY 53760 (4 cycles, get PADDLE(0) from POKEY into Y register (during VBI))

I don't know how it is said in English, but in Dutch we call that a "Peptalk" which is definately some English-like word... so I hope you understand me better now :D

Marius

Yeah, it's Peptalk, but I think it's "definitely". I may actually have close to 75 computers myself-- not just Atari 8-bits though but mixture of Ataris, Amigas, some STs/C64s/C128s/Apple IIGS/Thinkpads/Atari consoles/etc. But I was trying to support as many different classic computers as possible with MPDOS. Apple never got supported due its nonstandard/nondigital joystick port. Sometimes you need something new to do with what you have rather than give it up. I find Ataris are easier to play with games, better joystick interface, simpler to use, faster to boot, and virus-free. At least I know when I write some instruction that it will take exactly what I predict it will take. I thought you were doing some project with porting over some game to Atari 8-bit?

#28 Fox-1 / mnx OFFLINE  

Fox-1 / mnx

Stargunner

• 1,188 posts
  • What is your Alternate Reality?

Posted Fri Apr 2, 2010 2:35 PM

Owning over 75 atari 8bit computers, and zillions of devices and other atari related stuff.

That's all? I don't see anything unusual there.

So please tell me everything good reason NOT to sell it, and why I should keep those atari 8bit computers humming!

Because you own me.

#29 bf2k+ OFFLINE  

bf2k+

Stargunner

• 1,616 posts

Posted Fri Apr 2, 2010 2:53 PM

I sold ALL my 8-bit stuff in 1987 (or thereabouts) and I still regret it to this day (I had some nice stuff). I certainly have much more 8-bit stuff today than I did back then but I don't have my Amdek 3" drive anymore or my original MIO's. I do still have the first Indus GT I bought new back in 84 or so. My $.02

#30 rdea6 OFFLINE  

rdea6

Stargunner

• 1,671 posts

Posted Fri Apr 2, 2010 5:00 PM

Software and hardware are just now comming into its prime for the Atari... Older games are great, but some of the new stuff is so dynamic. New video new drive periferial... All kinds of fun things to do in the comming years and those 75 extra Atari's is just like a spare parts bin if and when you need another PIA GTIA POKEY OSROM BASIC ROM MMU you have them in storage..,

But diffently keep several out for daily, weekly, or monthly use...

Keep it up and don't let us Atarians down. I would even send in a team of chearleaders for you, if you were in the USA..

Posted Image

#31 MrFish OFFLINE  

MrFish

River Patroller

• 2,297 posts
  • Serious Computerist

Posted Fri Apr 2, 2010 7:07 PM

75? Pfffttt!!!

Bob

OK, how many Bob?

#32 Mr.Amiga500 OFFLINE  

Mr.Amiga500

Moonsweeper

• 456 posts

Posted Fri Apr 2, 2010 8:22 PM

Having the Atari makes you feel good! Even on days when I don't turn it on, it's comforting to gaze over to the A8 setup and I am instantly taken back to a simpler time.

I agree with that. Even when I don't feel like turning on my Ataris (or other old computers), I still like to look at them. Occasionally, I just press the keys and try to remember the feeling of mystery that computers had back in the late 70's/early 80's. That makes me happy. Why would I want to get rid of something that makes me happy? Who cares that it's obsolete and doesn't do anything very useful. Making me happy is its main function.

#33 atariksi OFFLINE  

atariksi

Quadrunner

• 5,337 posts

Posted Sat Apr 3, 2010 4:01 AM

Having the Atari makes you feel good! Even on days when I don't turn it on, it's comforting to gaze over to the A8 setup and I am instantly taken back to a simpler time.

I agree with that. Even when I don't feel like turning on my Ataris (or other old computers), I still like to look at them. Occasionally, I just press the keys and try to remember the feeling of mystery that computers had back in the late 70's/early 80's. That makes me happy. Why would I want to get rid of something that makes me happy? Who cares that it's obsolete and doesn't do anything very useful. Making me happy is its main function.

