IGNORED

What is the value of an Atari 2600?

Hatta

It's really hard to gague this. Ebay is always overpriced. Craigslist is better, but they only show up sporadically. I got into this hobby in the late 90s, so it's hard for me to see paying more than $25 for a 2600 with maybe a dozen common carts. But the going rate on eBay seems to be $40+. Has the value nearly doubled in the past 10 years, or are people on ebay getting ripped off as usual? I ask, not because I'm looking, but because I want to offer advise to those who are.

Really depends on your local market. How much do systems only, with no game carts, go for at yard sales and flea markets in your area? For reference, I bought a non-working 4-switch woody last summer for only $1, but got it home and found out it was broken. On another occasion, I picked up a Sears Tele-Games heavy sixer with two CX-40 sticks, paddles, and the original system box for $8 at another yard sale.

Online, things always go higher in price. Heavy sixers are the holy grail as far as collectors are concerned. Don't expect to get one for less than $60-$80 on ePay. Craigslist varies, based on how knowledgeable the seller is on pricing. Sometimes you can talk a person down or even barter a bit.

Any system with game carts included will naturally sell for more. A 4-switch woody with all controllers, paddles, DC converter, and about ten common games should go for no more than $40 as far as I am concerned. I saw one that went for $60 at a Salvation Army store in my area a while back, but all the game cart labels were pristine.

Your originally stated price limit of $25 may be reasonable if all you are buying is the system with no games included.

Yard sales are really where the deals can be had. I picked up a N64 system with two controllers and 15 game carts for only $15 last summer. Only thing wrong was it needed the connector pins cleaned badly. It now plays like new.

Edited by tz101

I've recently checked on eBay for one, hoping to get in the business with my new old television. The prices for an Atari 2600 mostly go from USD$20+ for the console, games, controllers, and if you're lucky, an antenna pin adapter. Homebrew cartridges on the other hand, run up to $30 on the Atari Age shop. They're dang cheap compared to something like a Nintendo 64 now (which is harder to 'brew for). icon_neutral.gif

I agree with these guys. If you look on ebay or the marketplace, you should be able to pick one up around $25-30. Common carts you can usually pick up for less than $1/cart if you get them in bulk. Individually, you are probably looking $2.50 or so for commons (R1-R3). At flea markets of course, anything goes. I have paid anywhere from a few cents each to $3-$5 depending on what it was.

The prices seem to be going a lot higher lately on Ebay. Saw a few go for over $100 and they didn't even have that many carts with them. A heavy sixer with 100 carts went for I think $240 last week.

Yes, I even saw a *new* one for sale, still in unopened condition (!), for about $350...

I got into this hobby in the late 90s, so it's hard for me to see paying more than $25 for a 2600 with maybe a dozen common carts.

I'd go $20 with the hookups and joysticks, or $30 with hookups, joysticks, and a dozen commons.

I'd say generally that's about right, although it depends on the type of 2600, condition of deck & controllers, and so on.

Just as little as a year or 2 ago,a 2600 in any condition could be had for $7.99 at the thrift stores,even a Sunnyvale H-6.Now of course they've raised their prices,any console is now $19.99.An Atari H-6?,different story,they've caught on to their value.I found a mint H-6 pretty recently at the same thrift store,but for $39.99,which i gladly paid for.A little infuriating,but a lot of these Goodwills,Thrifts,etc,look online,especially Ebay,to check value. :x.True also,a 2600 is worth what one wants to spend.If someone offered me a nice H-6 for like $60-100,you bet id take it,I've only seen 2 in my years collecting.I'd try to talk down the price of course,but that's wheelin an deelin,especially true at the FLEA MARKETS that is.

Edited by Rik

25 for deck alone is about average price here, which I think is perfectly fair. Incidentally, here's some other typical prices I see for systems.. (I do lots of flea markets)

CV - 20

64 - 60ish

INTV - 10

DC - 40ish

SNES - rarely below 30

SAT - never see them

GEN - 15 or so, a bit over if you ask me as this is definitely the most common system in the area

NES - 50+! (they are VINTIGE and RAER)

Nobody seems to know what the inty's and CV's are so you can typically find them pretty cheap whereas the 26 and NES are iconic enough that people think they're worth a lot. 64's, on the other hand, are way overpriced considering their overall quality and shoddy library

Apparently $25k if its NIB and graded by the VGA: 1980 ATARI 2600 WOODGRAIN GRADED VGA 80 :lol:

Looks like the seller keeps raising the price on this item, I know it was initially listed for far less ($3,000?) There's another thread about it somewhere. :)

..Al

It's apparently a really rare version that plays NES games:

"WITH THE SALE PRICE OF RARE ATARI GAMES LIKE: STADIUM EVENTS MISB FOR OVER $40,000.00, AND AIR RAID MIB going for OVER $30,000.00, THIS SYSTEM WILL ONLY INCREASE IN COLLECTIBLE INVESTMENT VALUE FOR YEARS TO COME."