IGNORED

arcade2atari8 [asteroids]

xxl

xxl... very very good... I love it... the best port... obviously at it is the same engine, 6502 code..., pokey sound chip... :)

controls via keyboard?

Original Asteroids didn't use Pokey... it had discrete analog circuitry to do the sound.

I reckon this conversion might benefit from some judicious usage of triangle, saw, 2-tone waves.

>>

>Looks like you've scaled the graphics up a bit. Probably not a bad idea, since the smaller objects now have more detail...

global scale factor for drawing x4, but for collision still old one

code is based on asteroids rev.2 from M.A.M.E. i fixed a few bugs aslo,

original game deletes the last character of the last (10) entry in the table hiscore,

build display list for vector generator with unnecessary Load Scale, abs_x, abs_y,

unnecessary draw absolute with luminance = 0 after load absolute x,y but oryginal HW probably requires it

(i change oryginal mame roms and it works fine without that)

> controls via keyboard?

joystick: left/right; up for thrust, down for hyperspace, fire

Edited by xxl
  • Like 3

I don't know what you had in mind for the SFX, But I did these in RMT. This is a track with some random game play sounding things going on, but these sounds have no tracks to play in the actual game. you could play them as SFX using RMT when you needed them and Assign them to specific channels.

Here is an XEX showing what I had in Mind.

Let me know if its what you were looking for and if you want the RMT file, XXL. =)

I wanted to chime in to say that this project is amazing and unprecedented. I support the zooming of the gfx if that was needed to get the best result. And I hope you put a version on cartridge that will play in a 48k or 64k (like mine) Atari 400 or 800. Unbelievable what is being done lately. Keep going!

If this one comes to fruition, the logical next step would probably be Battlezone.

Relatively low on the vector count, plus the computer version is crap so it would be welcome with open arms.

Battlezone had a "mathbox" (bitslicer) add-on to calculate the 3-D effect. I would imagine that would slow you way down...

i have roms:

035145-02.ef2

035144-02.h2

035143-02.j2

035127-02.np3

034602-01.c8

but I need these:

035145-04e.ef2

035144-04e.h2

035143-02.j2

035127-02.np3

034602-01.c8

has anyone?

> And I hope you put a version on cartridge that will play in a 48k or 64k (like mine) Atari 400 or 800

for a8 game need 16 kb so far.

:D THANKS for the asteroids rev4 roms !!!

> cartridge with hi-score saving feature

game will be available for free,

program requires original asteroids rom rev2 or rev4 (rev1 not supported)

if it will work fine and if GR8 will want to publish it, for cart version

i can do a hiscore save, dip switch for language, lives and maybe global

scale factor for explosions.

but... i dont know how about arcade roms, GR8 must face the problem

or user must once write 8kb arcade roms to EEPROM on cart ;)

You could possibly seek permission of the copyright holder. Perhaps that is still Atari but I don't know. They might go along with it, or ask you to limit the run to a certain quantity, or...

I met some of the Atari personnel in about 2006 at a retrogaming convention. They seemed very cool and friendly.

You could possibly seek permission of the copyright holder. Perhaps that is still Atari but I don't know. They might go along with it, or ask you to limit the run to a certain quantity, or...

There was an Asteroids contest in 2008 for a famous German computing magazine. Atari gave their permission to use the ROMs as you can read here: http://www.heise.de/ct/creativ/08/02/details/ (German)

I think this should be possible in this case too...

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I just watched the video again. So incredible. So much better than official Atari 8bit Asteroids (however it must be noted that official version supports 4 human players simultaneously). In the video it is evident the graphics must be zoomed in, because the 8bit's resolution can't go as high. Portions of the outer area of the screen must be cut off. Okay, but it looks like there could be more on the left and the right. A rectangular picture would be okay. You would have more chance to see those asteroids coming at you.

Any news? Are donations accepted for development on this?

• 3 months later...