I guess it's usefulness is in the hands of the beholder.

I would qualify "pleasing to look at" with a condition if they aren't rusted and yellowed. There's also the option of having them hidden and working where only monitor is visible.

#34 accousticguitar OFFLINE  

accousticguitar

Quadrunner

• 5,799 posts
  • Sherlock made it to 15 before he left us.

Posted Sat Apr 3, 2010 9:58 AM

I say buy more!

#35 potatohead OFFLINE  

potatohead

River Patroller

• 4,203 posts

Posted Sat Apr 3, 2010 10:03 AM

I'm with wood_jl. It's nice to have it around, like comfort food. :)

You have to ask yourself, is it the amount of stuff you have, or the kind of stuff you have that drives you. If it's the kind of stuff, you can be happy on a much smaller collection! (Your wife would likely be more happy too.)

Selling it off could be a blast, and there are lots of people wanting older gear to sell too. Take the money, and either do something fun, or use it to start up another classic era collection to compliment your Atari one, just keeping it smaller.

...oh, and this is a WONDERFUL problem to have. Enjoy resolving it.

#36 bob1200xl OFFLINE  

bob1200xl

River Patroller

• 2,042 posts

Posted Sat Apr 3, 2010 10:45 AM

It isn't quantity that matters - it's the place they hold in your life and the contribution they make to your current Celestial Plane...

Anyone who knows how many they have doesn't have very many.

Bob

75? Pfffttt!!!

Bob

OK, how many Bob?

#37 wood_jl OFFLINE  

wood_jl

Quadrunner

• 6,348 posts

Posted Sat Apr 3, 2010 10:53 AM

Selling it off could be a blast, and there are lots of people wanting older gear to sell too. Take the money, and either do something fun, or use it to start up another classic era collection to compliment your Atari one, just keeping it smaller.

This is exactly what I did, rather than pile a bunch more A8s. (Well, I have 7 A8s so a small pile)

I know this will draw ire from "loyal Atari fanboys" but I've really had fun gathering the Commodore 64 over the last year. It's part of the same scene as the A8 - that I never knew about. Not knowing crap and then learning little bits about it has been kind of fun. I'm certainly not going to pile up the stuff like I have for A8, but I do suggest paring down the A8 collection *some* and playing with some other retro computers. It's not only fun to to "see how the other half lived," it has actually taught me how biased and closed-minded I was; I have a greater appreciation for all the oldies now - my TI/994A is on the way right now!!!

#38 atariksi OFFLINE  

atariksi

Quadrunner

• 5,337 posts

Posted Sat Apr 3, 2010 11:17 AM

This is exactly what I did, rather than pile a bunch more A8s. (Well, I have 7 A8s so a small pile)

I know this will draw ire from "loyal Atari fanboys" but I've really had fun gathering the Commodore 64 over the last year. It's part of the same scene as the A8 - that I never knew about. Not knowing crap and then learning little bits about it has been kind of fun. I'm certainly not going to pile up the stuff like I have for A8, but I do suggest paring down the A8 collection *some* and playing with some other retro computers. It's not only fun to to "see how the other half lived," it has actually taught me how biased and closed-minded I was; I have a greater appreciation for all the oldies now - my TI/994A is on the way right now!!!

His original question was "Why he should continue his *ATARI* hobby?" so you seem to be taking him off course or not answering specifically. Some people love what they have and just need reasons to go on.

#39 potatohead OFFLINE  

potatohead

River Patroller

• 4,203 posts

Posted Sat Apr 3, 2010 11:42 AM

You got a TI?? Sweet!

I had a full setup at one point. Scored it all for about $20, because it was a TANK!! I think TI computers are pretty interesting, and deffo have not seen enough love. Lots of great things to be done on those computers, IMHO.

