IGNORED

Discuss Atari History with Nolan Bushnell

Albert

• 2 months later...

Wasn't sure if anyone else had made it to D.C. for the opening of the Art of Video Games exhibit at the Smithsonian, and if so if you'd attended the presentation given by Nolan. It was interesting to hear him speak, and it definitely comes across that he's a salesman. As someone who's been interested in the history of video games for a long, long time, there wasn't anything new per se that I heard. But it was a great presentation none the less.

Though I realize that you more than likely never hit this site any more, thanks Nolan!

• 3 months later...

I would like to ask the venerable inventor of the home video game industry what he would have done further with the Atari line of home computers between the time of his sale to Warner and the mid 80s when Jack Tramiel purchased Atari?

And also if he has ever discussed with the current owners of the IP if they would consider commissioning any more hardware products like the flashback and joystick based 2600 units?

I'm not sure if this was asked and I'm not sure if NolanB connects to AtariAge anymore. But in any case, I'm going ask the question that most people have been asking for a while.

Mr. Nolan, Why can Atari start thinking about a new Console? Just the Atari brand itself should help to sell it. Is it funding? I would love to hear your answer. I would also like to know what do you envision of an Atari Console of the 21st century!

I heard people say that now it will be too hard because Xbox , Nintendo and Sony PS dominate the market. But it hasn't always been true and it will not always be true.

thanks

Today it is impossible to start from scratch, and Microsoft wasted billions of whoring money from their substandard software product sales just to get mildly buttraped by Sony (as Nintendo were during N64 and Gamecube generation) and last long enough to create the 360. However both the PS4 and 360 successor will be cheap rubbish cut down PCs inside with x86-64 CPUs and off the shelf PC graphics card GPUs. The next generation will be the first time that on launch day a PC of sufficient money will be massively superior to the console, a first in the history of gaming and a sign of the lack of genuine innovation in that area (because Sony are cash starved and Microsoft are greedy sods with drop in sales of their crappy OS and Office products nobody wants to change to newer versions of)

• 6 months later...

This has probably been asked but i'm going to ask it anyway

Given that the original Pong unit was a demo only (according to the link i put up about Atari pong in the coin op section here) was the demo unit designned by Bushnell himself or Did Al(lan) Alcorn design it

Just to point out i am only talking about the demo unit only not the actual coin op system

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/205895-happy-birthday-atari-pongataris-1st-commercial-success/

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/how-atari-s-pong-started-the-video-game-revolution-40-years-ago-165259921.html

• 2 weeks later...

It's great to have you here Mr. Bushnell.

I have one question. Did you attend Magnavox's private demonstration of the Odyssey in Burlingame, CA? And if so, was this the inspiration for PONG?

-Major Magnavox

Nolan is long gone from posting on this thread and actually he never gave a sh*t anyway. Now after saying that, I need to get ready for the onslaught that is sure to insue.

• 4 weeks later...

Nolan is long gone from posting on this thread and actually he never gave a sh*t anyway. Now after saying that, I need to get ready for the onslaught that is sure to insue.

Onslaught? why? you spoke the TRUTH!!!

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

What makes you think he never gave a shit? Surely if that was true he would've never started posting in this topic in the first place.

Seems more like it was the abusive posters who drove him away.

• 9 months later...

Just gave my 4 year old daughter an AG Bear for her birthday. Bringing back all kinds of childhood memories. Thanks, Nolan.

Nokan hasn't been around for a few years, hopefully he will drop in again

A cynic would say he was only here as a marketing ploy that wasn't panning out.

Definately not the case, he signed up here Imeadiately after I contacted him about people talking shit about him.

• 4 weeks later...

Nokan hasn't been around for a few years, hopefully he will drop in again

Definately not the case, he signed up here Imeadiately after I contacted him about people talking shit about him.

Talking shit? Everything Curt and I talked about in that thread was accurate, backed up and still is. And it wasn't him initially (his family sometimes operates his Facebook, email, and twitter). Curt's talked with him enough in the past both in person, phone, email, etc. to know how Nolan actually talks. And as Ted pointed out, Nolan himself knows full well that Ted has two daughters. His older daughter even used to babysit for Nolan's kids and hang out at the mansion all the time. Nolan came in midway in the conversation, and afterwords Curt and Nolan had a private skype session (I have the transcript) to work things out and Ted talked to him several times. This has all been moved on from, why troll and start it up again?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I would really love to meet Mr. Bushnell and maybe have him sign one of my boxed Heavy sixers...also...to tell him how much my 4 year old loves Chuck E. Cheese...!!!!!

Maybe...someone might know when he'll be around to East Coast for something soon...!?!?!