IGNORED

Hooked on 8-bit carts

Tanman

This is the description of the Manufacturing Test Cartridge at Best Electronics

Atari 810 Factory Manufacturing Test Cartridge. 810 / 1050 Disk Drive number test (for internal Atari disk drive number slide select switches), Alignment test (requires an Oscilloscope and 5 1/4 Alignment disk), Interchange Test Disk Manufacturing Test (no print out) and 810 Sideboard ROM level check. ©

That description is closer to the Field Exerciser Cartridge except that it doesn't format the floppy. It writes all sectors, reads all sectors, then repeats until stopped(it takes almost 8 minutes to complete a pass). The other test is an alignment test, which just reads track 16 continously until stopped.

Actually it looks to be part of the "810 Disk Manufacturing Tests" Option #5

post-26874-0-77981100-1382659288_thumb.gif

From my dump of this, it shows Version E00.13, so possibly an Engineering Test Prototype???

post-26874-0-46619000-1382659793_thumb.png

Edited by AtariGeezer

Here's a few to play with. Couldn't get Magic Dump II to dump and run in Altirra. The two DOS ones are homemade carts I got in a lot long ago with homemade labels but I figured what the heck. Also have to dig up EasyScan and try to dump it. Not that it is usable without the fiberoptic cart.

Al

File contains:

400 Microprinter System

400/800 SALT Diagnostic cart 2.05

400/800/XL SuperSALT Diagnostic cart rev A

800 Microprinter System

810 Diagnostic cart

DT80 ATR 800

Pronto: The Home Information System

Super Zaxxon

Topper

The title 810 Diagnostic cart isn't very descriptive, Best Electronics sells 4 test/diagnostic cartidges for the 810. I looked in the binary using hexdump and this is the one Best describes as Atari 810 CPS Field Exerciser Diagnostic Cartridge.

The reason for the title is probably that this is the only version that B&C/myatari.com sell, and is labeled 810 DIAGNOSTIC CARTRIDGE FD100006

The diagnostic cart image I have will move the head to track 16 for an alignment check but according to the 810 field service manual, a master alignment diskette is required. I'm wondering if the master diskette has special data on that track or if any factory formated disk can be used, such as a dos master disk. Any thoughts?

The alignment procedure also has steps to move the head to the first and last tracks, but I don't see how that can be done with the diagnostic cart. The manual refers to a "disk alignment cartridge or program". Anybody know what cartridge this is refering to?

810 Diagnostic Cartridge (1982).bin

• Like 4

The diagnostic cart image I have will move the head to track 16 for an alignment check but according to the 810 field service manual, a master alignment diskette is required. I'm wondering if the master diskette has special data on that track or if any factory formated disk can be used, such as a dos master disk. Any thoughts?

The alignment procedure also has steps to move the head to the first and last tracks, but I don't see how that can be done with the diagnostic cart. The manual refers to a "disk alignment cartridge or program". Anybody know what cartridge this is refering to?

Best Electronics sells 4 different test/diagnostic cartridges for 810 drives. Since the Field Exerciser Diagnostics can only check head alignment on track 16 it was probably meant for just doing a quick test, and if there were problems one of the others would be used to adjust alignment. All 4 cartridges with descriptions are on the following web page at Best, they also have a Dysan alignment disk on the page as well.

http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/8-bit_.htm

Head alignment requires a special disk with elliptical tracks. Basically, track 15 is written across track 16 as is track 17 written across track 16. When you scope the head output while reading track 16 continuously, you see the two tracks (15 and 17) in a particular cats-eye pattern. You adjust the alignment such that the two tracks are equal amplitude. That sets the head alignment.

You can't use a normal disk. It only works on track 16.

Bob

• Like 3

Head alignment requires a special disk with elliptical tracks. Basically, track 15 is written across track 16 as is track 17 written across track 16. When you scope the head output while reading track 16 continuously, you see the two tracks (15 and 17) in a particular cats-eye pattern. You adjust the alignment such that the two tracks are equal amplitude. That sets the head alignment.

You can't use a normal disk. It only works on track 16.

Bob

Great info. Guess I'll have to track down one of these disks. :)

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

• 5 weeks later...

first you rip the rev. a chip out the cartridge then you insert a rev. C chip or prom....

rev. A and B. are buggy bug bug infested!

You could load basic off of disk as well.... not nearly as good as a cartridge or chip or prom inside the Atari itself though.

So I guess we all need revision C cartridges for our 400, 800, and 1200XL.

and if your XL/XE has rev A or Rev B... cut it out and replace it....

Revision C Eliminated memory leaks in Revision B installed in later 800XLs, 800XLF, XEGS and all XE computers.

You can find out the version by examining the location in memory, simply Enter the command PRINT PEEK(43234) at the READY prompt in basic will give a result of 162 for Revision A, 96 for Revision B, and 234 for Revision C.

Edited by _The Doctor__

Yep, in 1984 I pulled the Basic ROM out of a 600xl parts unit that I got from the Atari Service Center on Guam. It was the Rev 'B' which I thought was B)etter so I plopped that into my Basic Cartridge, I'll have to find that one and swap it out (again). I'm thinking about burning Phaeron's' ATBasic onto an eprom and see how that goes. I do use my Rev 'C' carts (only have 2 at the moment) on a Stock 800 and 1200XL...

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

BUMP! Time for a new update of the ROM spreadsheet. Thanks to all who contributed ROM images.

It needs a Bit-3 80 Column Board or Austin-Franklin 80-Column Board to run...

AtariGeezer, do you have any instruction manual to this Letter Perfect version? I've tried to run this ROM in Atari800, which can emulate the Austin Franklin, but couldn't work it out.

• Like 1

AtariGeezer, do you have any instruction manual to this Letter Perfect version? I've tried to run this ROM in Atari800, which can emulate the Austin Franklin, but couldn't work it out.

Nope, didn't receive any docs, just the cart and disks...

The reference I found before on the Austin Franklin was here: http://www.cyberroach.com/analog/an22/new_letter_perfect.htm

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Does anyone have instructions on using the WAM/Examiner? I have them and am trying to remember how to use them to copy my carts to move to my RetroPie but can't remember how it works. Obviously, plug Examiner in to joystick ports (1&2 or 3&4) but the disk doesn't boot. Guessing maybe binary load of Examiner?

Then what? Will it make a .bin that I can copy off to the Pi?

This reminds me - I have a Krazy Shoot Out that is labeled CBS but had the Kbyte title screen. I have only even seen one of these.

Does the cart housing look original (not tampered with, etc.). I remember that housing is the same one both versions, different colors?

Unless it was being private labeled that would be strange I would think.