The 8bit era is just beautiful. I had collected a lot of machines and stuff in the early 90's. That was a sweet time! I had an Apple ][, well equipped too. Disk, 80 column, mockingboard, etc... TI, CoCo 3, Atari, C64, VCS, Genny, along with an old crappy PC, that could barely get on the net.

For a few years, it was great and I spent time with the machines, doing stuff. Somebody talked me into letting it all go, and the kids needed the room, so I basically did, but for my core Atari stuff. I regret that big. Still do.

The upside, was I did move to some high end stuff, scoring SGI IRIX computers sometime around 2000. (they run MAME very well, and I built Xmame for a few of them) Those were (and are) as fun as the 8bitters were, because they had lots of cool engineering, custom hardware, and great input devices.

On a forced move, that all got purged, and my Atari stuff was stolen, but for a few nice things that were moved early.

So, now I've come back and the kids are slowly leaving, and it's harder to get some things, but still possible. In fact, I think it's a good time again, because some of the other machines are seeing good things happen now. TI and CoCo 3 are two machines I am very much wanting to see exploited, like the popular ones have been.

Deffo scale down the stuff, and if you've any interest at all, stock up on some cool hardware and set up a bunker. That's what I'm gonna do here over the next few years, because once again, I'll have the room to do it!

For me, a nice room, with an arcade cabinet, work bench with the electronics gear, scope, solder, components, etc... for working with the micros and fixing things, a few retro stations, etc... would be damn cool. No SGI computers this time though. Done with those. Really like them, but I'm wanting to stay smaller scale.

So that's kind of an expression as to why to continue the Atari hobby. Do it, but maybe expand some to capture the era, and frankly, better appreciate the Atari!

If you get to run a TI, CoCo 3, C= 64, Apple, with some cool interface hardware so as to avoid the real, and aging media, I think you will seriously continue to appreciate Atari computers. When in good company, Ataris are often more fun.

Edit: Just saw the post above.

I don't think it's off course at all. I can honestly say that Atari machines are the core of my retro hobby leanings. I'll never give them up, nor the VCS. If those machines didn't exist, I might not be doing much retro at all.

But, that whole era rocked, and running other retro gear is totally a part of appreciating how nicely done Atari machines were. Same goes for building retro stuff. I find it very interesting to note that when things are built Atari style, others appreciate them. Go check out Prop projects sometime, and you will find that "Atari" look on a lot of them, and a big part of that is me, looking at my Atari machines, and coding up some text, and graphics that do things the Atari way. Others liked it!! I grin when I see a CP/M implementation running, with an Atari 8 bit font, on TV @ 80 columns... (And that font kicks on TV at that character density, and was part of Atari engineering at the time, taking into account artifacts and TV limits, where other machines simply used data intended for monitors and such...) Doing that also introduced me to other Atarians, who aren't into gaming. Glad I met them, and one of them slipped an 800 XL my way, to replace the one lost earlier. Damn cool. That's really my current Atari story. I'm currently not gaming on them much, but doing tech stuff and appreciating how the machines did things. I've met those other Atarians, and we all wear the badge with pride, grinning at the others, who may have done Speccy, C=, etc...

So then, it comes down to what the goal is. If it's sheer quantity of Atari stuff, keep it, because it's hard to get that much stuff these days. Probably, not all of that is needed. Enough people like Ataris that getting one that works will continue to be possible for quite some time yet. We will have built new ones before the old ones come to an end. That's my opinion.

If it's just having a lot of Atari stuff to play / work with, then consider selling some off, and get new, different Atari stuff, or expand to ST, etc... IMHO, that's a serious option for the OP to consider at this juncture. Deffo think on that one. There is lots of additional Atari stuff to be had, selling off a nice chunk of the spare gear, and others will snap it up, eager to start their own "bunker". That's all Atari still. With all that spare gear, a sell off could net the SIO to modern interface, monitors, ST, and lots of goodies.

