IGNORED

Why should I continue my Atari hobby?

Marius

Ah yes... and the reasons why I have so many atari's are these:

* When I started to 'improve' my atari's with Memory upgrades, and replacement GTIA chips (in the east european XE computers) I have made many mistakes in the beginning. Lots of atari's died. And that made me a bit 'nervous' indeed... so I started to collect and collect an collect and collect... I simply did not stop that, even when I learned to use a solder-iron very well... so when no atari died anymore, I still kept buying... so the 'store' grew...

* I was really "in love" with my atari 8bit computer, and I wanted to stay in that nice part of my life (described in the post above this one)... All these atari's were some kind of INSURANCE of this feeling.... for the rest of my life I would have enough atari 8bit equipment was the idea...

When you read this, it sounds a bit 'sad' perhaps... but there are a lot more stupid things people can do. And... when I show you the pictures of all this, I bet you think: WOW I WANT THAT TOO!!!!

Hehe...

Greetz

Marius

• Like 1

Oh god.. Can you two idealists please take it to PM..

Actually, I'd rather not, because there'd be no point in the argument, just as I now realize there is no point in arguing here. I was merely replying to the original poster, and made some suggestions (not impositions - lol), and was criticized just like I predicted. If the original poster wanted to criticize my suggestions, I'd be fine with it because they were directed at him. My mistake was in replying at all to the attacker, to whom NONE of my original posting was directed, yet who (as usual) felt some compelling reason to criticize my suggestion (once again, as predicted). It's obvious that my points were directed to the original poster, and the arguement was started by he who (once again, as usual) wants to pointlessly take issue with me, rather than contribute to the original poster's query, as I did. For not ignoring it, I apologize.

You replied directly to my reply so I have to assume you were accusing me (falsely) of dichotomies or whatever. I am not attacking but defending against what you wrote against me.

Oh and PLEASE some people, do me a favor..., and do not start flaming AGAIN in one of 'my' started threads.

If there would be ONE reason to quit al that atari-scene-happening-stuff than it would be the flamewars some people seem to like here.

If have read a lot of cool responses here by the way. I'm not going to sell anything. I'll store it nicely. And I will setup one system. Just for fun!

thanks for your help!

Marius

• Like 1

Haha, I must say: some replies do create a smile on my face. Especially the ones where 'the wife' gets involved.

I have married a fabulous wife, and she answers like some of you too here. She said: it's 100% up to you, but remember that you always had lots of fun with the atari computers. She advised: just store all the boxes and concentrate on other nice things. There will be a time you want to play again with the atari stuff.

And she does not want me to get rid of it for another reason too: she really like to destroy me on "Dynakillers" haha... so another good reason for keeping all this.

The main reason for this topic is indeed, that i want to be encouraged by cool stories of other atari lovers. I always had a great time with atari 8bit, and I am a bit 'sad' that I don't have this great feeling anymore. So my idea: when I read nice reasons why I should keep the atari 8bit hobby alive, I might get that great atari feeling back.

Perhaps it has nothing to do with the atari at all. Perhaps It's just the fact that I'm getting older, and that other "important" things are taking time. When I was between 12 and 22 I was used to spend almost 24 hours a day with my atari. I was (am?) a real geek haha. It was a great time, and perhaps my biggest 'issue' is that for some reason I want that era back. But that is not going to happen.

So the Atari needs another place in my life. Anymore advice?

I hope my 1.5 year old daughter will like the atari too... so one day we could play atari games against each other :D ... but now she is a bit young for that.

Greetz

M.

I also got my daughter using Atari 800XL by herself but with cartridges only as she's too small (6 years) for using disks. She once put wrote on the exposed part of the disk. She actually also has Playstation but likes the Atari games for some reason--- maybe there are too many buttons on the Playstation joystick or CDs take too long to load (or sometimes don't load). Are you only using for games?

• Like 1

Oh and PLEASE some people, do me a favor..., and do not start flaming AGAIN in one of 'my' started threads.

acknowledged!

