Photo

Assembly on the 99/4A

727 replies to this topic

#726 Vorticon OFFLINE  

Vorticon

River Patroller

• 3,162 posts

Posted Sun May 13, 2018 7:12 AM

A simple resistor and capacitor on the switch tied to the LOAD input would have provided some simple hardware debounce and the software loop would probably not be necessary.

The problem with this approach for Vorticon's purposes is that the LOAD is being driven by a microcontroller, so the input is not bouncing.

If that is the case then a timeout is not going to solve this, interrupts will continue to come.  Several things come to mind:

1. Disable interrupts immediately upon entering the routine, and re-enable them when you are done.  Keep in mind though, that if the interrupts are coming in fast and furious, it could easily overwhelm the 99/4A.  As soon as you are done with the routine and re-enable interrupts, another could be right there waiting.

2. Modify the SmallyMouse code to limit the interrupt rate.  The code is available, I had to compile it myself and load it on the microcontroller.

3. You could put a triggered one-shot between the interrupt and the 99/4A to limit the interrupt rate.  Once an interrupt triggers the one-shot, any more interrupts are blocked until the one-shot timeout, which you could adjust to something sensible (once every 30ms or so would be a mouse update every two video frames).

You are absolutely correct Matt. I just thought the debouncing in software trick was neat.

Unfortunately, there is no way to disable the LOAD interrupt as it is umaskable. As for modifying the SmallyMouse code, it would be easier to just use an arduino with USB support like the Teensy++ and just decode the USB packets coming from the mouse (they have a standard format) and output direct positional data to a few pins without having to worry about quadrature encoding, phase shifts and all that messy stuff. That way a simple connection to the PIO port will work perfectly. This is actually what I want to experiment with next. The SmallyMouse was really designed to connect to vintage computers already equipped with a mouse port (Amiga, Atari ST, Electron etc...) and I have found that it's more pain than it's worth to try adapting it to mouseless systems. As to your third option, it requires additional hardware which would defeat the purpose...

#727 matthew180 OFFLINE  

matthew180

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,492 posts

Posted Sun May 13, 2018 3:29 PM

Yeah, I think I was attracted to the device for coin-op purposes, since it outputs the same signals as an arcade-style track-ball.  But unless you have a system designed to accept that type of input, then it is probably more trouble than it is worth, as you pointed out.

#728 Tursi OFFLINE  

Tursi

Quadrunner

• 5,055 posts
  • HarmlessLion

Posted Sun May 13, 2018 11:40 PM

The LOAD interrupt on the 9900 /is/ level triggered, but after any interrupt you get one instruction before interrupts are enabled again - so the CLR is safe.

We had a chat about this in another thread a few years ago: http://atariage.com/...t-the-side-port

Classic99 won't let you see the effects of CLRing the workspace vector, as it refuses to trigger a LOAD interrupt if the vector's not filled out, but it will still work since the first trigger happens. ;) I hadn't seen that trick before I coded support. The real console will keep re-triggering the interrupt for as long as the pin is low.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users