IGNORED

Good Windows/Mac/Linux sound tools for Lynx?

Wookie

So I want to play around with making some sounds/music for the Lynx. There are several trackers for other platforms that emulate the sound hardware and let you save out your music in a format usable in a game. Are there any tools out there for the Lynx? I know Songbird made a sound tool cart for the Lynx but I'm looking for tool that runs on my Linux box or will run on my iPhone. Anything?

--Wookie

So I want to play around with making some sounds/music for the Lynx. There are several trackers for other platforms that emulate the sound hardware and let you save out your music in a format usable in a game. Are there any tools out there for the Lynx? I know Songbird made a sound tool cart for the Lynx but I'm looking for tool that runs on my Linux box or will run on my iPhone. Anything?

--Wookie

I have only played around with the abc and midi stuff. It does not work too well. But there is a package for Linux called abcMIDI I think. In any case I wrote an output module for it that exports c-files that contain the notes.

The idea is to pick a midi file and run some sequence of commands to generate a Lynx music file.

midi2abc tune.mid > tune.abc

abc2abc -t 4 tune.abc > tune2.abc (transpose up by 4 steps, just an example)

abc2lynx tune2.abc > tune.c

I also studied the polynomian generator and found out that most waveforms can be achieved with many different settings. So I wrote a program to try to find unique waveforms and came up with a list of 6185 different bit sequences the Lynx hardware can create. This data is useful for finding out instrument sounds.

I also know about a Windows tool that can output the correct Lynx sound and also show it as graphics. It might have been made by Matthias or Sage.

Then there is a very interesting project someone should do. It is a "sound save" mode into Handy or Mednafen. Many platforms have a possibility to record sounds so that they can be played back on media players. The idea is to create a plugin for media players and just store the register settings and time stamp them on the Handy.

Duranik had a mod-player for the Lynx.

I also have a copy of wav2lsf. It is a wav to Lynx converter with sample packer.

Then there is Carls audio stuff that is used in Songbird games.

--

Regards,

Karri

• 2 weeks later...

Karri,

Where, oh where I could find the abc2lynx software, I've used ABC language for algorithmic

composition for years, I would very much like to play sounds with Lynx, but can't find

the abc2lynx (except a broken link/page in sipo.fi).

Really looking forward to hear from you !

Thanks for advance !

Best,

Jukka

Jep, P-Karjalasta !

--Wookie

I have only played around with the abc and midi stuff. It does not work too well. But there is a package for Linux called abcMIDI I think. In any case I wrote an output module for it that exports c-files that contain the notes.

The idea is to pick a midi file and run some sequence of commands to generate a Lynx music file.

I also studied the polynomian generator and found out that most waveforms can be achieved with many different settings. So I wrote a program to try to find unique waveforms and came up with a list of 6185 different bit sequences the Lynx hardware can create. This data is useful for finding out instrument sounds.

I also know about a Windows tool that can output the correct Lynx sound and also show it as graphics. It might have been made by Matthias or Sage.

Then there is a very interesting project someone should do. It is a "sound save" mode into Handy or Mednafen. Many platforms have a possibility to record sounds so that they can be played back on media players. The idea is to create a plugin for media players and just store the register settings and time stamp them on the Handy.

I also have a copy of wav2lsf. It is a wav to Lynx converter with sample packer.

--

Regards,

Karri

• 2 weeks later...

Karri,

Where, oh where I could find the abc2lynx software, I've used ABC language for algorithmic

composition for years, I would very much like to play sounds with Lynx, but can't find

the abc2lynx (except a broken link/page in sipo.fi).

Really looking forward to hear from you !

Thanks for advance !

Best,

Jukka

Jep, P-Karjalasta !

--Wookie

--

Regards,

Karri

i also wait for the abc2lynx program, where is it karri?