If there would be ONE reason to quit al that atari-scene-happening-stuff than it would be the flamewars some people seem to like here.

Don't let that dissuade you from Atari, however. As long as there are users vehemently foaming at the mouth to argue (i.e. as long as there is an internet), there will be flamewars. Best to ignore them, do not participate (I'm still learning here), and roll the mouse wheel.

If have read a lot of cool responses here by the way. I'm not going to sell anything. I'll store it nicely. And I will setup one system. Just for fun!

I think you'd be missed around here if you were gone. But that doesn't mean you need to store everything. You should store everything EXCEPT my PAL 320k 130XE that you've been so kind to hold for me.....until now. How much to ship to Yankee?

• Like 1

A lot of us have multiples of the computers and consoles we collect for, as insurance against the ravages of time (and errant soldering tools). But how many of us store our dupes off-site? I don't. In a flood, fire, or other disaster, I'd lose it all.

Hmm.

• Like 1

@Marius1976

"And she does not want me to get rid of it for another reason too: she really like to destroy me on "Dynakillers" haha... so another good reason for keeping all this."

Sounds like you have a soul mate. There are few things in this world that equal that. I've one too, and she will put up with a lot of retro, and do modern gaming with me, and in fact pulls me to some games. :) (I'm happy.)

You say you compose music... Well? That seems to me like a budding start for "that other place". Since you have so much gear, I wonder what kind of music can be done with several of the machines working in tandem??? Or, coupling Atari music, with other music, or sounds from other retro beasties?

Deffo set one up. I've got my 800XL, on the computer desk, and it's great to have there, and I do use it regularly for some goofy BASIC thing that I want to just type in, and the display for it is shared with my other retro / micro toys, with a nice scope soon to be located there, just for poking around, and learning.

My favorite Atari to just have out, perhaps with "Star Raiders" at the ready, for some random conversation, is the 400. It just looks cool, and still looks fun, and people will pick it up, funk around with the keyboard, and tell stories they remember. Met an Atarian or two that way, and I would never have guessed, but for watching them enter the office, and go right to it! That has led to the "let's call the wife and stay late" game and or BS session or two.

I find when I get into a retro funk, which usually happens to me when work / life gets ugly, sharing the stuff really helps. When others pick up on it, there is an energy to that, I find gets me doing things again.

Edit: I just reread this thing, handing out some rep, just because...

I didn't catch you have a young daughter. Keep this stuff, for that reason only. I'm serious!!

My kids are all late teens now, but they will play some Atari when given the chance. The first year I did this was near Christmas time. They were, of course, just nuts about the stuff under the tree, and I needed a distraction. So, I grabbed the VCS, and the 400, put out about 200 carts, controllers, and such, and let them have at it!

We had a blast!! Gamed, talked, and just enjoyed the stuff until way late. (I basically didn't sleep, because they were up so late on that stuff, that "Santa" had to get it done in the hour or two they managed to sleep!)

Over the years, that's become a semi-regular thing, and it's been fun. Most recently, my youngest son was gaming on PS3 with his friend, and they were kind of bored. Out came a Harmony proto, looking kind of techy, with the hand written label and PCB, with SD card sticking out of it. Funny, I had some carts laying around too, but they went right for that.

When they found out what it did, they spent an hour or two checking out games from the menu, asking how to play, and it was pretty great. For them, the old games are really something different, and it's worth having some stuff around to show that.

One other thing that sticks with me was my older daughter playing KABOOM! I love this game. It's on my all time, gotta have it around to play, list. Call it an anchor. No KABOOM, no happy Potatohead, no happy retro hobby. It's that simple.

So, they are playing this thing, and I think she was about 14 at the time. I picked up the paddle, and knocked out 10K or so, and you know how it is... that game pushes a human, right to the limit, and if you can hit that limit, you get the zone, the trance, and all is golden for 10 minutes or so.

I still cop a buzz doing that.

Anyway, she watched this and was amazed. Nothing they played ever did that, and so she asked. I shared the idea of the trance and how to get in the zone, and left it at that.

