Photo

Magellan

530 replies to this topic

#526 DuaneAL OFFLINE  

DuaneAL

Space Invader

• 49 posts

Posted Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:34 PM

Is it possible to bring in an image to use as a template?  Either for the whole screen or in the character or sprite screens.  Something like a jpg.  i'm not the most artistic person, but I could usually color inside the lines.  I'd like to bring in a graphic of a board game to help in laying out something on the TI.  I've enjoyed seeing the progress of the Royal Game of Ur and I'd like to try my hand at a different game's board.

#527 Opry99er OFFLINE  

Opry99er

Quadrunner

• 9,789 posts

Posted Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:50 PM

Convert9918 will convert bitmap images...

If youre just wanting to make up a game board for a game in GMODE1, youll be limited to 32X24 screen locations.

:D

#528 DuaneAL OFFLINE  

DuaneAL

Space Invader

• 49 posts

Posted Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:07 PM

Thanks! I appreciate the help.  I've tried Convert9918 a little bit.  Can you then bring that image into Magellan to modify it?  Or is there a character or pixel editing feature in Convert9918?  If I understand things correctly, a nice thing about Magellan is that the Map can be bigger than the screen and you can scroll in a program to "see" more of it.  I think I've got several more questions forming in my mind, but they are going to have to wait until tomorrow.

#529 LASooner OFFLINE  

LASooner

Moonsweeper

• 285 posts

Posted Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:23 PM

Convert9918 will convert bitmap images...

If youre just wanting to make up a game board for a game in GMODE1, youll be limited to 32X24 screen locations.

:D

Correction 32x24 color locations, 256x192 pixels  :waving:

#530 Opry99er OFFLINE  

Opry99er

Quadrunner

• 9,789 posts

Posted Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:31 PM

Thanks! I appreciate the help.  I've tried Convert9918 a little bit.  Can you then bring that image into Magellan to modify it?  Or is there a character or pixel editing feature in Convert9918?  If I understand things correctly, a nice thing about Magellan is that the Map can be bigger than the screen and you can scroll in a program to "see" more of it.  I think I've got several more questions forming in my mind, but they are going to have to wait until tomorrow.

Indeed. The program was originally designed by Howard Kistler as a map editor.... which essentially allowed you to build large maps for games. The program for displaying those maps is up to youbut we can offer some help. The Missing Link by senior falcon had assembly support for scrolling a map under a window. Ive written an assembly scroller utilizing Magellans output files, as have many others, including Rasmus who is the current steward of Magellan and keeper of the sacred flame.

In BASIC, it can absolutely be done, but uncompiled BASIC code for scrolling graphics is inherently slow without some neat character redefinition tricks (see sometimes99ers demos for visuals).

There are nearly limitless possibilities for what you can do with Magellan, and deciding how and what you want to accomplish early on will help you define the path forward.

Definitely ask questions, as there are some brilliant programmers on here who can help you on your way. :)

#531 Asmusr OFFLINE  

Asmusr

River Patroller

• 2,786 posts

Posted Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:09 PM

Magellan cannot import an image to use as a background template, so if you need this functionality you should start in a more generic graphics program. Once you have an image, preferably a png file, that looks closer to the end result you can import it into Magellan where you can clean up the patterns. Rather than working an a full board image it's probably better to divide it into smaller tiles that you can import separately.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users