IGNORED

HSC Season 7 Game 9: Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Parker Bros Version 16K. ROM and ATR versions available.

Game Closes on Sunday 16th 10am GMT :)

Atarimania rating 8.1

I've only played the Utopia copy so will be interested to see what was changed for the official release ;) Take the default level 1 unless anyone thinks this is too easy :ponder: :!:

Is that the one with the fire pit bug fix?

Edit: Actually you wouldn't know if you only played the Utopia version. There are a couple rooms that are screwed up in the Parker Brothers version, where you can get stuck in a fire pit. Somebody fixed that bug. We should play the bug-fixed version.

Edited by Mr.Amiga500

Is that the one with the fire pit bug fix?

Edit: Actually you wouldn't know if you only played the Utopia version. There are a couple rooms that are screwed up in the Parker Brothers version, where you can get stuck in a fire pit. Somebody fixed that bug. We should play the bug-fixed version.

As you're the one who suggested this we'll take your advice ;) atarionline.pl usually have various versions maybe you can identify the correct one if the ATR from atarimania has the bugs? Please can you confirm this? :D

p.s. I take it you've been practicing for two weeks instead of playing pac-man ;)

Are there any maps online somewhere of this game?

Maps? You want maps?? That's cheating! Cheater! Yeah... you heard me.

How would i get this sword on level 1 without getting killed?

You don't. That sword is probably the only place in the game where your death actually gets you something. It's nice because it quickly turns your anger into a mild acceptance and stops you mid-swear. It goes something like this: "Ah SHI-... oh... at least I got the sword."

Are there any maps online somewhere of this game?

Maps? You want maps?? That's cheating! Cheater! Yeah... you heard me.

How would i get this sword on level 1 without getting killed?

You don't. That sword is probably the only place in the game where your death actually gets you something. It's nice because it quickly turns your anger into a mild acceptance and stops you mid-swear. It goes something like this: "Ah SHI-... oh... at least I got the sword."

lol, the 8 bit HSC has been alot more fun since you started taking part. :)

Edited by roadrunner

lol, the 8 bit HSC has been alot more fun since you started taking part. :)

Well, we'll see if you still feel that way after I pass you in the standings. :D

I died stupidly 6 times in a row because my joystick kept jamming. It's a sad thing to see your guy land on his head with leg twitching in the air... 6 times in a row! I got past that to the screen you see below, then inexplicably jumped into the same snake twice (after level 4, bad guys that killed you don't disappear). Time to fix my joystick.

Lame. I refuse to play this pathetically dumb game. Why can't you put any of MY suggestions on the voting list??? ;) ;) J/K

Time to get playin'!

You see what happens when I give in to Mr.A ;) this isn't a democracy, well apart from the vote bit, erm ... no worries next vote will add some of yours :) (and then vote for one of mine :evil: )

Am downloading Monty now, had a copy of P.Bros. ver but it had 250 lives and I thought this was cheating, too much... even for me :ponder: . There's a lot of comments on atarimania, some say Utopia ver is better (even though you can't complete it), I did map this once, there is a map on http://mapy.atari8.info/montezuma.php but I don't know what ver it's from.

If anyone wants to suggest any other games to play add them to the games list. even though I came 6th at pac-man don't think you're all going to get a win this season even if you do suggest crazy versions of games I've never heard of :D

Lame. I refuse to play this pathetically dumb game. Why can't you put any of MY suggestions on the voting list??? ;) ;) J/K

That comment makes me want to slap you across the face with a large octopus. (hmm...squid will work too... I'll decide later) :D

This game is one of the best games of all time! Pathetically dumb?? I think not. (...he said, while discretely reaching into the squid tank)

I was a bit rusty; you know I wonder if jumping there will kill me?, yep, I wonder if I can...? nope, anyway I made it to the torch (yes divya, the torch ;) ). Nice game even though the hero has changed from Pedro to Panama Joe :)

I think it makes more sense to have a white guy plundering native treasures. Besides that, I think the gameplay is much smoother. You don't have that annoying delay when entering rooms and the enemies are better placed.

There are actually 4 torches on each level (except the starting levels 1 & 2 - which have 2 and 3), so anybody who can't find one must be a real loser ;). For fun, I used to complete levels carrying all 4 torches - tricky when you can only carry 5 items. As you get to the upper levels, the darkness gets higher and higher. On level 9, you have to basically do the whole thing in the dark - until you can get to a torch.

Time to get playin'!

You see what happens when I give in to Mr.A ;) this isn't a democracy, well apart from the vote bit, erm ... no worries next vote will add some of yours :) (and then vote for one of mine :evil: )

I tried to change the game today by voting, but that thread is locked. Too bad there's no time machine.

