IGNORED

My Atlantis 2 Cart, My Story

Scrabbler15

That video was awesome. One of the things I love most about this hobby: there may be limited copies of some of these rare games, but there's seemingly no limit to the number of people who have incredible experiences, stories, and personal histories that are in some way tied to Atari. This tale is by far one of my favorites. Thanks so much for sharing and welcome to AtariAge!

Great story, thanks for sharing.

The Astrosmash story was interesting. I grew up in the Houston area (still live here). I didn't realize that the competition was held here. I wish I had known, too bad I was only 6 or so...

Don't ever sell any of your collection!

Truely amazing. Congrats on all your world class video game high scores and records you earned over the years. Really cool to hear a first hand account of a player of your skill who actually got to compete at all those competitions. It's great to see that you still have all your stuff you won and that you can recall all the details about them so well to share with your fellow gaming geeks :)

Agreed. All these high scores and records make Homer's Galaxian record look like a piece of crap! :P

Truely amazing. Congrats on all your world class video game high scores and records you earned over the years. Really cool to hear a first hand account of a player of your skill who actually got to compete at all those competitions. It's great to see that you still have all your stuff you won and that you can recall all the details about them so well to share with your fellow gaming geeks :)

Agreed. All these high scores and records make Homer's Galaxian record look like a piece of crap! :P

:lol:

Hey everybody (again).

Thanks for all the welcoming messages. I appreciate it. It feels really good to be back.

I may even come out of Dragster retirement.

I'm gonna do my best to answer all of the questions as soon as I can, so hang in there.

You are high on the list of CPUWIZ's "Doubter Smackdown" awards. Well done and welcome to AA. :thumbsup:

Hi everybody. I am new to Atari Age (first post), but I'm not new to Atari, as you'll see.

I have an original, genuine, 1982-built, Imagic-sent, real-deal, authentic, Atlantis 2 cart.

Now, I understand if you are already forming, in your mind, an appropriate response of skepticism, mockery or good-natured derision. (I have to say that I particularly enjoyed seeing Captain Kirk's A2 collection. Awesome.)

But first, check out the videos at the links below. You might even enjoy getting a peek at the 1983 United States Centipede Championship trophy...

[url =

Atlantis 2, My Story - Part 1[/url]

[url =

Atlantis 2, My Story - Part 2

Welcome to AtariAge. Your videos and story was pretty awesome. What other boxed games do you still have from back in the day? Also, do you recall how many other contests you were in? You mention the Air Raid boxed game on eBay in your video, so does that mean you plan on selling your boxed Atlantis 2?

A lot of my 2600 boxed stuff was lost in the basement flooding (which is one of the reasons I'm really amazed that A2 survived.) I still have the box for Decathalon and Private Eye, and I have a bunch of loose carts. I also found out today that I have more stuff in my in-law's basement. They are in another state 9 hours away, so I have to wait to see what I have there.

My boxed 5200 list is better:

Pacman

Baseball

Centipede

Tennis

Pole Position

Countermeasure

I also have a loose Robotron and a loose Dig Dug for the 5200.

As far as other contests, I'm not sure I remember them all.

I won a local contest at a mall when Enduro was released. The prize was ten Activision games and a football with signatures from the Pittsburgh Steelers.

There was a tournament for an arcade game called Track and Field (Konami) that was 4 weekly contests. I won all 4 weeks at my local arcade, but didn't win the grand prize, which was a Jeep. I actually got to see the guy play that did win, and it became all too clear that my fingers weren't fast enough.

I played in the 1990 Nintendo Championships. I have two semi-finalist shirts from that. This was the Super Mario, Rad Racer, Tetris combo. I was actually in the number 1 qualifying chair for the city finals. My tetris game failed me when I need it most, but it was still a blast.

It seems like there were a couple of other NES contests on Top Gun and a NASCAR game that was sponsored by Bill Elliott.

Oh yeah, there was another NES contest for a cart called Treasure Master. The contest was unique in that there was a code that was made available to everyone at the same time that opened up the contest part of the cart. First one to find the treasure got the big cash prize. I got one of the second place prizes, which was a Super NES.

On the subject of A2, I am probably going to auction it. To sell or not to sell, that is always the question. But that is the thinking right now.

• Like 1

I wasn't expecting much when I clicked on your Youtube video and well it was quite a surprise! Seemed you had more and more treasures to share than just a boring old Atlantis II game!

I encourage you to scan your photos & certificates and create a website chronicling your experiences as an early 'professional' video gamer.

Do you remember your final score and what was your reaction when the contest was canceled?

I don't remember my A2 score. It seems like it was like 750 or 770, I just don't remember exactly. What I do remember is that empty feeling when I opened the letter that said Activision was not going to honor Imagic's contest commitments. i wanted to know if I won or lost, but, instead, the result was a great big empty. Just another day in the life of an Atari gamer.

• Like 2

I absolutely LOVE stuff like this. That a guy can roll onto AA for the first time with such an awesome story is what keeps me coming back.

Scrabbler, you rule and your story is fantastic. Thanks for sharing. More please. :-)

Chuck

P.S.: I don't know where you live, but if it's anywhere near Portland, OR we'd love to have you tell your story at the Portland Retro Gaming Expo in September.

I'm east coast, so probably not (but who knows). Sounds like a lot of fun.

• Like 1

Where did you work back in 1983 or so when you were playing these games? Luckily, it sounds like your wife was very supportive.

I graduated college in May of 1983 and started working October 1983. So the timing of the Centipede contest was impeccable for my situation at the time.

Yes, my wife has always been great with it. We got our first 2600 with wedding money. She is still with me 28 years later and no guy could ask for anyone better.

• Like 3

WOW!! Wicked stuff!

Curious, what country took 1st in the Centipede worlds??

Must say, thats the nicest cleanest cart I've ever seen. Good stuff! icon_thumbsup.gif

The gold medalist was from Middlesex England.

I always said that he finished ahead of me, because he had the home continent advantage.

Ahhh. d'oh! what were the final scores between you and him?

Again grats on all your amazing achievements!!

His score was 322,944. Mine was 290, 986. I think it was a total of two 10 minute timed games.

• Like 1

I really enjoyed your videos and stories.KEEP them coming!!!!

Also,don't sell your patches,medals,intv shirt ,atlantis 2 game.Dont sell any of it!!!!

Also,i see you have a wii.What games do you like on it? what classic games did you download?

My favorite WII game is WII Sports Resort. I haven't really started downloading the classic games. I did download the original NES Legend of Zelda, which I played through to the end years ago. But now it's sort of new again, because I don't remember where everything is anymore.

• Like 1