IGNORED

Free straight cords on refurbished ColecoVision Controllers

Yurkie

It certainly needs heat applied, I think the hardest part is finding a way to hold it perfectly straight while you apply heat. I've tried boiling, and then pulling it straight and letting it dry. I've also tried a heat gun while the wire is held straight between 2 heavy objects. I've gotten mixed results, but ideally I think you'd want some sort of ridged track that you can place the cord in and hold it straight, then apply heat.

It certainly needs heat applied, I think the hardest part is finding a way to hold it perfectly straight while you apply heat. I've tried boiling, and then pulling it straight and letting it dry. I've also tried a heat gun while the wire is held straight between 2 heavy objects. I've gotten mixed results, but ideally I think you'd want some sort of ridged track that you can place the cord in and hold it straight, then apply heat.

"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."

I just did this - here is how:

1. Get a metal can, vegetable, soup etc - the bigger (wider) the better.

2. Remove the label and one end and the contents

3. Clean it

4. Wrap the wire tightly around the outside of the can, bending and twisting to remove the twist

5. Use tape to hold both ends

6. Fill can with boiling water and allow it to sit for an hour

7. Empty and repeat 6

8. Empty and remove wire - if it still has some twist rewrap and repeat #6

Milli

This probably helps avoid that fine line between softening and melting the plastic. Although, with boiling = 212 degF, I wonder if you could just stick the can in the oven and set to 200 degF. Of course, your next casserole may taste like colecovision controller from out-gassing.