Magellan

490 replies to this topic

#476 Davvel OFFLINE  

Davvel

Chopper Commander

• 247 posts
  • Married

Posted Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:08 PM

Great, I will definitely use your version, but thanks to this I learnt some Java :) 

On the Codex go ahead, I think we should always get their permission and review.

#477 Davvel OFFLINE  

Davvel

Chopper Commander

• 247 posts
  • Married

Posted Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:21 PM

AsmusR,

I just tested your version out and it is excellent. May I ask if it is a big leap to have the image behind the dialog box get modified without exiting the dialog box, kind of having an APPLY button rather than OK which will give you a preview of what you will get with the particular threshold ? Once you are happy you click on OK.

David

Edited by Davvel, Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:22 PM.

#478 Asmusr ONLINE  

Asmusr

River Patroller

• 2,139 posts

Posted Tue Jan 3, 2017 3:05 PM

The latest version of Magellan includes a BASIC Program export function by Davvel. I will leave to him to explain how it works.

Attached Files

#479 digress OFFLINE  

digress

Dragonstomper

• 852 posts

Posted Thu Feb 9, 2017 9:19 AM

Thanks for updating this program. It's very useful for making f18a graphics for colecovision too.

#480 Opry99er OFFLINE  

Opry99er

Quadrunner

• 7,769 posts

Posted Thu Feb 9, 2017 9:52 AM

It's not hard to see what I'm going for here

CmhE4JE.png
UPwucce.png

Wow, wonder if LASooner went anywhere with this? I love baseball games!!

#481 LASooner OFFLINE  

LASooner

Star Raider

• 90 posts

Posted Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:45 AM

Wow, wonder if LASooner went anywhere with this? I love baseball games!!

haha yeah straight into the programming wall that has thwarted me for decades. I want to do it, I really do, but I get home from work and just want to sleep. I've thought about trying to do this in XB, but I'd like to learn assembly, but then I get distracted by squirrels and there goes that.

This was as far as I got

Attached File  BSBALL.dsk   360KB   18 downloads

Edited by LASooner, Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:43 AM.

#482 Opry99er OFFLINE  

Opry99er

Quadrunner

• 7,769 posts

Posted Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:56 AM

:) It is a magnificent design... As a rabid baseball fanatic, I get chills when I think about good baseball videogames.

Strike Three is fun, Championship Baseball is about the only reason I still own my MBX system, and seeing your design here got me worked up a bit.

The TI needs a new baseball game, hands down... I wrote a baseball simulation game which was a door game on Heatwave BBS. It was a nice little game, but I think it may never see tge light of day again.

I would pay real dollars for a new baseball game on cart and would jump at the chance to help write it!!

#483 LASooner OFFLINE  

LASooner

Star Raider

• 90 posts

Posted Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:57 PM

I would like to take full credit for it, but I basically recreated the one from gamestar baseball on C-64

x0lMyGR.gif

an underrated baseball game, they revised it with GBA baseball by adding a batter's view, but it was basically the same game

NtUTIbq.jpg

#484 Opry99er OFFLINE  

Opry99er

Quadrunner

• 7,769 posts

Posted Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:29 PM

One of my favorites was All Star Baseball for the Intellivision. It was almost exaxtly the same as their regular baseball game, except it had a Single Player mode.

Had a really clever speech snippet that said "YER OUT" even without the speech module.

That game could be re-created on the TI. I would like to see a baseball game that had the solid arcade elements of MBX Championship Baseball but playable on a non-MBX system.

Vanilla XB would likely not be the medium of choice due to speed limitations though.

Edited by Opry99er, Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:34 PM.

#485 1980gamer OFFLINE  

1980gamer

Dragonstomper

• 692 posts

Posted Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:05 PM

Opry99er,

Have you seen this?  http://intellivision...ll/baseball.php

World Series MLB was amazing for it's time.  But not as fun to play as MLB or All Star Baseball.

Hardball on the C=64 was a fun game BITD.

Back on topic...  Can someone do a start to finish scrolling demo in xb or complied xb?

That is,

1. draw a world in Magellan.  Show the settings etc.  Show how to save it. ( any steps needed )

2. Get the world into XB so it can be used.

3. a simple scroll right/left and up/down loop would be awesome.

I love Magellan, I just don't know how to use it very well.  I learn better by seeing an example.  ( old an inflexible I guess )

I have been stuck in a create slump, maybe expanding the display area will help me get out of that?

Thank you!

#486 Opry99er OFFLINE  

Opry99er

Quadrunner

• 7,769 posts

Posted Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:31 PM

The problem with XB is the speed. Making a huge map and writing a scrolling routine are pretty simple things to do... The issue is the speed.

The Wilhelm compiler, XB256, and The Missing Link make this possible, and even simple!

I can give you some examples of how to work Magellan... may even make a video.

Will be a few days though, as I am pretty buried right now.

And I love all the Intellivision baseball games. They remain among my favorite sports games...

Edited by Opry99er, Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:36 PM.

#487 Opry99er OFFLINE  

Opry99er

Quadrunner

• 7,769 posts

Posted Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:59 PM

Hey gamer, I thought you were linking to the ECS GAME...

Super Pro Baseball? I have NOT played that. New release?

#488 1980gamer OFFLINE  

1980gamer

Dragonstomper

• 692 posts

Posted Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:52 PM

Hey gamer, I thought you were linking to the ECS GAME...

Super Pro Baseball? I have NOT played that. New release?

Yes, a new release!  Hey is fixing super pro hockey as well.   I didn't think it could be saved, but it is looking good as well.

XB256 is slick!  I did a few demos with it.   A video example would be awesome!  PS I like the baseball sim you made.

I have been away from the TI for several months.  I was working on a Dr. Mario type game ans someone else beat me to it.  LOL.

I then started playing with a qbert type game, but I cannot make the graphics it would need.

So, I want to make a nice racing game, but the screen will need to scroll to make it worth doing.

Be well.

#489 Opry99er OFFLINE  

Opry99er

Quadrunner

• 7,769 posts

Posted Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:43 PM

I didnt know you were on Heatwave. Cool!!

I'll see what I can do with Magellan demo later this week.

#490 pneubauer OFFLINE  

pneubauer

Combat Commando

• 7 posts

Posted Thu Mar 9, 2017 1:36 PM

I'm trying to use the "Binary Data" export in Magellan 3.2.  My program is able to load the character and map data from the binary file, but I cannot find the sprite data.  Checking the "Include Sprite Data" option during export changes a flag bit in the file header, but the actual data appears to be missing.  Has anybody had success with sprites in the "Binary Data" format?  I don't mind digging into the Magellan code, but I want to rule out operator error before doing that.

Thank you.

#491 Asmusr ONLINE  

Asmusr

River Patroller

• 2,139 posts

Posted Thu Mar 9, 2017 3:18 PM

I'm trying to use the "Binary Data" export in Magellan 3.2.  My program is able to load the character and map data from the binary file, but I cannot find the sprite data.  Checking the "Include Sprite Data" option during export changes a flag bit in the file header, but the actual data appears to be missing.  Has anybody had success with sprites in the "Binary Data" format?  I don't mind digging into the Magellan code, but I want to rule out operator error before doing that.

Thank you.

I haven't touched the "Binary data" export format since I started modifying the Magellan code a few years ago, and you're in fact the first person I know who have used it  :). If you add sprites to the format and want it included in the "master branch" of the code, just send your code changes to me and I will release a new version.

I guess other of my additions like "bitmap mode colors" will also be missing from the binary format.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users