IGNORED

SmartBASIC question

JamesD

Does SmartBASIC include the ELSE statement or does it leave it out like Applesoft?

Pretty sure SmartBASIC 1.0 doesnt. Cant say if other versions added it or not. I know of the existance of SmartBASIC 2, Australian SmartBASIC to name a couple, not sure if they added it or not, not up to speed on the other versions.

Does SmartBASIC include the ELSE statement or does it leave it out like Applesoft?

Pretty sure SmartBASIC 1.0 doesnt. Cant say if other versions added it or not. I know of the existance of SmartBASIC 2, Australian SmartBASIC to name a couple, not sure if they added it or not, not up to speed on the other versions.

None of those version supported the IF..THEN..ELSE basic command. The only one that might have is SmartBASIC v1.x by Rich Drushel. This is an incredible version of the basic interpreter but I don't have the manual anymore and would have to find the review in the NIAD newsletter to see if it supports IF-THEN-ELSE... I think it might.

As long as we're on SmartBASIC, does anyone know why the prompt in SmartBASIC turns into a > when you type "INT"?

Again I stand to be corrected but will take a stab at this.

If I recall the INT command was there inherited from Applesoft BASIC. In Applesoft, one could switch from the default floating point basic to integer basic using the INT command. Programs would run faster if variables were all integers and it wouldnt have to deal with decimals. The prompt would change to flag the user which "version" they were using.

If this is the case, typing FP should take you back to floating point basic and change the prompt back.

Despite being able to type both commands in SmartBASIC, I believe nothing happens to the interpreter and you are not really toggling between the two, just changing the prompt.

None of those version supported the IF..THEN..ELSE basic command. The only one that might have is SmartBASIC v1.x by Rich Drushel. This is an incredible version of the basic interpreter but I don't have the manual anymore and would have to find the review in the NIAD newsletter to see if it supports IF-THEN-ELSE... I think it might.

From what I've read, he added all sorts of stuff... but I don't find any mention of 'ELSE' as a keyword in the source which can be downloaded from here:

http://users.stargate.net/~drushel/pub/coleco/twwmca/wk971109.html

He really didn't comment sections of the interpreter very well when he disassembled the original SmartBASIC.

At least that's what it looks like to me.

From what I've read, he added all sorts of stuff... but I don't find any mention of 'ELSE' as a keyword in the source which can be downloaded from here:

http://users.stargate.net/~drushel/pub/coleco/twwmca/wk971109.html

He really didn't comment sections of the interpreter very well when he disassembled the original SmartBASIC.

At least that's what it looks like to me.

There's a full page press release in NIAD Newsletter Issue #80 - Sept. '91 on Joe Blenkle's website, here is the link:

http://www.sacnews.net/adamcomputer/index.html

No If-Then-Else mentioned, but it will give you a better idea of what's available in this version.

Jim

There's a full page press release in NIAD Newsletter Issue #80 - Sept. '91 on Joe Blenkle's website, here is the link:

http://www.sacnews.net/adamcomputer/index.html

No If-Then-Else mentioned, but it will give you a better idea of what's available in this version.

Jim

No ELSE but there is a LOT of other stuff mentioned there.

I would have thought ELSE would have been an obvious addition because it reduces the number of lines you need, which saves memory and makes programs run faster.

To make it easier to port programs from systems besides the Apple I think PRINT@ would be more desirable than LOCATE.

I read somewhere that SmartBASIC 1.X only leaves 17K of free RAM which is pretty limiting. SmartBASIC already has less available RAM than Applesoft so it definitely wouldn't help port apps from Applesoft. However, I see it supports some sort of RAM expansion. If your programs can really make use of that then it sounds pretty interesting.

SmartBasic does support IF...THEN... but not ELSE. At least IF...THEN is listed in the manual...ELSE isn't...

Joe B.

SmartBasic does support IF...THEN... but not ELSE. At least IF...THEN is listed in the manual...ELSE isn't...

Joe B.

I knew it supported IF THEN since Applesoft does... but ELSE can cut down on the number of lines a LOT.

I was porting an Applesoft game to another machine and I thought I could make an intermediate step with BeagleBASIC

Then it occurred to me it might be good to do an Adam port while I was at it.