Photo

Atari 8-bit Ethernet and Contiki - Want your help!

269 replies to this topic

#51 Stephen OFFLINE  

Stephen

Quadrunner

• 6,493 posts
  • A8 Gear Head

Posted Sat May 22, 2010 9:37 AM

All around good work! That cart prototyping board is awesome.

#52 rchennau OFFLINE  

rchennau

Chopper Commander

• 199 posts

Posted Mon Jul 5, 2010 5:37 PM

Instead of making a custom board why not use the Arduino with a Ethernet shield? Then I suppose you could hook up the Arduino to the Atari via SIO.

#53 EightBitWitch OFFLINE  

EightBitWitch

Star Raider

• 59 posts

Posted Mon Jul 5, 2010 11:49 PM

here is CS8900A-H for czech/slovak users :)
http://www.pvelectro...89]?ItemIdx=447

For german Users: http://www.embedded-...n=artikel&id=91

I think for Development we can use the Module by using a CartidgePort-Interface PCB. With the Module, we can change easy to a PBI-Interface in the future.
Can anyone produce a little edition of these CartidgePort-Interface PCBs incl. the 74LS138, ready to use with the CS9800-Module?

@rchennau:
A solution based on Arduino can be a nice thing, but more expensive. I be very lucky when i found A8-Extensions that are under 50€ to buy.
An µC-Driven Ethernet-Interface (with own Buffer-Memory) seems make possible to put some TCP/IP-Stack-Function to this external Device, like the Floppydisk-Station (e.g. 1050) and so make the A8-Driver more light.

Edited by EightBitWitch, Tue Jul 6, 2010 12:28 AM.

#54 EightBitWitch OFFLINE  

EightBitWitch

Star Raider

• 59 posts

Posted Tue Jul 6, 2010 2:20 AM

And here the CS8900A-CQZ for german users to buy:
http://de.farnell.co...p100/dp/1023456

#55 puppetmark OFFLINE  

puppetmark

Dragonstomper

• 710 posts

Posted Thu Jul 8, 2010 9:56 PM

Progress has been slow but I am happy to report the we now have a working prototype using the IP Dragon II board!!

DSCF1250.JPG

I will update the site with site with some more pictures and a schematic / info as soon as I can. After I get a few more hooked up and into the hands of some programmers, I will design a printed circuit board that can accept the IP DragonII boards.

atari8ethernet

Edited by puppetmark, Thu Jul 8, 2010 10:07 PM.

#56 w1k OFFLINE  

w1k

Stargunner

• 1,660 posts

Posted Fri Aug 6, 2010 10:45 AM

whats new on this project?

#57 puppetmark OFFLINE  

puppetmark

Dragonstomper

• 710 posts

Posted Mon Aug 9, 2010 6:12 PM

whats new on this project?

I just received a few more IP Dragon Boards today. We should have working prototypes to the programmers very soon. While they do there thing, I will design a finished board for the IP Dragon board. Also, I should have an updated schematic posted on the site in a few days.

#58 Defender II OFFLINE  

Defender II

Stargunner

• 1,150 posts

Posted Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:27 AM

Progress has been slow but I am happy to report the we now have a working prototype using the IP Dragon II board!!

DSCF1250.JPG

I will update the site with site with some more pictures and a schematic / info as soon as I can. After I get a few more hooked up and into the hands of some programmers, I will design a printed circuit board that can accept the IP DragonII boards.
Posted Image
atari8ethernet

Would it be possible for you to make your pcb layout using the IP Dragon II with the pins on the other side to reduce the configuration to fit more easily into a cart case? Posted ImageImage showing a customized connector layout
From their web page->http://www.invector.se/iet8900.asp

Edited by Defender II, Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:29 AM.

#59 puppetmark OFFLINE  

puppetmark

Dragonstomper

• 710 posts

Posted Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:57 AM

Would it be possible for you to make your pcb layout using the IP Dragon II with the pins on the other side to reduce the configuration to fit more easily into a cart case? Posted ImageImage showing a customized connector layout

Good thought. The IP dragon boards I just received came with the header pins unsoldered so it would certainly be possible to have the pins on top. I think that's what the developers of the apple ethernet cart did. Fitting it into an exsisting cart would be way cool.

Thanks for the input. suggestions are always welcome.

#60 danwinslow OFFLINE  

danwinslow

River Patroller

• 2,531 posts

Posted Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:57 AM

Good thought. The IP dragon boards I just received came with the header pins unsoldered so it would certainly be possible to have the pins on top. I think that's what the developers of the apple ethernet cart did. Fitting it into an exsisting cart would be way cool.

Ack, sorry I did not realize they'd come unsoldered. I'll make sure that Pontus knows we need the ready-to-go version next time.

#61 puppetmark OFFLINE  

puppetmark

Dragonstomper

• 710 posts

Posted Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:32 PM

Ack, sorry I did not realize they'd come unsoldered. I'll make sure that Pontus knows we need the ready-to-go version next time.

No prob. Actually It will be good to have that flexability till I know which way is best for the finished board design.

