IGNORED

The Adam SD Drive....

else

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The creator of this ADAM SD Drive (Else) hasn't been on AA since Sept. 2011. He was also developing a Horse Racing game for the ColecoVision and had progressed pretty far along with it as can be seen by the demos he made available in another thread.

There are others who have stated that they are working on or looking into developing an SD Drive solution for the ADAM Computer, but so far no further word unfortunately.

• 6 years later...

What ever happened to this? Did it become the MicroFox VDD or is this different?

Milli

Else hasn't been around for years and as far as I know, the prototype he developed for himself is the only one in existence.

With that said, Else's SD Drive was the inspiration behind the development of the MicroFox VDD a number of years later.

I really like the form factor of Else's solution. Has anyone been able to contact Else in the real world to determine if he's not coming back to gaming? I realize that he could very easily head back on his own if he wanted to, but wanted to ask nonetheless.

I tried to get in touch with him a couple of years ago when I started the CV Homebrew Tracker thread and any messages I sent to him via this forum or through any email addresses I found when unanswered.

I tried to get in touch with him a couple of years ago when I started the CV Homebrew Tracker thread and any messages I sent to him via this forum or through any email addresses I found when unanswered.

I saw over at colecovision.dk that there was a 4th image featuring Else's ADAM SD solution, this time in a prototype case. I didn't see that image here. Does anyone know the source of that image?

http://www.colecovision.dk/derrick.htm

When it comes right down to it, Else's SD Drive was a break thru and showed everyone that it could be done. His use of disk pairs (32 x 2 for 64 total disk images available) was limiting and the MicroFox Virtual Disk Drive (SD Drive) that is available for purchase through Adamcon is a huge improvement. The one advantage of Else's SD Drive solution is that it can emulate two disk drives at the same time compared to only one for the MicroFox unit.

Checkout the MicroFox unit at: www.annhollowdreams.com

When it comes right down to it, Else's SD Drive was a break thru and showed everyone that it could be done. His use of disk pairs (32 x 2 for 64 total disk images available) was limiting and the MicroFox Virtual Disk Drive (SD Drive) that is available for purchase through Adamcon is a huge improvement. The one advantage of Else's SD Drive solution is that it can emulate two disk drives at the same time compared to only one for the MicroFox unit.

So it sounds like the advantage of Else's unreleased full size SD drive is that one drive could be assigned disk drive #1 and #2 and then with one SD drive one could use two virtual disk drive images at the exact same time as long as those images were on the same SD card. I am also guessing that since the drive was a full size SD card that the lock switch acted like a virtual write protect switch that is found on 1.44MB 3.5 inch disks. Maybe Else's drive might also work like a virtual hard drive by being able to use the full 32GB of space on the SDHC card.

Edited by HDTV1080P

If you read through Else's descriptions of the capabilities, yes, his SD Drive could provide access to two disk images at the same time as disk drive #1 and #2. Also, it sounds like to disk images could continually grow in size with possibly the only limit on size being what EOS maxs out at.

• Like 1

I'm grateful that MicroFox has supported the Adam community with great products. My interest in Else's Adam SD solution is part curiosity - that such a cool product was shared with the community, including an ADAMCon, before he stepped away - and part interest in his unit's form factor and functionality. If his posts were simply scattered musing about a possible SD solution, I'd leave it there, but the fact he demoed and designed a working prototype with word that he was ready to begin assembling units, well, that's prompted me to see if the community can reconnect with Else. I've been in the hobby long enough to see people come and go for various reasons, including lost interest. If Else had declared "I'm done guys, so long and thanks for all the fish," then that's that, but in this case it seems like things were left up in the air. I agree that if someone doesn't log into AtariAge for 7 years, that's a deliberate decision, but if there's any possible chance of reconnecting with Else, I'd like to follow up on it.

Edited by The Evener

Good luck trying to get in touch with Else. We've all tried to contact him,others with stronger ties than me to this community and have failed. He has his reasons but his success in making a SD drive for the ADAM inspired me to try. Had all the parts needed until Bob beat me to it :P

Now they're just collecting dust in the closet along with my other stuff. The Micro Fox virtual drive is fantastic. Only plans I have at this point is making my Micro Fox drive look prettier :grin:

I know it's a long shot, but I have to try. If anyone is comfortable passing along Else's last known email or mailing address or on-line communities he might hang out in to me via PM, that would be great. If I'm missing a key detail that hasn't been publicly posted that would dissuade me from my quixotic quest, like some kind of run-in with members of the community that prompted him to leave for good, please let me know via PM as well.

The Evener..... I can respect your desire to reach out and contact Else, but he's made a conscience effort to step away from the community for whatever personal reason of his own and you should respect that. Numerous people tried to reach out over the years to no avail, so that should be a good enough hint for all that he doesn't want to be bothered just like everyone hates to be bothered by telemarketer phone calls. Maybe one day he will decide to rejoin and reengage with the community, but until then....

everyone should put their efforts into supporting those that are here and are supporting us with products and services as MicroFox/Adamcon is doing.

Just my two cents which you can't even get a gumball with anymore.

I agree with Jim here. I'm sure he was inundated with messages when all this began and went as far as un-registering an email address he used a lot. We should respect his privacy. I know in the same circumstances I'd want to be left alone. Wouldn't be the first time we've seen someone not come back for years and all of a sudden one day you see a post from them on here.