IGNORED

Harmony price increase

batari

Apparently, you're referring to a "Video Game Brain" as "Game Brain" kept showing me an obscure (unreleased?) Atari console.

If I were to hack together a device to work with the Harmony-based cart dumping, would I just need to do a simple Chip Select/Chip Enable to switch between the game cart and Harmony? Or is there something more elaborate inside the Video Game Brain that would be needed?

Apparently, I do mean "Video Game Brain" but a homemade device that gives you two cart slots and allows setting A12 high or low on either slot would also work.

It would be easy to lay out a board for such a device, and would not require any logic chips. The edge connectors (either through hole, but deep enough to insert a cart, or straddle-mount) might be hard to find for a reasonable price, though.

I'm trying to find information about the "Video Game Brain" but i also just keep pulling up the unreleased Game Brain. Do you think you can link me to the relevant information about it. I just cant seem to find it using Google.

Some relevent links:

https://www.atari2600.com/item--Video-Game-Brain--PROD1546.html

http://www.computerhistory.org/collections/accession/102633278

Too rare to count on buying one. But Bataris words are encouraging in that his technique for ROM dumping is not specific to the Video Game Brain.

See, possibilities like this add value that is NOT present in most flash carts. Well worth the extra gold.

Edited by theloon

Apparently, you're referring to a "Video Game Brain" as "Game Brain" kept showing me an obscure (unreleased?) Atari console.

If I were to hack together a device to work with the Harmony-based cart dumping, would I just need to do a simple Chip Select/Chip Enable to switch between the game cart and Harmony? Or is there something more elaborate inside the Video Game Brain that would be needed?

Apparently, I do mean "Video Game Brain" but a homemade device that gives you two cart slots and allows setting A12 high or low on either slot would also work.

It would be easy to lay out a board for such a device, and would not require any logic chips. The edge connectors (either through hole, but deep enough to insert a cart, or straddle-mount) might be hard to find for a reasonable price, though.

I'd have to go back and find it, but I recall seeing a FB2 cart slot hack where somebody sourced an edge connector that worked. It used screws through the mounting holes to open the dust door on the cart.

Some relevent links:

https://www.atari2600.com/item--Video-Game-Brain--PROD1546.html

http://www.computerhistory.org/collections/accession/102633278

Too rare to count on buying one. But Bataris words are encouraging in that his technique for ROM dumping is not specific to the Video Game Brain.

See, possibilities like this add value that is NOT present in most flash carts. Well worth the extra gold.

They are actually somewhat common. The issue is they don't say "video game brain" or anything else to identify what the product is called, so many who own one don't know what to call it. When you search for "video game brain" you get boxed items since it only says the name on the box, and of course boxed units are rare.

I bought mine for $10, unboxed. They show up on eBay once in a while but not necessarily under their name, but they rarely command a high price.

I'd have to go back and find it, but I recall seeing a FB2 cart slot hack where somebody sourced an edge connector that worked. It used screws through the mounting holes to open the dust door on the cart.

At one time, I thought of producing a standalone dump cart (this was before Harmony.) What stopped me was nothing technical but availability of parts. Apparently, deep 24-pin edge connectors aren't needed for many applications. I can find shallow connectors (they don't quite fit all the way in a cart when mounted flush on a PCB.) If you find anything suitable, post it.

Some relevent links:

https://www.atari260...--PROD1546.html

http://www.computerh...ssion/102633278

They are actually somewhat common. The issue is they don't say "video game brain" or anything else to identify what the product is called, so many who own one don't know what to call it. When you search for "video game brain" you get boxed items since it only says the name on the box, and of course boxed units are rare.

I bought mine for $10, unboxed. They show up on eBay once in a while but not necessarily under their name, but they rarely command a high price.

At one time, I thought of producing a standalone dump cart (this was before Harmony.) What stopped me was nothing technical but availability of parts. Apparently, deep 24-pin edge connectors aren't needed for many applications. I can find shallow connectors (they don't quite fit all the way in a cart when mounted flush on a PCB.) If you find anything suitable, post it.

I'll be darned if I can find it now. The picture I remember had a light colored socket, probably gray. The mounting screws came up through the socket and protruded far enough to release the dust door. It's possible that the mounting screws were doubling as standoffs from the board making the socket effectively deeper. Heck, for all I remember it might not have even been mounted on a board. If I do run across anything I will post it.

Edited by BigO

Some relevent links:

https://www.atari260...--PROD1546.html

http://www.computerh...ssion/102633278

I'll be darned if I can find it now. The picture I remember had a light colored socket, probably gray. The mounting screws came up through the socket and protruded far enough to release the dust door. It's possible that the mounting screws were doubling as standoffs from the board making the socket effectively deeper. Heck, for all I remember it might not have even been mounted on a board. If I do run across anything I will post it.

I remember the photo you do. The connector was light blue and it was standard height but held up off the floor of the flashback base by a couple of washers so the wires would clear (no board that I remember). Then a nut held the connector and the protruding stem of the bolt was filed flat to fit the dust cover release slot. I can't find the web site either but it was the basis of my FB2 mod.

