IGNORED

Lifespan?

Rik

After seeing all the different threads about AA members having problems with their consoles,is it just me,or is this the beginning of component failure after 30 years.Have the electronics started to reach their lifespans end?.I mean things all have a certain lifespan and will eventually fail.Things 30 years ago were built to last unlike today things that virtually fall apart when you unpack them.I thought to myself,how much longer till i experience failing chips,regulators,etc,in my consoles.It just seems folks are having more problems lately,coincidence,or is there a reason.Probably not so much with the games,like i said it seems more with the other components in our consoles that seem to have reached their what?...30 YEAR LIFESPAN.I never had picture problems with my 2600'S and my INTV'S.I am starting to have picture problems myself with several of my consoles all of a sudden,and that's after eliminating the obvious typical reasons,and my other consoles have crystal clear picture,how long till the others do the same? :?i really hate the thought of eventually having to use EMULATION to play my beloved games,emulation just isn't the same,better than nothing but,i just really rather play a real console ;)Sure we've always experienced little problems that could be easily fixed,it just seems like more harder to find or to actually replace components are starting to go at a faster rate.

Edited by Rik

I have wondered about the same thing sometimes.But more about how long the carts would last before they wouldn't work.

I really havent had any console problems yet.

Many of the diode mask array chips used in the early cartridges should be good for 100+ years. The most likey fail mechanism would be static, corrosion of the contacts, bad solder joints. Eliminating that, expect over 200 years.. The other chips should be equally long-lived due to their huge geometry! Now, capacitors and switches and plastic parts will wear out and degrade pretty fast comparatively speaking.

Newer flashrom chips only retain data for 20-30 years. So that is a problem.

Eventually emulation will be the only viable method for long-term preservation.

Edited by Keatah