#62 Defender II OFFLINE  

Defender II

Stargunner

• 1,150 posts

Posted Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:40 PM

No problem, I like to help out whenever I can.

#63 puppetmark OFFLINE  

puppetmark

Dragonstomper

• 710 posts

Posted Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:59 AM

I just updated the website with a bit of new info and a schematic of the working prototype cartridge.

http://www.atari8ethernet.com

Once the prototypes are done, I will start work on a printed circuit board.

#64 BillC OFFLINE  

BillC

Stargunner

• 1,707 posts

Posted Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:57 PM

I checked on the Invector website which is listed as the source for purchasing the IP Dragon II and, while there is information about this board, there is no listing for it on the sales page, only for the CS8900A controller itself.

This makes me wonder, is the IP Dragon II board still available?

Bill

#65 danwinslow OFFLINE  

danwinslow

River Patroller

• 2,531 posts

Posted Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:59 PM

I just updated the website with a bit of new info and a schematic of the working prototype cartridge.

http://www.atari8ethernet.com

Once the prototypes are done, I will start work on a printed circuit board.

Nice work Mark :)

#66 danwinslow OFFLINE  

danwinslow

River Patroller

• 2,531 posts

Posted Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:00 PM

I checked on the Invector website which is listed as the source for purchasing the IP Dragon II and, while there is information about this board, there is no listing for it on the sales page, only for the CS8900A controller itself.

This makes me wonder, is the IP Dragon II board still available?

Bill

Yes, its still available, but you have to contact him as his site's not very up to date. We will be ordering quite a few this winter. You have to specifically request the 5v version.

Edited by danwinslow, Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:01 PM.

#67 JohnBuell OFFLINE  

JohnBuell

Dragonstomper

• 704 posts

Posted Thu Sep 9, 2010 10:37 AM

I just want to know when this will be ready for pre-order ;)

#68 w1k OFFLINE  

w1k

Stargunner

• 1,660 posts

Posted Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:04 AM

whats new? :)

#69 OldAtarian OFFLINE  

OldAtarian

Stargunner

• 1,599 posts

Posted Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:40 AM

I wonder if a version of Contiki can be written for the 7800 XM. Downloadable content for Atari games! Woo hoo! :lust:

Edited by OldAtarian, Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:41 AM.

#70 puppetmark OFFLINE  

puppetmark

Dragonstomper

• 710 posts

Posted Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:24 PM

I just want to know when this will be ready for pre-order

hardware wise, I am hoping to have the boards ready for production by the end of this year. The board design is almost done but I needs to be tested. It looks like the software may a little longer, and I can't reallly say when that will be ready since I am not the one doing the coding. I can tell you that the goal is to have a reliable, working ethernet interface with some good software in the first half of 2011.

I wonder if a version of Contiki can be written for the 7800 XM. Downloadable content for Atari games! Woo hoo! Posted Image

As long as the card can be mapped into the 7800 memory space, and there is enough RAM available, a version of contiki should be possible.

#71 JohnBuell OFFLINE  

JohnBuell

Dragonstomper

• 704 posts

Posted Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:03 PM

So what's going to be possible? I hear 'telnet' being bandied about a lot, but the only systems I'd want to connect to remotely like that would be ssh or nothing. What else is runnable? ftp/sftp? gopher? www?

#72 HiroProX OFFLINE  

HiroProX

Chopper Commander

• 136 posts

Posted Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:55 PM

Looks fun. Think I'll do a "big" A8 project after I finish the "big" ST project I'm wading through at the moment. (EL Stacy screen replacement)

#73 puppetmark OFFLINE  

puppetmark

Dragonstomper

• 710 posts

Posted Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:27 PM

So what's going to be possible? I hear 'telnet' being bandied about a lot, but the only systems I'd want to connect to remotely like that would be ssh or nothing. What else is runnable? ftp/sftp? gopher? www?

what I know of being worked on now:

- Text based web browser
- Webserver
- Telnet client
- Email client

What is possible for the future:
-FTP client
-IRC client
-Multi-player game support

I am hoping once the hardware is finished that others will do some coding for it. There is a lot of potential here, and as I have said before, this is something the 8-bit Atari has needed for some time.

Edited by puppetmark, Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:27 PM.

#74 JohnBuell OFFLINE  

JohnBuell

Dragonstomper

• 704 posts

Posted Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:05 PM

what I know of being worked on now:

- Text based web browser
- Webserver
- Telnet client
- Email client

What is possible for the future:
-FTP client
-IRC client
-Multi-player game support

I am hoping once the hardware is finished that others will do some coding for it. There is a lot of potential here, and as I have said before, this is something the 8-bit Atari has needed for some time.

Oh that's awesome news. I might even look into porting a MUD client. Wouldn't that be a kick?

#75 svenski OFFLINE  

svenski

Stargunner

• 1,484 posts

Posted Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:25 PM

Oh that's awesome news. I might even look into porting a MUD client. Wouldn't that be a kick?

Oh man that has brought back memories, I remember running Tinymush. :ponder:

An 8-bit mud client would be awesome.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users