One hour later, I hear it in the side room! She got it! Was going for gold, and punched well above my rusty score. After a session or two, she came into the kitchen and announced that game changed her in some small way, and that it's addictive.

That was cool, and she's off in school now with her boyfriend, who kind of likes this stuff. I'm sending a VCS, really great paddles, a KABOOM, Space Invaders, WARLORDS (because I won't part with my Medieval Mayhem cart), and a few others for Xmas this year. She has not played in a while, but I know the hook was set. That will get opened, and played. I know it 100 percent.

Kids and retro is very cool. You have good times coming your way, so you gotta keep the stuff, it's that simple. Maybe not keep all of it, but deffo keep a good stash.

Edited by potatohead

What?

Only once... they're still making wives.

Bob

Except for the most die-hard Atari fanatics, I think everyone who has a large collection muses on this subject occasionally. But that doesn't mean abstinence -- just cut back. I'm right in the midst of doing the same thing. I'm not quite to your numbers, but close enough to identify with what you say. So I got rid of my ST stuff a couple of years ago. This year, the Apple II stuff is going. Maybe the C64/128 stuff (still thinking about that). I'm even going to cut back a bit on the A8 stuff that I know I'll never need/use.

I'll bet your wife would love you even more if you trim back a bit. :lust: ;)

It depends on the type of wife. Some wives are a bit more shrewd and aggressive and will toss out the stuff you use and love without any notification.

You don't have a safe?

Tell the Better Half that you need one to protect your marriage license and the kid's birth certificates. And, the really big ones are the only ones that really work well, and, they're on sale...

Bob

A lot of us have multiples of the computers and consoles we collect for, as insurance against the ravages of time (and errant soldering tools). But how many of us store our dupes off-site? I don't. In a flood, fire, or other disaster, I'd lose it all.

Hmm.

You don't have a safe?

Tell the Better Half that you need one to protect your marriage license and the kid's birth certificates. And, the really big ones are the only ones that really work well, and, they're on sale...

Bob

Sure. And then she'd put me in there. Strictly for my own safety, you know. :D

What?

Bob

Except for the most die-hard Atari fanatics, I think everyone who has a large collection muses on this subject occasionally. But that doesn't mean abstinence -- just cut back. I'm right in the midst of doing the same thing. I'm not quite to your numbers, but close enough to identify with what you say. So I got rid of my ST stuff a couple of years ago. This year, the Apple II stuff is going. Maybe the C64/128 stuff (still thinking about that). I'm even going to cut back a bit on the A8 stuff that I know I'll never need/use.

It depends on the type of wife. Some wives are a bit more shrewd and aggressive and will toss out the stuff you use and love without any notification.

There are no returns on wives; i.e., no RMA # so gotta live with what you have. Or did you mean something else?

The "Disolution of Marriage' filings in all 50 States (and territories) have a box down at the bottom of the form that you check - 'Messed with my Atari Stuff'.

A slam-dunk...

Bob

What?

Bob

There are no returns on wives; i.e., no RMA # so gotta live with what you have. Or did you mean something else?

Well...

Here are just a FEW pictures of all the mess.

The last pic does only show moving-boxes... but that are the boxes with the 'zillions' devices and the rest of the 75 atari's I spoke about. When I am unboxing all this stuff I'll take more pictures, to show you all :D :D :D

In The plastic-bags on picture one there are brandnew xe computers from which i did not have a box anymore. In the white Apple laptop box I have another brandnew atari 800xl without box...

All the original boxed items are mint or near mint...

Now I see it all back again I'm starting to feel that atari fever again already... I can't wait to be moved and installed with my atari's again :D

Marius

• Like 1

The "Disolution of Marriage' filings in all 50 States (and territories) have a box down at the bottom of the form that you check - 'Messed with my Atari Stuff'.

A slam-dunk...

Bob

I would prefer the better approach of convincing people of the factual merits of the Atari machines.