BTW the 3.5 floppy drive cable connectors have the correct contact spacing could be used as a socket to the harmony cart.

Honestly, I never knew about the price increase. I actually never even knew this exited before today. I've been out of the classic gaming arena for some time obviously :) Anyway, I immediately ordered the cart. This is something I hope to see on multiple platforms...but am really glad to see happen to my favorite console of all time! At $60, it is a STEAL!

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/151025-harmony-cart-preorder-list/page__view__findpost__p__1844509

The standard edition will run $49.99. At this price, you get the cart and an instruction sheet to get you started. You supply your own SD card, USB cable for BIOS updates/development, and can download the software/pdf manual.

The deluxe edition will run $74.99. It will include a printed manual, a USB to mini-B programming cable, an SD card (we're not sure of the size yet) which will come formatted and preloaded with some homebrews that we hope you will eventually buy from the store. The SD will also contain the programming software and a pdf manual.

Edited by ls650

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/151025-harmony-cart-preorder-list/page__view__findpost__p__1844509

The standard edition will run $49.99. At this price, you get the cart and an instruction sheet to get you started. You supply your own SD card, USB cable for BIOS updates/development, and can download the software/pdf manual.

The deluxe edition will run $74.99. It will include a printed manual, a USB to mini-B programming cable, an SD card (we're not sure of the size yet) which will come formatted and preloaded with some homebrews that we hope you will eventually buy from the store. The SD will also contain the programming software and a pdf manual.

Thanks. Looks like the Deluxe Edition is the one to get so you don't have to go hunting for the correct SD card and cable.

• 5 weeks later...

I am actually *trying* to buy another one, but google checkout now says my address is invalid...same address I used previously :x

Anyway, tried to PM batari about it but he cannot accept PM's.

Any way to actually buy another one?

PM sent.

• 2 weeks later...

I am actually *trying* to buy another one, but google checkout now says my address is invalid...same address I used previously :x

Anyway, tried to PM batari about it but he cannot accept PM's.

Any way to actually buy another one?

PM sent.

Fixed, ordered, received ;) Thank you again!

• 1 month later...

Harmony carts are selling reasonably well, but it is taking a long time to pull out of the red since costs were so high and the price fairly low. Finally, I did a detailed audit of everything and I am simply not charging enough for it. The break-even point will occur at a staggering 600 units sold. At this rate, it may never happen or at least take so long that it will be hard to justify financing future projects. Also, some supplies are becoming hard to find, and it may not even be possible to produce that many without a redesigning one of the boards.

Harmony is still the cheapest flash cart ever made for the 2600 by a wide margin, and perhaps among the cheapest flash cart for any system. Many who have purchased Harmony have commented on how much of a bargain it is. Please consider this decision was difficult to make but I felt it necessary to ensure that we can continue investing in quality products for your favorite consoles.

Effective immediately, Standard edition price has increased $10 to $59.99, and Deluxe edition has increased $5 to $79.99.

What does it matter?

It's still GREAT! Plus, it supports FUTURE projects! You should make a paypal "donate" button. Who agrees?

I just got mine and I say 59.99 is still a bargain! If you are on the fence about buying this fantastic piece of technology, do yourself a favor and buy this cart. There are so many pluses to owning one:

1. Less wear and tear. You will hardly ever have to swap out a cart because you can put the whole library onto the SD card.

2. Keeps your cart port clean and free from dust. (see #1.) :)

3. Saves space. You can put your collection of carts away (especially if it's bugging the wife.) :)

4. Most importantly, you are supporting future developments.

So, do it for yourself. Do it for your wife/girlfriend. Do it for the community. Buy one. You'll be so glad you did. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Effective immediately, Standard edition price has increased $10 to $59.99, and Deluxe edition has increased $5 to $79.99.

Just bought one, 5 minutes ago. Hope it arrives well in Brazil. Anyways, I'm selling most of my collection, and this Harmony cart will be perfect, because I can sell all my carts and still have the games, and still play them on a real Atari whenever I feel the desire to do so.

Thanks man ! I saw videos, read some posts, some reviews, and it seems like a killing product. The price is right, and, unlike oh so many sellers on eBay, you're not trying to rape a brazilian guy on shipping. Thanks for being honest.

Carlos Bragatto

Brazil

Just bought one, 5 minutes ago. Hope it arrives well in Brazil. Anyways, I'm selling most of my collection, and this Harmony cart will be perfect, because I can sell all my carts and still have the games, and still play them on a real Atari whenever I feel the desire to do so.

Thanks man ! I saw videos, read some posts, some reviews, and it seems like a killing product. The price is right, and, unlike oh so many sellers on eBay, you're not trying to rape a brazilian guy on shipping. Thanks for being honest.

Carlos Bragatto

Brazil

I second that. I'm also from Brazil and amazed with the fair price/shipping of this product. Just waiting for mine, that I bought a few days ago. Congrats for all the people who worked on it.

Rodrigo.