1. 1. I'm interested in:

• RAM 320XL naked version
    • RAM 320XL full version
    • RAM 320XE
    • RAM 576+

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi.

I am potentially interested in this. I saw mention of the problems some users are having. Has anyone been able to nail down the issue and resovle it? Also, it seems like it may be something that happens on the 800XL. I have a 600XL that I'd use it on. Has there been any problems with the 600XL reported?

Also, is there any extra flash memory to store programs to be loaded during boot up? I'd love to be able to store a few versions of the Atari 8-bit OS and switch between them when necessary via a reset, or power on/off cycle.

Do you hae anymore complete versions (aka with casing)?

Thanks

John

The "problem" you refer to is probably the Phi2 clock stabilty issue which can happen with many upgrades.

I've got a Ram 320XL and it works fine on both 800xl and 600xl.

There's no flash memory or OS replacement in it, the whole point of the upgrade was to do what it does at a low cost point. If you want big Ram + switchable OS then Ultimate 1 Meg is what you should go after - thread for that is elsewhere.

Rybags,

Thanks for the info. I am aware of the Ultimate 1MB and will be getting it for my XEGS. I liked the idea of this project because I wouldn't have to send out my 600XL to someone to have the upgrade soldered to the computer.

Thanks

John

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Yes, it works excellently, but you must use the MyDos Ramboot.Aut file renamed to be Autorun.Sys with 4.50 or xxxx.AR0 (if using 4.53, 4.55, etc.) Do not use Ramboot3.Aut.

Use the "O" config command from the DUP.SYS menu and answer the prompts. Remember to just hit RETURN when it first asks for "Drive Number or RETURN." MyDos should automatically detect the Ram320XL and set up it's ramdisk tables appropriately. Remember to write the new Dos system files (H) after making the config. changes. If you do not, then MyDos will boot up the next time and set things up for no ramdisk.

One other tip -- make sure you have a good, uncorrupted copy of MyDos to modify for the ramdisk. 4.55 B4 is the best version, but the others back to 4.50 are good, also.

And one last tip/question -- do you have your Ram320 XL module powered on the PBI connector or "pig tail" connector?

-Larry

Hello guys

And if you're using MyDOS 4.55, why not use MyRD2 instead of RAMBOOT. MYRD2 auto-detects the size of the RAMdisk on bootup. Which is very nice if you decide to use your RAM 320XL and/or use your disks (floppy, hard, solid state, whatever) on different machines.

Sincerely

Mathy

PS both MYDOS 4.55 beta 4 and MYRD(2) can be found on my MyDOS page.

Hello guys

And if you're using MyDOS 4.55, why not use MyRD2 instead of RAMBOOT. MYRD2 auto-detects the size of the RAMdisk on bootup. Which is very nice if you decide to use your RAM 320XL and/or use your disks (floppy, hard, solid state, whatever) on different machines.

Sincerely

Mathy

PS both MYDOS 4.55 beta 4 and MYRD(2) can be found on my MyDOS page.

For me, the original MyDos ramdisk seems to work better. I've tried MyRD2 several times and always end up going back to Ramboot.Aut.

I can't be more specific -- that's just how it has worked for me.

-Larry