I hope to die in a room like that. You know, how the ancient kings had their tombs filled with stuff "to use in the next life."

Indeed, MORE PICS PLEASE.

Don't forget my 320XE we've been discussing.

Although none of us have enough hands to use that many computers at once, a collection like that would give me a great feeling of security (i.e. spares). I have six 8-bits and sometimes it was hard to justify this to my wife until I started describing them as "investments". £20 spent buying old junk you already have is difficult to explain. However, £20 on the priceless antique of tomorrow seems like a shrewd purchase. :)

Anyway, via various subliminal brain-washing techniques the computer room I always wanted is also the room we sleep in. No RMA required here, then! :D

Well...

The last pic does only show moving-boxes... but that are the boxes with the 'zillions' devices and the rest of the 75 atari's I spoke about. When I am unboxing all this stuff I'll take more pictures, to show you all :D :D :D

In The plastic-bags on picture one there are brandnew xe computers from which i did not have a box anymore. In the white Apple laptop box I have another brandnew atari 800xl without box...

All the original boxed items are mint or near mint...

Now I see it all back again I'm starting to feel that atari fever again already... I can't wait to be moved and installed with my atari's again :D

Marius

Hey, I only spotted two yellowed units-- others look to be in good condition (from what I can see). Besides backup purposes, I suppose there are uses for having all the models for various software or for testing. Or even for same models, you could write some distributive program or network them. I have a breadboard hooked up to one Atari 800 so I have a bunch of digital lines to control various things on the breadboard. I screwed up one line as I hooked up a 120VAC line to try to control a light bulb (before I learned about reed's relay).

Remember: The usability is in the hands of the beholder.

I have six 8-bits and sometimes it was hard to justify this to my wife until I started describing them as "investments". £20 spent buying old junk you already have is difficult to explain. However, £20 on the priceless antique of tomorrow seems like a shrewd purchase. :)

Ha! Yeah, I tried that line of reasoning with my wife. I said, "...but I could easily get double what I paid for these computers." She said, "the problem is you would never ever sell them." I have to admit she's right. ;)

I also like to show original prices of the computers when convincing my wife it's a good deal. I say, "but look how much it originally cost!" (showing her a 1983 Byte Magazine advertisement) "I'd be paying less than one twentieth that price!" And when I bring a really ugly free 80's computer home, I say, "but this cost over $4000 when it was new - and I got it FREE!" (...doesn't work with Atari though because original price was too damn low to use this trick)

Just to add my perspective to this topic.

I think, you probably have too many Atari's to use BUT you probably have the right amount for spares. Like others, I've about 7 here, picked up as "junk" from flea-bay or whatever but I could never let them go.

As potatohead said, it's really when the kid(s) start to show interest in the computers, you can see the value. It's not just the computers themselves but the fact they have some interest in something that was a significant part of your hobby life. I assume (maybe incorrect) that your year of birth is 1976, as such Atari 8-bit were around for most of you formative years (as it was mine, 1975). Letting them go now, is like letting a little bit of your personal history go. My eldest, 4, asks about the Atari's and I just tell him that these were the computers that I played with. He's fascinated. It's ok to keep them.

I must be lucky with my wife, she has absolutely no problem with me buy A8 stuff, simply because its so cheap. I mean you can get an 800XL from e-bay for €20. Couple this with a SIO2USB from AtariMax and you are off. This is a cheap hobby. Jeez, my car cost €70 / week to fill.

Keep your hobby, keep your personal history, once it's gone, it's near impossible to get it all back.

I hope to die in a room like that. You know, how the ancient kings had their tombs filled with stuff "to use in the next life."

I did some research on that. There's quite a few philosophies/religions that subscribe to that idea of your thoughts/surroundings/current activities determining your situation in your next life. One difference is the Egyptians seem to think the physical body or items are revived whereas other ideas are based on some subtle body (or ghost within the body) that goes on. The living entity in the material world carries his different conceptions of life from one body to another as the air carries aromas. Another related idea is that whatever state you remember at the time of death, that state you attain without fail.