If it's enjoying that retro Atari experience, mixing in some of the other machines will seriously enhance that. Ataris stand tall among the common retro machines. It's hard to really appreciate that without checking out some of the other machines. That's more retro, and the Ataris will stand up just fine. Once an Atarian, always one. :) The coolness isn't going away at all. Trust me on that one. Ataris rock, it's that simple.

The OP wanted some food for thought. What better food than others retro hobby experiences, motivations, etc...? There is no threat here. Either he grooves on the Atari stuff, or doesn't, and will either be inspired, or not by others sharing, and that's just the sum of it right there.

Edited by potatohead, Sat Apr 3, 2010 12:01 PM.

#40 Tickled_Pink ONLINE  

Tickled_Pink

Quadrunner

• 5,058 posts

Posted Sat Apr 3, 2010 12:00 PM

Well, if you do decide to sell some of the stuff, make sure you do it one at a time and not list them all at once on eBay. It'll be like the price of oil dropping whenever the Arabs decide to produce more barrels of the stuff.  ;)

Personally I haven't got anywhere near enough A8 stuff. I need more ... MORE!!!

Edited by Tickled_Pink, Sat Apr 3, 2010 12:01 PM.

#41 potatohead OFFLINE  

potatohead

River Patroller

• 4,203 posts

Posted Sat Apr 3, 2010 12:05 PM

That's funny!

Hey, there is one more option here that might appeal, and that's doing kind of a giveaway. Instead of selling it off bit by bit, work to meet some other people that have retro leanings, and set them up!! That way, you've got buddies to share the experience with! Seriously, that's worth doing, because the best retro experiences are with other people. With all that gear, it's easy to set a few people up, and have them enter retro with a nice start. :)

Edit: About those SGI machines. I got burned out. You don't want that to happen. I pretty much won't ever collect, or use them again, because I just got fried. That's part of mixing it up that I didn't mention above. Having some stuff to do, explore, compare, share, etc... keeps it kind of fresh, and that's worth it.

Edited by potatohead, Sat Apr 3, 2010 12:09 PM.

#42 ApolloBoy OFFLINE  

ApolloBoy

Quadrunner

• 5,338 posts

Posted Sat Apr 3, 2010 12:06 PM

I kinda went through something like this, but on a much, much smaller scale. I had a 400, 800, 1200XL and an XEGS at one point, but then they started to take up so much space that it was getting to be ridiculous. I gave my 400 to my brother, and just recently I sold/traded the latter three and got an upgraded 800XL out of it. I'd like to get another 800 again just for games that aren't compatible with the 800XL, but I'm good for now I think.

So what I'd suggest is just keep the most versatile of your 8-bits, any fun carts, and a SIO2PC adapter.

#43 Larry OFFLINE  

Larry

River Patroller

• 2,578 posts

Posted Sat Apr 3, 2010 12:53 PM

Except for the most die-hard Atari fanatics, I think everyone who has a large collection muses on this subject occasionally. But that doesn't mean abstinence -- just cut back. I'm right in the midst of doing the same thing. I'm not quite to your numbers, but close enough to identify with what you say. So I got rid of my ST stuff a couple of years ago. This year, the Apple II stuff is going. Maybe the C64/128 stuff (still thinking about that). I'm even going to cut back a bit on the A8 stuff that I know I'll never need/use.

I'll bet your wife would love you even more if you trim back a bit. :lust: ;)

#44 wood_jl OFFLINE  

wood_jl

Quadrunner

• 6,348 posts

Posted Sat Apr 3, 2010 1:38 PM

His original question was "Why he should continue his *ATARI* hobby?" so you seem to be taking him off course or not answering specifically. Some people love what they have and just need reasons to go on.

