IGNORED

Sharp X68000

The Sharp X68000 platform is a mostly unfamiliar system outside of Japan. This is unfortunate since it has an excellent collection of games available, most, if not all of which, where released on 5 1/4 floppies.

post-10357-127144487372_thumb.jpg post-10357-127144519287_thumb.jpg

I've been trying out a lot of these games using the winx68k highspeed v095 emulator. There are a few tricks to loading some of them and thanks to Roadrunner, here on AA, I've overcome the ones I couldn't figure out.

I would very much love to get an actual Sharp X68000 computer but they are not exactly the most inexpensive system to be had in addition to the exorbitant shipping of an entire computer system from Japan.

What I'm mostly wondering is if anyone else is into or even aware of this platform? Anyone here actually have the real hardware or is the lot of you, like RR and myself, reduced to using an emulator? Even through an emulator you can see the high quality of these games. Akumajou Dracula, especially is amazing.

post-10357-12714448908_thumb.jpg

post-10357-127144491885_thumb.png post-10357-127144491767_thumb.png

There really isn't an awful lot of information, in English that is, about this system. Does there happen to be a X68k guru here abouts?

All I know about it is that it was the original platform for the amazing Cho Ren Sha which has since been ported to Windows. Works great under Wine too.

That looks like a great game. How do you get it to run? I've tried loading it into either FDD and all I get afterward is the prompt. Typing in Run doesn't get me anywhere either. :ponder:

Though only through emulation, I'm into the system. Many quality arcade ports, and games like what you listed screenshots of coulud benefit from an external Roland synthesizer like the MT-32 or SC-55 for even better music.

Actually I get amazing sound from these games through my PC speakers. I'm impressed with both the audio and video capabilities of the X68k.