IGNORED

Doom Level Hacking Tutorial

neo_rg

Welcome to the Doom Level Hacking Tutorial.

Not much to say other than download the first tutorial, parts 1-3.

I'm now working on the really meaty bit, but trying to break it

down into its basic parts so that everyone can understand. Give

me a little while and I'll upload some more of the tutorial.

(1) Welcome

(2) Getting Started

(3) Hacking Fun!

Don't forget you can ask questions too. Don't be shy now!

TUTORIAL 1-3.ZIP

• Like 7

It's nice to see there have been a few downloads, but as of yet nobody has asked for the special

assets wads, these will help when it comes to making and porting levels. To be honest, if you can

rip them yourself then go for it. But they are freely available from me, all i need is proof that

you own an Atari Jaguar Doom cart. Maybe you are just a visitor or dropping in and don't want to

register to contact me.. no problem.

Email me at this address, attach a photo of your jag cart and I'll send you them. You can't steal

what you already own, once replied to emails will be deleted, you will remain anonymous.

mattsmith(at)gmx.com

next part of the tutorial, will concentrate on making/porting levels. There will be extra text

files outlining what sector effects and linedefs are supported.

• Like 1

Yea, I think people (like me) are just waiting for a bit more of the meaty stuff to appear before we start bugging you for tips ;)

This is great! I'm looking forward to reading more about it.

Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing your experiences. :)

OK here we go the next 2 parts of the tutorial. These quickly cover the basic

concept of making your own maps and porting maps to make them compatible with

Jaguar Doom. Plus 2 text file naming all compatible Lindefs and Sector effects.

(4) Mapping quirks - making you own maps

(5) Mapping quirks - porting maps

+ Linedefs and Sectors text files.

As before, any questions, just ask.

TUTORIAL 4.ZIP

TUTORIAL 5.ZIP

• Like 1

Here we go with the next part of the tutorial, it covers the

preparing of files for the process of "injecting" them into

the Jaguar Doom wad file.

(6) The big hack

I didn't want to overload people with too much stuff so it's

not the real meaty bit of hacking yet. Thats in the next part

of the tutorial.

As before, any questions, just ask.

TUTORIAL 6.ZIP

• Like 1

cool, cant wait for the full set!

i have a small question however, you say you already know the start address of map one, could you please enlighten us how you came by this start address? it isnt mentioned anywhere.

Edited by omf

cool, cant wait for the full set!

i have a small question however, you say you already know the start address of map one, could you please enlighten us how you came by this start address? it isnt mentioned anywhere.

Good question, I should have explained where I got the number from. If you have downloaded the

Jaguar Doom Source archive there will be a file in there called wad.txt, it's incomplete but

list most of the offsets for the lumps contained in the Jaguar Doom wad file. If you scroll

through it to lump #1502 it mentions MAP01, here is a cheeky cut and paste of it.

1502----MAP01-----0-----1481116----0x0000----0x0016999C

1503----THINGS----910--1481116----0x038E----0x0016999C

MAP01 is a zero byte placement marker, and THINGS is the first data file of MAP01, which we are

going to replace with stuff of our own. I hope this helps. Excuse the dashes, it was the only

way i could get it to look correct.

• Like 1

Here we go, the last part of the tutorial, get it while it's hot.

I've really tried to make it as easy to follow as humanly possible.

(7) The big hack continued

As before, any questions... and I'm sure there will be some, just ask.

I may do smaller tutorials to cover certain aspects in depth if it's

needed, but I will do my best to explain stuff here.

Don't forget the assets wads are still available.

TUTORIAL 7.ZIP

• Like 1

cool, cant wait to try this out!

i will be in contact very soon about the asset wads.

a tutorial on compression would be nice as well if you get time :)

Cool, glad someone it going to take up the challenge of hacking a new level or two.

Will work on a tutorial for compression over the bank holiday, it should be pretty

straight forward and link into the current tutorial. I'm thinking of doing another

one along the lines of map and graphics glitches and game crash errors and what has

caused them.

• Like 1

This is pretty cool stuff Neo :)

Seems relativly straightforward to inject a standard Doom .wad map, fantastic work :)

What are the doom asset formats? Would it be possible to make an app to convert the images/audio from the shareware PC doom.wad file into jag format so that people can work with those?

We (Reboot) can help with this if need be :)

This is pretty cool stuff Neo :)

Seems relativly straightforward to inject a standard Doom .wad map, fantastic work :)

What are the doom asset formats? Would it be possible to make an app to convert the images/audio

from the shareware PC doom.wad file into jag format so that people can work with those?