This is exactly the kind of "ire" I was predicting. If he loved what he had, why even post this? Obviously one of the reasons we acquire spares is in case of malfunction or destruction in modding. Once you get past a certain point, there is very little utility in additional units. If an enthusiast keeps buying additional units, perhaps they are seeking additional experience that they're not going to get with merely additional units of the same type. I could just have well suggested he try Atari ST, and if I did I'd suspect equal disapproval from you. In light of your participation in this thread, I should have suggested Amiga because it meets with your approval. At any rate, if one keeps buying systems it seems reasonable that they are seeking additional experiences, and they're not going to get that with A8 number 76 in the collection, as they would with another similar/competing unit.

My point is that perhaps it should not be an *ATARI* hobby entirely because OBVIOUSLY that isnt "doing it for him" and he's gotten bored with it. If he hadn't, he would not have posted the original message, would he? My suggestion is to pare down the A8 collection (NOT QUIT AS HE WAS ASKING) and use the money and space to try some of the others, thereby maintaining the hobby, keeping Ataris, and turning it into a "retro computer hobby" for which he may find additional interest (which he needs), as I have through my personal experience. I know that does not sit well with highly opinionated people who see the world through a false dichotomy in which *their* choices are the only correct ones. For that, I apologize.

#45 atariksi OFFLINE  

atariksi

Quadrunner

• 5,337 posts

Posted Sat Apr 3, 2010 1:59 PM

[quote name='wood_jl' date='Sat Apr 3, 2010 2:38 PM' timestamp='1270323491' post='1980077']
[quote name='atariksi' date='Sat Apr 3, 2010 11:17 AM' timestamp='1270315077' post='1979967']
[quote name='wood_jl' date='Sat Apr 3, 2010 11:53 AM' timestamp='1270313595' post='1979943']
[quote name='potatohead' date='Sat Apr 3, 2010 10:03 AM' timestamp='1270310603' post='1979913']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

This is exactly the kind of "ire" I was predicting. If he loved what he had, why even post this?
[/quote]
Love isn't the only reason for keeping things. Some people get pressured by society and opinionated people such as yourself to change despite what they love. I was simply sticking to his question not speculating or in "ire" of what he or you may or may not like.

[quote]
Obviously one of the reasons we acquire spares is in case of malfunction or destruction in modding. Once you get past a certain point, there is very little utility in additional units. If an enthusiast keeps buying additional units, perhaps they are seeking additional experience that they're not going to get with merely additional units of the same type. I could just have well suggested he try Atari ST, and if I did I'd suspect equal disapproval from you. In light of your participation in this thread, I should have suggested Amiga because it meets with your approval...
[/quote]
You are speculating. I would have suggested Amiga or other machines as well if he didn't explicitly state to keep his Atari hobby.

[quote]
At any rate, if one keeps buying systems it seems reasonable that they are seeking additional experiences, and they're not going to get that with A8 number 76 in the collection, as they would with another similar/competing unit.
[/quote]
That's not true either. You can do new things with the same computer as well and get new experiences. Some people only have used PCs all their life so should they also seek new experiences by buying C64s and Atari 8-bits? Computers are flexible devices useable for many things and I doubt anyone has exhausted all their options with their computers including you.

[quote]
My point is that perhaps it should not be an *ATARI* hobby entirely because OBVIOUSLY that isnt "doing it for him" and he's gotten bored with it.
[quote]
That's you big mistake. And it's not obvious whether it's Atari hobby or what he's using the Atari for or what other pressures are affecting him. You are speculating because you want to impose what you like doing on him despite his explicitly stating his question in reference to Atari.

[quote]
If he hadn't, he would not have posted the original message, would he? My suggestion is to pare down the A8 collection (NOT QUIT AS HE WAS ASKING) and use the money and space to try some of the others, thereby maintaining the hobby, keeping Ataris, and turning it into a "retro computer hobby" for which he may find additional interest (which he needs), as I have through my personal experience. I know that does not sit well with highly opinionated people who see the world through a false dichotomy in which *their* choices are the only correct ones. For that, I apologize.
[/quote]

You're the one making false dichotomies and speculating beyond what he asked for. If someone wants to continue his ATARI hobby, it doesn't help to tell him to try some other system. QED. It's logic not opinion.

