Photo

Magellan

556 replies to this topic

#551 adamantyr ONLINE  

adamantyr

Stargunner

• 1,529 posts

Posted Wed May 22, 2019 11:13 AM

I don't think adamantyr is using Magellan, but when I have been working on projects that needed lots of tiles (Dungeons of Asgard), what I needed was to have them in the tile set so they could be exported (even though the 256 limit was exceeded). Sometimes I would also have liked to have different tile sets for different maps, but that can be dealt with by having multiple files.

I don't use Magellan for my game, no. That's partly though because I built my tools for map creation on the TI awhile back. :) And I have other metadata (lighting and elevation) that is stored along with the tiles, something that's beyond Magellan's boundaries.

#552 matthew180 OFFLINE  

matthew180

River Patroller

• 2,632 posts

Posted Wed May 22, 2019 11:32 AM

Unless there are more than 128 tiles in each font you should be able to use Import Map Image to import the two fonts, with a start offset for the second font Then you can use Shift-click in the tile set to rearrange them (or use the Replace Characters tool, but I never found that very useful).

In this case both sets were full 256 tiles, and I just wanted the subset of lower-case from one set merged into the lower-case of the other.

I don't think adamantyr is using Magellan, but when I have been working on projects that needed lots of tiles (Dungeons of Asgard), what I needed was to have them in the tile set so they could be exported (even though the 256 limit was exceeded). Sometimes I would also have liked to have different tile sets for different maps, but that can be dealt with by having multiple files.

It would be interesting to know what other users think?

I'm happy to defer to what others think.  I'm not making games, and the "out of context" ideas I have come up with in the past have proven to be more than useless in practice.  I was just seeing if Magellan could be a solution for the problem I was having at the moment.

#553 LASooner OFFLINE  

LASooner

Moonsweeper

• 411 posts

Posted Wed May 22, 2019 1:30 PM

If you want to quickly merge two character sets, you could export them individually as character images, bring them into a paint package that can handle layers, layer one on top of another, erase the characters you don't need from the top layer, flatten the image, save, then import the new combined character image back into Magellan.

Edited by LASooner, Wed May 22, 2019 1:31 PM.

#554 matthew180 OFFLINE  

matthew180

River Patroller

• 2,632 posts

Posted Wed May 22, 2019 2:21 PM

Sure, and I did some of that, along with some hex editing and such.  There are always ways to get it done, I was just looking to see if Magellan had the features I was looking for.

On a side note, coercing modern "paint" programs into dealing with individual, single, square pixels is an exercise in frustration.  And none that I have found work very well when zoomed in 1600%.

#555 LASooner OFFLINE  

LASooner

Moonsweeper

• 411 posts

Posted Wed May 22, 2019 3:38 PM

Sure, and I did some of that, along with some hex editing and such.  There are always ways to get it done, I was just looking to see if Magellan had the features I was looking for.

On a side note, coercing modern "paint" programs into dealing with individual, single, square pixels is an exercise in frustration.  And none that I have found work very well when zoomed in 1600%.

I do it with photoshop, make sure you're in bitmap,greyscale or indexed color, 8bits/channel. Don't use a brush, use a pencil. And use pencil or block mode for the eraser. You can turn on grid and snapping to help control it.

#556 Bones-69 OFFLINE  

Bones-69

Chopper Commander

• 217 posts

Posted Wed May 22, 2019 11:10 PM

Would be great if sprites could be positioned on the 256 x 192 grid rather than the clunkier 32 x 24. Is this something that is workable?

#557 chue ONLINE  

chue

Moonsweeper

• 374 posts

Posted Yesterday, 7:01 AM

I've always liked Paint.Net: https://www.getpaint.net/download.html

Attached Files

Edited by chue, Yesterday, 7:04 AM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users