Ever notice that most people who pick the game don't play the game. What kind of democracy is this! Perhaps, they want to see others torture each other.

If anyone wants to suggest any other games to play add them to the games list. even though I came 6th at pac-man don't think you're all going to get a win this season even if you do suggest crazy versions of games I've never heard of :D

Well pacman is a standard well-known game so can't complain about that.

Actually, I spent my time playing a text-based Pac Man clone on my Kaypro. :D (it's called "CATCHUM")

Here's the bug-fixed version:

Can we settle on which version we are playing here? Does someone have snapshot of the screen with the bug. I was just about to download the Atarimania version when I saw the above message.

I like Montezuma's Revenge, to be honest I would have suggested it if you didn't. :D I suck at it though.

Oh... OK. (...casually puts squid back in tank)

Actually, I spent my time playing a text-based Pac Man clone on my Kaypro. :D (it's called "CATCHUM")

Here's the bug-fixed version:

Can we settle on which version we are playing here? Does someone have snapshot of the screen with the bug. I was just about to download the Atarimania version when I saw the above message.

Here's a screenshot of the "fire pit bug". There's supposed to be a bridge across that fire pit, two skulls, a torch at the end. There are three other screens around it that are screwed up. Strangely, you can climb a rope from the screen below this one and stand at the bottom of the pit - then if you jump, you get fried.

(As a side note, this is the first time I copied a game directly from Amiga to SD card to use in Atari with SDrive - no PC used. It sure is neat having USB on my Amiga.)

Edit: The second picture is the bug-fixed version.... but different level, so different colour. Notice how the bug causes the score area to get screwed up. (I already killed the two skulls - they came at me too fast to take a picture of them.)

Edited by Mr.Amiga500
  • Like 1

That comment makes me want to slap you across the face with a large octopus. (hmm...squid will work too... I'll decide later) :D

This game is one of the best games of all time! Pathetically dumb?? I think not. (...he said, while discretely reaching into the squid tank)

I was a bit rusty; you know I wonder if jumping there will kill me?, yep, I wonder if I can...? nope, anyway I made it to the torch (yes divya, the torch ;) ). Nice game even though the hero has changed from Pedro to Panama Joe :)

I think it makes more sense to have a white guy plundering native treasures. Besides that, I think the gameplay is much smoother. You don't have that annoying delay when entering rooms and the enemies are better placed.

There are actually 4 torches on each level (except the starting levels 1 & 2 - which have 2 and 3), so anybody who can't find one must be a real loser ;). For fun, I used to complete levels carrying all 4 torches - tricky when you can only carry 5 items. As you get to the upper levels, the darkness gets higher and higher. On level 9, you have to basically do the whole thing in the dark - until you can get to a torch.

Doesn't the torch go away by itself after some time or is that something else? I think I picked up a torch and there was a snake that starting blinking.

Doesn't the torch go away by itself after some time or is that something else? I think I picked up a torch and there was a snake that starting blinking.

Surely it started hissing :?: I think there's two types of torches the pole 'short' type that gets you through a few things while they flash and the flame 'longer' type that light up the rooms, might be making this up now, I think if you find a dark room go back as you've missed a torch somewhere... this may be completely wrong am sure Mr.A. can advise. [edit] the instructions on the databyte version look the most comprehensive.

Atariksi think the version posted by Mr.A is our best bet :)

Must I explain everything? ;)

There is only one type of torch. The other "pole thing" is not a torch. It just temporarily prevents enemies from killing you. (I always think of it as a snake charmer.) Take a look at the bug-fixed picture I posted. The torch is at the far left. The other two things are the "snake charmers". (...they have a name, but I just can't think of it at the moment) Believe me, you really need both of those things for that room - especially in later levels when "chain things" are added.

Once you've got the torch (real torch, I mean), you can't get rid of it until you end the level.

Must I explain everything? ;)

There is only one type of torch. The other "pole thing" is not a torch. It just temporarily prevents enemies from killing you. (I always think of it as a snake charmer.) Take a look at the bug-fixed picture I posted. The torch is at the far left. The other two things are the "snake charmers". (...they have a name, but I just can't think of it at the moment) Believe me, you really need both of those things for that room - especially in later levels when "chain things" are added.

Once you've got the torch (real torch, I mean), you can't get rid of it until you end the level.

Page 6 AMULETS is wot they iz :D

After my (failed) efforts to describe how to play Zone Ranger using snacks and popular breakfast cereals I thought I'd see how you got on ;)