IGNORED

Favorite Apple // Games?

I see a lot of familiar titles in this thread. But what about the lesser-known games, the weird ones, splurted out by some eccentric bedroom programmer and then forgotten?

Here are some of the ones I knew and loved. I've yet to find a single person besides myself that remembers them. I haven't seen them mentioned here - even in that long list that akator posted. And I'd bet that a lot of them were exclusive to the Apple II.

I remember each of those, heck, I have both the original and the pirated versions, still, in my treasure chest of apple II stuff. I liked flip-out and frenzy the best of those you listed.. Actually there are so many apple II games I like they're too numerous to list.

Retrogaming Roundup does their Top 10 Apple ][ games this month - fun listen.

It wasn't one of the titles they picked, but it did job my memory about a game I loved but completely forgot about: Star Fleet I. I played this SO much back in the day.

51CFD03fWOL._SL500_.jpg

http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/star-fleet-i-the-war-begins

Edited by BydoEmpire

• 1 year later...

Here's one that started out as shareware and is now free that is worth getting: http://webpages.milwpc.com/finkjc/silverncastle/ the author actually came up with the game because of Sir-Tech saying that a game like Wizardry couldn't be done in Applesoft basic. I'm currently playing through it on my Apple //c+. Fun game.

Dean

Sirius Software had 2 games, Phantoms Five and Gorgon, while introduced later in the market, 1980-1982, they were my first introduction to big-screen color gaming on the Apple 2 series. Phantoms Five had glorious multi-color buildings that scrolled. And the "3-D" part was a shocker when I first encountered it. Fantastic!

• 3 years later...

Not really a game but I used it as much as any game: Dazzle Draw

Games:

Gremlins

Hard Hat Mack

Arcade Boot Camp

Loderunner (creating your own screens was the shit)

Sammy Lightfoot

Conan Hall of Volta (always wished they made a sequel)

Bruce Lee

Montezuma's Revenge had to hook up to a TV to play so I could see the different color keys)

Cannonball Blitz

Stellar 7

Spare Change

Mario Bros.

so many. I had the CH Products Mach II joystick. I also got a mouse probably for Christmas 1985 when I got Dazzle Draw. Had no idea what it was. The person selling Dazzle Draw to my mom probably talked her into buying it.

• Like 1

My Top 3 on that good old Apple IIe would be:

Wings of Fury

Beyond Castle Wolfenstein

Rescue Raiders

There are tons of other games but those 3 are the ones I still play today. The only difference between now and back in the 80ies is that sadly the floppies are out of order but thanks to an USB interface card, I can still play them today.

I like:

Drol (Can you tell?)

Conan: Hall of Volta

Karateka

Prince of Persia

Rescue Raiders

Warp Factor

Airheart

Zork series

Space Quest series

King's Quest series

Ultima series

I could keep going for a long time, but nobody wants that... ;)

Depending on my mood, I seem to cycle through nearly 150-200 favorites. Could be more or less, never counted them.

And it's not always games either. Sometimes I like a good quiet evening of emulation on my laptop in the wife's drawing room. It is then I do experiments in graphics and just generally aimlessly programming something.

• 2 weeks later...

Sirius Software had 2 games, Phantoms Five and Gorgon, while introduced later in the market, 1980-1982, they were my first introduction to big-screen color gaming on the Apple 2 series. Phantoms Five had glorious multi-color buildings that scrolled. And the "3-D" part was a shocker when I first encountered it. Fantastic!

Sirius actually had several good games.

I can't remember all of them but in addition to Phantoms Five and Gorgon I remember Space Eggs being pretty good.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sirius_Software

I've mentioned favorite/best/distinctive Apple II games in the two retrogaming books I did, most of which were already discussed/mentioned here in this thread by others. With that said, one of my favorites that I relatively recently got to add boxed to my collection was "Shifty Sam." It's really nothing more than a word jumble game, but it's particularly well executed, with rather nice visuals.

• 4 weeks later...

yes I prefer the control of robot battle over the atari robotron,

I ran across it on a disk image for chop lifter, along with a couple other cracked ram games, and its one of my goto disks (when Im not booting from VSDRIVE)

• Like 1