IGNORED

Hooked on 8-bit carts

Tanman

Thank you. I have marked AtariWriter and the OSS 034M version of Action! 3.6 as verified.

CRCs for my tiny collection of carts. Only BASIC had no match for CRC in your table.

It is already listed, as "BASIC rev. A".

- atari_writer_dump.rom - CRC-32 = 7be4533d, size = 16384 bytes

Do you happen to remember when did you acquire this cartridge? (Assuming you bought it when it was released, of course.) How does the label look? There are at least 4 revisions ow AW, and any information would help in determining order of their releases.

I have one hack, so simple it's silly.

I think I won't be adding it to the list, as it's a join of two already known ROM images.

Another update:

• Like 1

Thank you. I have marked AtariWriter and the OSS 034M version of Action! 3.6 as verified.

CRCs for my tiny collection of carts. Only BASIC had no match for CRC in your table.

Hmm, I thought the last two digits of the CRC differed from yours. My mistake. I was using an online XLS viewer which was awkward to navigate.

Do you happen to remember when did you acquire this cartridge? (Assuming you bought it when it was released, of course.) How does the label look? There are at least 4 revisions ow AW, and any information would help in determining order of their releases.

I do not recall. However, it's a brown cart with the classic text-only label and I have the OBM. I might be able to take pictures tomorrow if that would be useful.

I think I won't be adding it to the list, as it's a join of two already known ROM images.

That's fine. At least it's available here should someone want to play with combination. Easier to make one 16K cart than to obtain an 800 and make one left and one right cart while it's probably very hard to find an original MW2.

Another update:

About Atari Writer. Mine is the 'A' version crc32 1C2498A4. Purchased about January, 1984, copyright 1982. Here's the quick ref card pdf and my ROM dump. zipped. You can download the entire AW manual

from my site http://www.russgilb.net

The manual is pdf about 39 megabytes. I switched to Paper Clip mostly, this was with my first purchase of 800XL, 1010, 1027 and AWriter, about $800 worth of stuff, my first computer.

post-21816-0-75161900-1347218409_thumb.jpg

AWQuickref.zip

AWDUMP.zip

• Like 1

I was using an online XLS viewer which was awkward to navigate.

I'm suggesting OpenOffice.org or LibreOffice.

I do not recall. However, it's a brown cart with the classic text-only label and I have the OBM. I might be able to take pictures tomorrow if that would be useful.

Thanks, but it would be enough if you just quoted the copyright date from the cartridge/box/manual.

About Atari Writer. Mine is the 'A' version crc32 1C2498A4. Purchased about January, 1984, copyright 1982. Here's the quick ref card pdf and my ROM dump. zipped.

Thank you. I wonder though - was the "A, B, C" version designation known back in the day, perhaps referenced in magazines, or is it an invention from the Internet era? The Checksum Verifier program that I've mentioned earlier, indicates that there was another revision of AW, called Rev. B, which is different than all three revisions currently known & dumped.

I was using an online XLS viewer which was awkward to navigate.

I'm suggesting OpenOffice.org or LibreOffice.

Thanks, but it would be enough if you just quoted the copyright date from the cartridge/box/manual.

About Atari Writer. Mine is the 'A' version crc32 1C2498A4. Purchased about January, 1984, copyright 1982. Here's the quick ref card pdf and my ROM dump. zipped.

Thank you. I wonder though - was the "A, B, C" version designation known back in the day, perhaps referenced in magazines, or is it an invention from the Internet era? The Checksum Verifier program that I've mentioned earlier, indicates that there was another revision of AW, called Rev. B, which is different than all three revisions currently known & dumped.

I don't think there was an 'A' to the earliest AW, that may have come with updated versions. So, what we call 'A' today

is just the first verson that sold for at least 2 years. I don't thnk AW was very popular after about 1984, as

there were better word processors, Paper Clip being one of them.

Kr0tki,

Thanks for updating your spreadsheet and making a valued effort to maintain this database.

I noticed in your latest spreadsheet that you had reduced some of the 8kb files to 2kb & 4kb. Did these cartridges in fact have 2kb & 4kb roms in them?