We (Reboot) can help with this if need be :)

Hi CJ, the asset wads I keep talking about are standard PC Doom wads with only the assets used

in the Atari Jaguar Doom, like textures for wall and floors, sprites for all the enemies, pickups and

so on. They contain no sampled sounds, music, maps or anything else. They are just used as 'patch'

wads, so when you make a level and test it using GZDoom, what you see there is what you'll get more

or less when it's injected into the Atari Jaguar Doom rom.

I have already made the needed assets wad and they are freely available from me, all I ask is people

just email me a photo of their Jaguar Doom cartridge they legally own and they will get sent them.

• Like 1

I have already made the needed assets wad and they are freely available from me, all I ask is people

just email me a photo of their Jaguar Doom cartridge they legally own and they will get sent them.

I understand that, I was just wondering if we could extract the assets from the shareware PC wadfile, convert them to the correct Jaguar format, and do away with all the "you must own it" nonsense by using those (as they are freely available to anyone) ?

There are plenty of pc-doom maps available online that work perfectly well with shareware PC Doom - if Carmack/iD objected to people using those assets in their own levels I'm sure we would have heard something by now.

Congrats on the tutorial releases.

Just so you know. I was referred to this from the Doom Shareware readme in doing my initial research on what I can and can't do with Doom source, and assets.

"id Software respectfully requests that you do not modify the levels for the shareware version of DOOM. We feel that the distribution of new levels that work with the shareware version of DOOM will lessen a potential user's incentive to purchase the registered version."

"If you would like to work with modified levels of DOOM, we encourage you to purchase the registered version of the game."

"You shall not: rent, lease, sell, distribute for money or other consideration, modify, translate, disassemble, decompile, reverse engineer, or create derivative works based upon the Software. Notwithstanding the foregoing, you may create a map editor, modify maps and make your own maps (collectively referenced as the "Permitted Derivative Works") for the Software. You may not sell or distribute any Permitted Derivative Works but you may exchange the Permitted Derivative Works at no charge amongst other end-users. In order to commercially distribute any such map editor or data utility you must first sign id's Data Utility License and id reserves the right to deny authorization to commercial distribute the any such map editor or data utility. You may request a copy of the Data Editor License from id."

Basically I was told I needed to do 100% total conversions.

All the other doom ports (zdoom for instance) aren't distributed with shareware or commercial WADs/assets. id does seem to not care about people downloading Doom source ports for their hardware and using the shareware WAD or commercial wads the user owns.

I suspect if you wanted you could make a utility so the user can download the shareware doom and convert the wad themselves with your utility and use that new WAD with Jaguar Doom. That is somewhat suspect though with the way that last paragraph is worded.

The approach we are taking with Death Tongue is to do all new assets. Use nothing from Doom except the GPL'ed source.

For the tools we are going to release, people will be able to take assets from free wad's or create all their own, and pack up a new WAD for use on the Jaquar.

Edited by belboz

Email me at this address, attach a photo of your jag cart and I'll send you them. You can't steal

what you already own, once replied to emails will be deleted, you will remain anonymous.

mattsmith(at)gmx.com

I own a copy of Doom for Jaguar, so this is good to know. :thumbsup:

OK, I had a check through the shareware wad that came with doom. A few things are missing from it,

Cacodemons and flying skulls are not there. BFG is missing, and it only contains the sprites needed

for the few levels, pickup objects and decorations. That is just the start of the missing stuff there

is a whole lot more.

The Jaguar Doom wad has stuff in it that's not available anywhere else, some more colourful textures

and the splat faces. There may be other stuff but I've not really looked into it.

Here is a very small map offset and decimal to hex calculator. If you've read

the tutorial you'll know how to fill it out, the good thing is it now converts

the decimal values to hex, so it saves you using the 010 Editor's base converter.

You'll need Microsoft Excel to use it, and maybe have to instal extended formulas

to make it work. Fill out the grid and print it out, should save a bit of time.

Still working on other tutorials, will post them when they are done.

MAPCALC.ZIP

• 2 months later...

I have re-read this thread and the one sh3-rg made for evaluating the Doom2 level hacks for Jaguar done by neo_rg and I downloaded the tutorials here,... now to try to understand what to do and how to do it!! :P I don't know but I'll try! ;)

Edited by ovalbugmann