IGNORED

ATARI LAMP V3.0!

Cebus Capucinis

Put some speakers in the empty 2600 carcass - you know, the part that was an empty carcass even when a 2600 motherboard lived there - the place where speakers were "supposed" to be.

Move the 110-volt switch to the "real" power switch, and tell Underwriter's Laboratories to go F-themselves. Use the other switches to do stuff like turn on "music to get laid to" and another switch to play "Pac-man Fever." Coming soon to Costco! These ideas are patented, so I'll expect a royalty check. Then maybe I can afford to have a partner to listen to that aforementioned music with. Your lamp company's motto: "Sexy Atari lamps. Supplant the categorical imperative with the biological imperative." Maybe Nolan will endorse them. Then you sit back and cash checks the rest of your life. :)

But wouldn't a bare-chested, smoking, hot-tub enjoying Nolan on the box - arms spread wide like he's ready to embrace the potential customer that's looking at the box - result in an impulse purchase? Could mean big dollars!

To me it's not so much about making money anyway. I like creating cool stuff in my spare time (of course since getting laid off I have TONS of spare time! :lol: ) and I had been tinkering around with some ideas and bouncing them off Al via PM and he suggested the basic idea. I implemented a lot of tweaks and ideas to get it to work completely and it was a lot of fun to make. I do have to say nothing is cooler than flipping that switch the first time and seeing those box scans light up. They really are some really pretty shades of color when you flip it on. :)

I really enjoy being creative and making all sorts of goofy stuff like my table and lamps, lampshades, etc. I have a few other ideas I'm working on and hope to find time to do them after moving. I'm selling a couple of them, sure, to further fuel the monetary gears of future projects, but in all honesty I didn't ask for much for them and I mostly am just motivated to share my stuff with people. It's really cool to see so many people thinking this is something positive and interesting. To be completely frank I've never really considered myself much of an artist or creative person, just a guy who putzes around in his garage with random stuff.

If Atari wanted to take the lamp and market it on their own, more power to them! Royalties would be really cool, sure, I wouldn't turn them down, but if we saw these in stores I think it would be just enough for me to look at it and think 'Holy crap, *I* made that, or at least the original one!'. Creating fun stuff is a great hobby but it could never be a money-maker for me. Besides, I have my career goals already planned out! :D

I'm glad that came up, as you totally hosed the posting on the front page and had the whole thing repeated twice. :roll:

..Al

Double exposure is a good thing.

Double exposure is a good thing.

Cebus, did you hijack Al's website to get your lamps on the front page like that? :D

I can't believe he even embedded a YouTube video on the front page!! :o

..Al

Hey you should add a tagline to the main page, "Another Bright Idea by Cebus."

Sweet lamps! I like the video, all you need is some classic atari music playing in the background.

Can't wait to see the table.

Table:

post-24585-127320693397_thumb.jpgpost-24585-127320693669_thumb.jpgpost-24585-127320693954_thumb.jpgpost-24585-127320694576_thumb.jpgpost-24585-127320695077_thumb.jpg

Wow, that was way back in Lamp 2.0 days. LOL I forgot how much I'd improved it. The pictures with lamp are sample photos I sent to Al as a status update before I added carts, improved the shade, etc. etc.

The TV was for another project that likely will not come to fruition (I was way too ambitious) and the, uhh "backup copies" of the movies, just ignore those..... :lol: These were all Al's scrub carts that he couldn't use for anything. They were gunked up, dirty, disgusting, scuffed, and terrible for use for any homebrews or anything. I didn't kill any "good" carts for the table -- just dead cart shells that were beyond use! :)

I want one. icon_love.gif

Apart from the power switch thingy, could you maybe use one of the other switches as a dimmer so kids can use it as a night light? Would be cool if you could figure out a function for all the switches.

Maybe that's something to think about for 4.0 icon_smile.gif

Hey, it's art, everyone has different opinions and nobody's is more valid than anyone else's. :)

The client I made it for is very happy with it and that's all that matters to me! ;)

They're just inkjet labels I printed for the top 4 carts and then end labels for all of them. The carts originally came from Al and were horrid, so he couldn't use them for homebrews and I knew what I wanted to do with 'em!