I was sort of under the impression that these cartridges only contained 1 or 2, 8kb roms.

I ask for the sake of me maintaining accurate rom size information in the MESS software list.

k1w1

• Like 1

We were discussing this issue here a while back. Problem is, we can't know for sure what chips Atari used. They used custom designations for their ROM chips, so it is impossible to guess the chip's size by its marking. Also, a 4K chip is AFAIK electrically identical to a 8K chip with its half filled with $FF, so the only way to determine the chip size would be to actually open the chip.

The decision to reduce the ROMs' sizes to 4 or 2K is based on my assumption that the chips aren't 8K. I find this assumption probable, because:

a) it would be most cost-effective to use the smallest possible ROMs,

b) Atari already used 2K and 4K ROMs in cartridges for the VCS,

c) they used 4K chips in at least some 8-bit cartridges - as checked by Mitch, his Pac-Man cartridge contains two chips that have to be 4K, since the whole game is 8K.

Edited by Kr0tki

• 2 months later...

Here are 2 new ROM dumps, Hamtext by Kantronics and Edit 6502 by LJK

I received Hamtext from another AA member (forget who) that had "The Pill" header and loader code, so those are stripped out to get the actual ROM.

I got the Edit 6502 dump from some officer back on Guam, it runs on OS B only.

HamText.rom.bin

Edit6502 LJK.rom.bin

Edit6502 LJK (8k).bin

The Hamtext ROM and 16k Edit 6502 ROM was tested on a Sic! 31-In-1 cart...

Jay

• Like 6

Good work! But I have a few comments:

I found "Hobgoblin' (GR8 Software) on the list. But GR8 released "Robbo Forever" and "Bomb Jake" too.

http://gr8.atari.pl/...emid=28&lang=en

I'm pretty sure! :)

I'm confused, you're avatar is GR8 software's logo, but you're not with them???? They have a new cart Line Runner just out.

I'm working on a comprehesive list currently, I estimate to have about 90% of all the production carts made for the 400/800 and XL's. My collection is growing daily :)

• 2 months later...

Thank you FULS for your excellent contribution. I have updated the list with your new images.

Your Twin Pack seems to be an overdump. Jindroush's website says it is a standard 8KB cartridge; and indeed your image has the same 8KB contents repeated 8 times. After cutting out the 8KB image, it still works fine in the emulator. Could you possibly look into the cartridge case and verify the size of the ROM?

• 3 months later...

Hi,

I've written an import of this list for The!Cart Studio. I works great, but I have some entries left for which I don't know to which ".CAR" type they should be mapped?

ERROR: Unmapping mapping value 1024KB/ULTIMATE1MB for: 'SpartaDOS X 4.44'.

ERROR: Unmapping mapping value 1032KB/CORINA EEPROM for: 'Yie Another Kung Fu'.

ERROR: Unmapping mapping value 128KB/- for: 'Multicartridge'.

ERROR: Unmapping mapping value 128KB/FOOCART for: 'SpartaDOS X 4.44'.

ERROR: Unmapping mapping value 128KB/MEGACART for: 'Eidolon [The]'.

ERROR: Unmapping mapping value 128KB/MEGACART for: 'Gauntlet'.

ERROR: Unmapping mapping value 128KB/MEGACART for: 'Koronis Rift'.

ERROR: Unmapping mapping value 128KB/MYIDE+ for: 'SpartaDOS X 4.44'.

ERROR: Unmapping mapping value 128KB/MYIDE+ for: 'SpartaDOS X 4.45'.

ERROR: Unmapping mapping value 128KB/TURBO FREEZER 2005 for: 'SpartaDOS X 4.41'.

ERROR: Unmapping mapping value 128KB/TURBO FREEZER 2005 for: 'SpartaDOS X 4.42'.

ERROR: Unmapping mapping value 128KB/TURBO FREEZER 2005 for: 'SpartaDOS X 4.43'.

ERROR: Unmapping mapping value 128KB/TURBO FREEZER 2005 for: 'SpartaDOS X 4.44'.

ERROR: Unmapping mapping value 16KB/- for: 'AST 2000'.

ERROR: Unmapping mapping value 16KB/- for: 'Action! 3.6'.