#46 MEtalGuy66 OFFLINE  

MEtalGuy66

River Patroller

• 2,602 posts
  • If it aint broke, fix it anyway!

Posted Sat Apr 3, 2010 2:04 PM

Oh god.. Can you two idealists please take it to PM..

#47 atariksi OFFLINE  

atariksi

Quadrunner

• 5,337 posts

Posted Sat Apr 3, 2010 2:07 PM

Except for the most die-hard Atari fanatics, I think everyone who has a large collection muses on this subject occasionally. But that doesn't mean abstinence -- just cut back. I'm right in the midst of doing the same thing. I'm not quite to your numbers, but close enough to identify with what you say. So I got rid of my ST stuff a couple of years ago. This year, the Apple II stuff is going. Maybe the C64/128 stuff (still thinking about that). I'm even going to cut back a bit on the A8 stuff that I know I'll never need/use.

I'll bet your wife would love you even more if you trim back a bit. :lust: ;)

It depends on the type of wife. Some wives are a bit more shrewd and aggressive and will toss out the stuff you use and love without any notification.

#48 atariksi OFFLINE  

atariksi

Quadrunner

• 5,337 posts

Posted Sat Apr 3, 2010 2:08 PM

He's the one trying to make it seem like it's some "retro" hobby for me. I actually deal with all my computers as "computers" not retro or new or whatever. If it has some use, I'm keeping it. I'm not going around looking for new experiences either otherwise perhaps I'll be trying drugs and liquor as well just to get the new experience. I have a better approach, understand the specification of something and know from that what it can do and whether you even need to waste your time with other so-called "experiences".

#49 ProWizard OFFLINE  

ProWizard

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 3,346 posts
  • MyIDE 2 Conversions in Progress!

Posted Sat Apr 3, 2010 2:25 PM

Haha, I must say: some replies do create a smile on my face. Especially the ones where 'the wife' gets involved.

I have married a fabulous wife, and she answers like some of you too here. She said: it's 100% up to you, but remember that you always had lots of fun with the atari computers. She advised: just store all the boxes and concentrate on other nice things. There will be a time you want to play again with the atari stuff.

And she does not want me to get rid of it for another reason too: she really like to destroy me on "Dynakillers" haha... so another good reason for keeping all this.

The main reason for this topic is indeed, that i want to be encouraged by cool stories of other atari lovers. I always had a great time with atari 8bit, and I am a bit 'sad' that I don't have this great feeling anymore. So my idea: when I read nice reasons why I should keep the atari 8bit hobby alive, I might get that great atari feeling back.

Perhaps it has nothing to do with the atari at all. Perhaps It's just the fact that I'm getting older, and that other "important" things are taking time. When I was between 12 and 22 I was used to spend almost 24 hours a day with my atari. I was (am?) a real geek haha. It was a great time, and perhaps my biggest 'issue' is that for some reason I want that era back. But that is not going to happen.

So the Atari needs another place in my life. Anymore advice?

I hope my 1.5 year old daughter will like the atari too... so one day we could play atari games against each other :D ... but now she is a bit young for that.

Greetz
M.

#50 wood_jl OFFLINE  

wood_jl

Quadrunner

• 6,348 posts

Posted Sat Apr 3, 2010 2:27 PM

Actually, I'd rather not, because there'd be no point in the argument, just as I now realize there is no point in arguing here. I was merely replying to the original poster, and made some suggestions (not impositions - lol), and was criticized just like I predicted. If the original poster wanted to criticize my suggestions, I'd be fine with it because they were directed at him. My mistake was in replying at all to the attacker, to whom NONE of my original posting was directed, yet who (as usual) felt some compelling reason to criticize my suggestion (once again, as predicted). It's obvious that my points were directed to the original poster, and the arguement was started by he who (once again, as usual) wants to pointlessly take issue with me, rather than contribute to the original poster's query, as I did. For not ignoring it, I apologize.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users