ERROR: Unmapping mapping value 16KB/- for: 'BASIC XE 4.1'.

ERROR: Unmapping mapping value 16KB/- for: 'BASIC XL 1.02'.

ERROR: Unmapping mapping value 16KB/- for: 'BASIC XL 1.03'.

ERROR: Unmapping mapping value 16KB/- for: 'MAC/65 1.01'.

ERROR: Unmapping mapping value 16KB/- for: 'Telelink II'.

ERROR: Unmapping mapping value 16KB/BUTTON SWITCH for: 'Super Turbo'.

ERROR: Unmapping mapping value 256KB/TURBO FREEZER 2005 for: 'SpartaDOS X 4.45'.

ERROR: Unmapping mapping value 256KB/ULTIMATE1MB for: 'SpartaDOS X 4.45'.

ERROR: Unmapping mapping value 2KB/AUTO SWITCHOFF for: 'KSO 2T09'.

ERROR: Unmapping mapping value 2KB/AUTO SWITCHOFF for: 'KSO Turbo 2000'.

ERROR: Unmapping mapping value 32KB/- for: 'BIG 2.0'.

ERROR: Unmapping mapping value 4KB/ for: '??? ZABEZTUR'.

ERROR: Unmapping mapping value 4KB/AUTO SWITCHOFF for: 'KSO 2T12'.

ERROR: Unmapping mapping value 4KB/AUTO SWITCHOFF for: 'Turbo 2000F'.

ERROR: Unmapping mapping value 512KB/IDE PLUS 2.0 for: 'SpartaDOS X 4.43'.

ERROR: Unmapping mapping value 512KB/IDE PLUS 2.0 for: 'SpartaDOS X 4.44'.

ERROR: Unmapping mapping value 512KB/IDE PLUS 2.0 for: 'SpartaDOS X 4.45'.

ERROR: Unmapping mapping value 512KB/MEGACART for: 'Commando'.

ERROR: Unmapping mapping value 512KB/MEGACART for: 'MIDI Maze 1.00'.

ERROR: Unmapping mapping value 512KB/MEGACART for: 'Mean 18'.

ERROR: Unmapping mapping value 64KB/? for: 'SpartaDOS X'.

ERROR: Unmapping mapping value 8KB/ for: '??? TURKUJDY'.

ERROR: Unmapping mapping value 8KB/? for: 'Universal RAM Copy 1.3'.

ERROR: Unmapping mapping value 8KB/BUTTON SWITCH for: 'Turbo 2000 / Super Turbo'.

ERROR: Unmapping mapping value 8KB/LOW BANK for: 'Monkey Wrench II for the Atari XL'.

ERROR: Unmapping mapping value 8KB/TELELINK II for: 'Telelink II'.

INFO: 738 entries added, 209 entries skipped, 45 errors from Krotki's list.

Any tips are welcome. Maybe the 16kB ones are actually standard, maybe the 64KB/? should be 64KB/SPARTADOS X instead?

Edited by JAC!

I don't know the exact dynamics between AtariAge and Atarimania (besides both being my favoritist Atari sites), but I was thinking last night that it would just be cool if there was a function built in to AtariAge to where when a cart was mentioned, that it would "automagically" link over to the Atarimania site. (Or wherever)

I've seen it before (cant remember where though), it made tracking and dealing with items so much easier.

Yes, I know you can create and embed links manually, but this was a more automated process, I think something like if you entered the text ~CX1234~ it would validate that CX1234 was a good cart number and create the link.

S

---

Late Partier

I'm always late to the party. (Maybe I should make that my sig?) In case anyone still needs info on the Editor Assembler/Assmbler Editor carts, I have a boxed copy of each I can dig out.

S

---

Late Partier

What are the differences in the packages besides the cartridge labels? Can you post or PM pictures?

Thanks.

What are the differences in the packages besides the cartridge labels? Can you post or PM pictures?

Thanks.

The "Editor Assembler" has a brown plastic case like this Basic Cart:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/193654-working-on-an-a8-label-variation-list-please-contribute/?do=findComment&comment=2464292

I'll try to post a pic tomorrow...